Zero turns

I bought a John Deere 915 6 or 7 years ago for $8K. I wanted the tougher build quality and roll bar. I have some steep hills to mow which gets exciting at times with a zero turn. So, I went with the "lowest" grade commercial. I'm at 235 hours on it.

It's done well, and my backyard has weeds, briars, and large rocks in it. If I forget where a rock is it's taken the hit and keeps on ticking.

Residential mowers are complete trash and disposable in my opinion these days. The commercial grade seems to be more durable at least.

I had a 30+ yr old JD 318 before this zero turn. That thing was a TANK, but was so old keeping it going was a PITA so I had to get rid of it.

My first Scag/Kawasaki lasted 25 years and I used it like a brush hog. I purchased another and I'm confident it will out last me. There are a lot of good zeros with good track records. I have a preference for things overbuilt and Scag commercial is a tank.

Maintenance is key.
I use a blow gun/wand from my compressor to keep the engine and deck/spindles clean after mowing. Never spray with water.
Change oil regularly, keep the air filter clean or replace it and hit the grease zerks especially spindles a couple of times during mowing season. Keep limbs out of the yard and the blades will last longer.

Long story short the mother in law is buying a house with a large yard and has a bunch of neighbors (5) who are all about same size 2-4 acres.

They have "conned" me into doing some lawn care.
Are you caring for one 2-4 acre yard or five of them? There's a pretty big difference in how much mower you need for 2-4 acres vs 10-20 acres (unless you just have lots of time to spare). If it's the latter acre range, you'll likely need to increase your budget or buy used or both.

Either bag or mulch I'd prefer to just use a mulching set up

As for the rest they want it to look good but no reason for Augusta quality.
What part of the country are we talking about, and is it irrigated? The reason I ask is grass varies a lot across the country and how wet the ground stays would steer my decision on how heavy of a machine I would look at. I have a 61" commercial unit that's built like a tank- Where I live the spring and fall are wet and I irrigate all summer, the grass stays pretty damp, and I need to be damn careful and change mowing patterns consistently to prevent rutting.
I mow and bag 2+ acres twice a week this time of year and wouldn't want any narrower of a deck. Larger decks will complicate bagging grass even with the best side mount blowers. Walker and I believe grasshopper have a rear discharge from the deck that helps with this albeit not perfect.
When I mulch certain areas in the summer, I will make the first few passes with an Accelerator attachment to keep clippings out of the beds or off the driveway and prevent wind-rowing, but prefer to bag anywhere we walk, or the dogs might be to prevent tracking clippings around.

I have had both exmark and grasshopper. Can't go wrong with either. My yard is 3 acres with plenty of stuff to mow around, it takes about 2 hours with a 61in deck grasshopper 200v.

I bought a used toro in 2018 and I’m ready to trade it in. Not extremely happy with it as I’m constantly replacing parts on it. My next one will be a cub cadet with the steering wheel to handle hills and banks a little better.

If you are cutting 2-4 acres regularly, I would think you should get a 60" machine. You may be able to get by with a Tractor Supply or Lowes zero turn but I would recommend something better like several that have been previously mentioned. I cut 2-4 acres at my house and have a commercial grade 60" Dixie Chopper which is about 12 years old and it does very well. It costs more than $9k twelve years ago. Pay once, cry once.

i bought a 2016 exmark pioneer used in May 2020, it's got a 52" deck and had 160 hours when i bought it. Currently, it has 310 hours, and i typically get through my 2 acre yard in 70 minutes. With 20 hp and a 52" deck, it does bog down a bit when the grass is particularly tall or wet, i'd prefer it to have a 25 hp motor. Otherwise, it's been a really good machine. replaced the deck belt once, otherwise it's just been routine maintenance. my yard is mostly open, few trees, several larger obstacles (sand box, pool, garden), and this mower is about the right size for my yard. If i was mowing the neighborhood i'd definitely want to jump up to a 60" scag, lazermark, or other top tier commercial mower just for the time savings.

even with a 2 acre yard, there is nothing at a chain store that i would consider buying. go to a real mower shop where the well built machines are sold.

Raptor Hustler. Most folks in my neighborhood use them, and recommended it to me. It's 5 years old, and I'm very happy with it. Only had to replace the battery last year. I had the choice of a Kawasaki engine, or a Kohler. I chose the Kawasaki. I use synthetic oil in the engine, change it once a season.
This is the way. I have the smallest Raptor and it just goes. 21 horse kawasaki, no issues in 10 years. Deck is bulletproof.

Buying a used low hours commercial mower would be my recommendation. Whatever brand you choose pick one which can be serviced near by you. Personally I am a fan of Ferris, however any of the big names will serve you well so long as you have the support nearby.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're looking at 15 acres of mowing or so. I do my 3.5 acres with a 60" deck Hustler which kicks butt timewise but still takes too long. I can't imagine doing more with less deck.

A stander is probably best....something you can put the platform up and walk behind also....ymmv.

I use a Grandstand 52".

Been happy with my bad boy zero turn so far, bought it at tractor supply within your budget
This will be my choice once I can swing it as well. I watched a ton of Youtube comparison videos, and BB have excellent build quality and use heavier gauge welded steel than most if not all the competition with the same engine choices as everybode else. I also like the different comfort ride choices. I'll be getting a 60" deck, Kawasaki motor and air ride.

2024 Bad Boy line up

Most of these zero turns use the same trannies and motors. So you need to pay attention to the gauge of steel, convenience options, ride quality, and access to engine and components for maintenance.

Last edited:
Go by a few different dealers (especially the ones that actually service their mowers) & tell them your situation. People trade them in just like tractors or vehicles. I bought my commercial grade Toro for about half price with a couple hundred hours on it. The previous owner just wanted to upgrade to a new one. They even replaced a bad coil a couple weeks after I bought it for free.
This☝️
Bought a commercial grade hustler that was traded in by landscaping crews for newer models, saved about 40% off new and still got the warranty. Those things are like tanks and will hold up, especially for personal use.

Definitely not true, cheap residential zero turns don't do a very good job cutting grass, plus they are built really cheap, and you'll need to visit your chiropractor after every time you mow.
OP, if your dead set on zero turn make sure you one buy one with suspension.
We've been mowing roughly 3 acres for 20 years now with a Kubota compact tractor and 60" belly mower. The only suspension is the flotation tires and it beats the hell out of you after a couple hours. If you're going to spend $5-7k on a mower suspension or air ride seat should be a requirement.

Hustler Super Z has mowed my 5 acres for the last 8 years. Zero problems.
I also have a John Deere and a Ferris but the Hustler seems to do all the work.

I would also say that a good dealer/service company would weigh heavily on my decision. Definitely any mower you buy should NOT be a homeowner version. Commercial mower only.

Back