Zeiss Victory RF Binocular Review, By Matt Cashell

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Also check out Matt's video review on our YouTube page if you don't like reading.

[video=youtube_share;7fQ6OuwnVPA]https://youtu.be/7fQ6OuwnVPA[/video]

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
what are the options for Tripod mounting with this bino/combo? It was mentioned the battery compartment takes the place of the stud, so is the only option a universal mount that has a strap over the top?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
what are the options for Tripod mounting with this bino/combo? It was mentioned the battery compartment takes the place of the stud, so is the only option a universal mount that has a strap over the top?

Unfortunately yes. Something like the Bog Pod binocular rest will probably work, but the big strap may also get in the way of the buttons if you’re not careful.

I wonder if a thicker battery compartment lid with a 1/4-20 socket could be developed. Maybe Outdoorsmans will come out with a compartment lid with their stud system, too.

bpurtz

WKR
What is your opinion on how the Zeiss Victory RF compare to the Leica Geovid HD-B?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
What is your opinion on how the Zeiss Victory RF compare to the Leica Geovid HD-B?

I haven’t field tested the HD-B. I have only seen them under showroom conditions.

The big differences I see by the specs are the necessity to use a microSD for custom ballistic data, a limit of 1200 yards for horizontal data, buttons only on the right, porro prisms, and a wider FOV spec.

ultraedge

FNG
I haven’t field tested the HD-B. I have only seen them under showroom conditions.

The big differences I see by the specs are the necessity to use a microSD for custom ballistic data, a limit of 1200 yards for horizontal data, buttons only on the right, porro prisms, and a wider FOV spec.

How much better was the ranging performance after the firmware installation?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
How much better was the ranging performance after the firmware installation?

Hard to quantify, but it definitely ranged quicker up to 1200 yards and much more consistently past there towards the 2000 yard range. Still, bigger and more reflective targets definitely help at those really long ranges.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
How does the glass compare to the Victory SF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the optics of the RF.

The SF is a top quality roof binocular, but the field flattening isn't ideal. While the SF maintains better edge sharpness than the RF, and the field flattening reduces overall distortion. The problem is there is some remaining distortion, which I describe as complicated. You can read about it in my review of the SF:

Review: Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 - Rokslide

The RF is not field flattened and doesn't have perfect edge sharpness, but it degrades very near the edge and sort of smoothly transitions, which combined with the minor pincushion distortion makes for a very natural viewing experience. The image is similar to the Swarovski SLC or Zeiss HT.

TravKatQ

WKR
I prefer the optics of the RF.

The SF is a top quality roof binocular, but the field flattening isn't ideal. While the SF maintains better edge sharpness than the RF, and the field flattening reduces overall distortion. The problem is there is some remaining distortion, which I describe as complicated. You can read about it in my review of the SF:

Review: Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 - Rokslide

The RF is not field flattened and doesn't have perfect edge sharpness, but it degrades very near the edge and sort of smoothly transitions, which combined with the minor pincushion distortion makes for a very natural viewing experience. The image is similar to the Swarovski SLC or Zeiss HT.

Matt,

Thanks for the response and thanks for the comparison. I’m definitely leaning towards rangefinding bino’s for reasons you described in your review about simplicity of having multifunction gear. I almost missed out on a couple animals this year due to having to drop my pack and fumble around trying to dig out the rangefinder... can definitely My current glass is swaro els and as I’m considering the zeiss rf’s I don’t wanna skimp on glass as I spend a lot of my time behind bino’s. Wish I could get my hands on some but kind find any locally.
-Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Travis,

As long as they can afford them, I estimate very few hunters will be dissatisfied with the optics of the RF.

They are really good.

The ELs have the best field flattening that I have seen in a 10X42, and I really like them myself, but I still prefer the RFs overall for their awesome rangefinding capabilities AND great optics.

Broomd

WKR
Travis,

As long as they can afford them, I estimate very few hunters will be dissatisfied with the optics of the RF.

That's the biggie, right there. Zeiss nailed it with these, but the price is stratospheric for the average hunter.

Great write-up!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That's the biggie, right there. Zeiss nailed it with these, but the price is stratospheric for the average hunter.

Great write-up!

Thanks!

I actually think there are quite a few Roksliders that have the same or more money into their binocular and rangefinder, and they have to carry two devices around.

PA Hunter

WKR
I have been using my Zeiss 10X45 RF for like 6 years or so now I have nothing bad at all to say. Took them to Montana Elk ranged my truck at 1700 yards away. Had them to Newfoundland 3 times in poring rain no fogging at all and Wyoming twice. Crystal clear glass and nice to range in one motion already glassing. I love them.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Anyone else get their hands on these? Exhausted the resources I could find online, would be interested to see more, specifically in regards to glass quality as compared to other alphas and if there is future plans to connect with kestrel.

Wondering how close these get to victory glass.

223dude

WKR
OutdoorAg,
I'v had my set for 2 months.

I would say the glass is equal to my 10x42 Victory.
The range finder is really good out to 1700 yrds on elk & 1200 yrds on Deer.
The Ballistic calculator works good, but I have not tested it shooting more then 800 yrds yet.

The glass is way better then my set of leica hdb 2700 I sold.
I compared it to my buddy's EL range and el has a slighty bigger sweet
spot but its not as sharp as my Zeiss.

I don't know anything about there plans to connect with kestrel.