Zig Zulu HDX 6 Stabilizing Info Request

For those that have owned or spent time with wanted to get your thoughts. I looked through them outside for a few min and was amazed. I’m used to using my meoptas on a tripod.

Thinking of picking them up mainly for being able to glass effectively while hiking or when making stalks and you are shaking due to nerves

1. Any long term reviews of how they hold up?
2. Do they fit in normal bino harness? I have the KUIU harness
3. Do you need to turn the stabilizing switch off each time you put your binos into your chest harness and continue hiking?
4. Any issues you have experienced?
5. How is the low light in the 12x version?
6. Anything else you’d like to add?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JStol5

WKR
I believe GoHunt has a podcast where they talk about these. I’ve seen one of their guys Brady Miller mention them.

OP
T
I believe GoHunt has a podcast where they talk about these. I’ve seen one of their guys Brady Miller mention them.

Any chance you remember what podcast or how long ago?

I bought the 16x back in late August and so far had them on successful elk and moose hunts. I’ll admit I’m not the best glasser or spotter in my group of hunting buddies, but with these I was spotting things first most of the time. The first time I tested them against my Meopta 10x, I was glassing a sage brush and juniper hill across my porch roughly 1 mile out. I glassed for 20 seconds with the Meoptas, nothing caught my eye. As soon as I grabbed the zulu6’s I glassed up 2 bucks bedded under a juniper. I was sold. They also came in very handy judging moose where it was a 50” or 3 brow tine minimum. I was first to spot more than a few animals on that hunt.

The glass isn’t on par with the meoptas, but it’s not apples to apples as the meoptas were 10x. At 16x on the Zulu it does pick up a fair bit of mirage depending on conditions. Glass doesn’t quite pop, and I have some annoying issues with glare at times. I bought one of those neoprene shields to test out on a hunt this weekend to see if that helps my glare/flaring issues.

In the end I’ve been super happy with them and my negatives aren’t even close to outweighing their usefulness. A 16x bino with pretty good image quality plus the image stabilizing is just a game changer. The stillness in target mode is rock solid. But moving it around in that mode is weird to some folks. There’s a delay and the image scrambles for a second to catch up if you move too quickly in either scan or target mode. Worse or larger lag time in target mode. Most of my buddies were blown away and love them, but a couple of them thought they were a little off putting with the jerkiness when moving a bit too fast. Just don’t move too fast when glassing.

I had an older AGC that ended up being too small. I went with a medium marsupial and super happy with it. No experience with the Kiiu harness and sizing.

I am cognizant of turning off the switch when I stop glassing, but they are supposed to auto shut off after 10 mins as a battery savings feature. I’ve turned them off and on a fair amount over the last 6 weeks and the battery is still working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no

Last edited:
OP
T
I bought the 16x back in late August and so far had them on successful elk and moose hunts. I’ll admit I’m not the best glasser or spotter in my group of hunting buddies, but with these I was spotting things first most of the time. The first time I tested them against my Meopta 10x, I was glassing a sage brush and juniper hill across my porch roughly 1 mile out. I glassed for 20 seconds with the Meoptas, nothing caught my eye. As soon as I grabbed the zulu6’s I glassed up 2 bucks bedded under a juniper. I was sold. They also came in very handy judging moose where it was a 50” or 3 brow tine minimum. I was first to spot more than a few animals on that hunt.

The glass isn’t on par with the meoptas, but it’s not apples to apples as the meoptas were 10x. At 16x on the Zulu it does pick up a fair bit of mirage depending on conditions. Glass doesn’t quite pop, and I have some annoying issues with glare at times. I bought one of those neoprene shields to test out on a hunt this weekend to see if that helps my glare/flaring issues.

In the end I’ve been super happy with them and my negatives aren’t even close to outweighing their usefulness. A 16x bino with pretty good image quality plus the image stabilizing is just a game changer. The stillness in target mode is rock solid. But moving it around in that mode is weird to some folks. There’s a delay and the image scrambles for a second to catch up if you move too quickly in either scan or target mode. Worse or larger lag time in target mode. Most of my buddies were blown away and love them, but a couple of them thought they were a little off putting with the jerkiness when moving a bit too fast. Just don’t move too fast when glassing.

I had an older AGC that ended up being too small. I went with a medium marsupial and super happy with it. No experience with the Kiiu harness and sizing.

I am cognizant of turning off the switch when I stop glassing, but they are supposed to auto shut off after 10 mins as a battery savings feature. I’ve turned them off and on a fair amount over the last 6 weeks and the battery is still working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no

Thank you for the in-depth review! You confirmed my thought that the stabilizing greatly outweighs the not top tier glass or other small issues.

Did have two follow up questions:

1. Like you I have come from 8x or 10x chest binos. Have you run in many situations where 16x was too much magnification for looking at closer objects?
2. I believe the FOV on the 12x and 16x are the same, did you happen to compare the two? Would you go with 16x again?

Thanks again!

Thank you for the in-depth review! You confirmed my thought that the stabilizing greatly outweighs the not top tier glass or other small issues.

Did have two follow up questions:

1. Like you I have come from 8x or 10x chest binos. Have you run in many situations where 16x was too much magnification for looking at closer objects?
2. I believe the FOV on the 12x and 16x are the same, did you happen to compare the two? Would you go with 16x again?

Thanks again!

1. I was a little apprehensive that 16x would be a little too much, especially in Alaska where you can go from glassing a wide expanse to looking at moose within 100 yards in the thick brush. Never felt overpowered and actually always preferred having the extra mag and image stability over the FOV.

2. Never tried the 12x. I went straight to 16x because of the fact the listed FOV are the same. I have zero regrets going 16x.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really curious about these too. They're smaller and lighter than most 15s, plus you don't need a tripod to use them. It seems like a major win win, especially for something like antelope hunting. When you say the glass wasn't on par w/ the meoptas, how big of a difference are we talking? Are they still usable when it gets darker?Do you have the newer HDX version?

I'm really curious about these too. They're smaller and lighter than most 15s, plus you don't need a tripod to use them. It seems like a major win win, especially for something like antelope hunting. When you say the glass wasn't on par w/ the meoptas, how big of a difference are we talking? Are they still usable when it gets darker?Do you have the newer HDX version?

I wouldn’t say I’m a major optics snob, but I do like good glass and have had some time behind a variety of binos from Maven, Swaro, Leica, Vortex, zeiss, etc. I am picky enough that I tend to prefer the higher end binos and can notice lesser quality images with a lot of the mid and lower-priced options. The Meoptas we’re about as low cost as I’d go and have yet to look through a pair of sub 1k binos that I liked enough to replace them. That is until I bought the zulu6 HDX. I planned to sell them if I didn’t like them, but instead sold my meoptas and just run these now.

Everyone’s eyes are a little different and some of it is subjective of course. I haven’t done any major comparisons yet with other binos side by side other than my meoptas, but chromatic aberration bugs the shit out of me and so far haven’t noticed anything glaring with the zulu6. Yes, mine are the new HDX model.

The glass isn’t bad by any stretch, but being 16x it does pick up mirage more and as mentioned, I’m struggling with some occasional glare/light flaring, but I think the neoprene eye shield helps. Could just be the way my eyes are recessed under my Neanderthal brow.

So ultimately my good but not amazing glass is just a subjective review and really only based on a comparison with my old 10x meoptas. The image quality with those were “nicer” than the Zulu’s. But again at 10x vs 16x it’s not a fair comparison. I’d like to see them side by side with a pair of 15x meoptas. Overall the image quality on the zulus are good, and the stabilized image seals the deal for me. Edge to edge clarity was better with the meoptas, but again the Zulu’s aren’t that far behind.

I almost always bring a tripod as I’ve converted to bringing that as my all around shooting platform when rifle hunting, but I still prefer using the Zulu’s unsupported and not having to set-up/breakdown the tripod. If you always have a tripod with you and tend to sit in one spot for a long time glassing and need top tier glass, maybe a pair of higher end 15x standard binos are better suited for you. For my hunting style, the Zulu’s are just so much more versatile and allows me to glass on the fly as I hike.

Last edited:

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t say I’m a major optics snob, but I do like good glass and have had some time behind a variety of binos from Maven, Swaro, Leica, Vortex, zeiss, etc. I am picky enough that I tend to prefer the higher end binos and can notice lesser quality images with a lot of the mid and lower-priced options. The Meoptas we’re about as low cost as I’d go and have yet to look through a pair of sub 1k binos that I liked enough to replace them. That is until I bought the zulu6 HDX. I planned to sell them if I didn’t like them, but instead sold my meoptas and just run these now.

Everyone’s eyes are a little different and some of it is subjective of course. I haven’t done any major comparisons yet with other binos side by side other than my meoptas, but chromatic aberration bugs the shit out of me and so far haven’t noticed anything glaring with the zulu6. Yes, mine are the new HDX model.

The glass isn’t bad by any stretch, but being 16x it does pick up mirage more and as mentioned, I’m struggling with some occasional glare/light flaring, but I think the neoprene eye shield helps. Could just be the way my eyes are recessed under my Neanderthal brow.

So ultimately my good but not amazing glass is just a subjective review and really only based on a comparison with my old 10x meoptas. The image quality with those were “nicer” than the Zulu’s. But again at 10x vs 16x it’s not a fair comparison. I’d like to see them side by side with a pair of 15x meoptas. Overall the image quality on the zulus are good, and the stabilized image seals the deal for me. Edge to edge clarity was better with the meoptas, but again the Zulu’s aren’t that far behind.

I almost always bring a tripod as I’ve converted to bringing that as my all around shooting platform when rifle hunting, but I still prefer using the Zulu’s unsupported and not having to set-up/breakdown the tripod. If you always have a tripod with you and tend to sit in one spot for a long time glassing and need top tier glass, maybe a pair of 15x standard binos are for you. For my hunting style, the Zulu’s are just so much more versatile and allows me to glass on the fly as I hike.

Awesome, thanks. unfortunately for me I think I am an optics snob. I'm selling some mid level 15s because I like my 10s so much better. These have interested me though, especially situationally. I don't use 15s a lot but I can imagine some circumstances where the SIGs would be great. Generally I use my 10s and a spotter but there are certain places and situations I think the SIGs could really shine. I think I'm going to have to get a set sometime and see for myself

OP
T

I almost always bring a tripod as I’ve converted to bringing that as my all around shooting platform when rifle hunting, but I still prefer using the Zulu’s unsupported and not having to set-up/breakdown the tripod. If you always have a tripod with you and tend to sit in one spot for a long time glassing and need top tier glass, maybe a pair of 15x standard binos are for you. For my hunting style, the Zulu’s are just so much more versatile and allows me to glass on the fly as I hike.

Thanks for the additional info!

These peaked my interest when I saw how stable they are with just my hands and no other support. Glassing on the fly (as I am hiking), if I locate something, usually leads to me sitting now, busting out the tripod to confirm what the animal if it’s more than say 700/800 yards away. Usually this leads to me identifying an animal I don’t want to go after so I burned 5-10 minutes

Ideally these would be stable enough (especially with the target mode) to get a code idea if male/female and a general size. At which point I can keep hiking on or bust out the tripod and take a look

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the additional info!

These peaked my interest when I saw how stable they are with just my hands and no other support. Glassing on the fly (as I am hiking), if I locate something, usually leads to me sitting now, busting out the tripod to confirm what the animal if it’s more than say 700/800 yards away. Usually this leads to me identifying an animal I don’t want to go after so I burned 5-10 minutes

Ideally these would be stable enough (especially with the target mode) to get a code idea if male/female and a general size. At which point I can keep hiking on or bust out the tripod and take a look

That’s exactly what I was thinking too. Or just wanting to check something as you’re moving through country. In that GoHunt podcast they mentioned how nice they are in high wind too. Or even just in the truck stopping to look on the way in. I can imagine quite a few circumstances where that could be very handy

OP
T
That’s exactly what I was thinking too. Or just wanting to check something as you’re moving through country. In that GoHunt podcast they mentioned how nice they are in high wind too. Or even just in the truck stopping to look on the way in. I can imagine quite a few circumstances where that could be very handy

Sorry one more question… I’ve looked high and low and can’t seem to find what gohunt podcast they talked about them? Any chance you remember the name of the episode or what was the main topic that they may have named the episode after?

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I honestly don’t remember. I listen to it semi regularly when I workout or drive and I don’t think it was the main topic it was just something they drifted into talking about. It was this summer at some point. I think they talked about them some during episode 82 but I don’t remember exactly. It’s been touched on a few different times, they all love the SIGs

OP
T
I honestly don’t remember. I listen to it semi regularly when I workout or drive and I don’t think it was the main topic it was just something they drifted into talking about. It was this summer at some point. I think they talked about them some during episode 82 but I don’t remember exactly. It’s been touched on a few different times, they all love the SIGs

Wanted to thank you again, I appreciate the time you’ve taken to answer all my questions throughly!

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
Wanted to thank you again, I appreciate the time you’ve taken to answer all my questions throughly!

Of course, happy too. Funny enough I just opened my podcast app to look back and they have a new episode today interviewing people from SIG. That’s probably a better place to start lol

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Big Hunt Guys podcast. Episode 90. Just released. All about Sig optics including the Zulu’s.

As mentioned, latest podcast specifically talks about these, and a few older ones do too. There are a few podcasts with Cody Nelson on them, who is their resident optics guru. Might have been on those ones. These are also mentioned on several other podcasts. Enough to make me think there is something to them, or Sig is doing a great job advertising and pushing product to hunting industry podcasters.

Bmarcks31

FNG
anyone know if Sig planning to update their IS line in 2024? A few sales going on right now but would hate to buy and then have them release new version with better glass/larger objective since I've heard glass quality and low light performance are their main issues.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
anyone know if Sig planning to update their IS line in 2024? A few sales going on right now but would hate to buy and then have them release new version with better glass/larger objective since I've heard glass quality and low light performance are their main issues.
The updated version was released summer 2023.