Zip off base layers?

Kspence49

FNG
I’m interested in a pair of zip off base layer pants. I wear 11” boots (zamberlan outfitters) and thus am interested in a 3/4” height. I’m swooning over the stone glacier zip off grid fleece but if I have to untie my boots to get them on it kind of defeats the purpose. Does anyone here have the kings? Merino blend in a good weight range and aignificantly less than similar offerings from kuiu. If firstlite made the kiln in 3/4 I think that would be the ticket but as it stands they only make the wick and the furnace, the former being too light and the latter I fear too heavy.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I have King's. They're the only zip off base layer I have, so nothing else to compare them to. I've only worn them on two western hunts. Both were rifle hunts. Having the ability to put them on and take them off with boots on was nice. I have 10" boots and the 3/4 length doesn't reach my boots, (probably because I'm 6'6" tall) but did reach my socks.

KUIU peloton 97 is awful tough to beat. I have merino zip off but they are not nearly as warm and the 97 never smell on me.

I had the first version SG synthetic bottom that zipped all but the last 6” or so at top and bottom. I did not like them, that was pre grid fleece and full zip though.

My mentality is wool is heavy, and feels cold when it’s damp and wind hits it.

Seeknelk

WKR
The kuiu peleton 97 is all I use anymore. I have the merino one also but they don't stretch and move as nice as the 97, but they are the mid weight ones , not the lightest weight. Maybe even 200? weight ones. Not sure, I just use those under my waders now. And sometimes for work.

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
KUIU 97 and be done with it.
The 97s caught my eye but it looks like they’re being discontinued. Got put in the outlet and they’re out of size large. They’re also full length which stinks for my tall boots

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 97s caught my eye but it looks like they’re being discontinued. Got put in the outlet and they’re out of size large. They’re also full length which stinks for my tall boots
They’re not full length, kinda looks like it in the photo though.

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
They’re not full length, kinda looks like it in the photo though.
Dang. Sounds like they would’ve been the perfect option then. Got on this kick a week too late. Do they fit pretty true to size?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dang. Sounds like they would’ve been the perfect option then. Got on this kick a week too late. Do they fit pretty true to size?
I have a large and wear a 36 waist pant, they have some adjustment with the velcro tabs. 34–38 for a large and a medium 32-36 so there’s some overlap. If you have big legs that would be a bigger consideration for sizing. Material stretches really.

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
I have a large and wear a 36 waist pant, they have some adjustment with the velcro tabs. 34–38 for a large and a medium 32-36 so there’s some overlap. If you have big legs that would be a bigger consideration for sizing. Material stretches really.
Oh ok cool. I wear a 34 waist so might be ok dropping to a medium? Not sure how big my legs are in relation to others haha

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh ok cool. I wear a 34 waist so might be ok dropping to a medium? Not sure how big my legs are in relation to others haha
Kuiu is built more for the CrossFit type and not the powerlifting types if that makes sense. As I said it stretches well which helps if it’s a tad tight

I wear a 36 in Kuiu Attack and Kutana and the XL 97 zips as well as XL Merino zips fit me nicely. I probably could do L with the stretch but I don't like stuff too tight.
edit: Jeans and other pants I wear 34x36 in almost everything.

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
I wear a 36 in Kuiu Attack and Kutana and the XL 97 zips as well as XL Merino zips fit me nicely. I probably could do L with the stretch but I don't like stuff too tight.
edit: Jeans and other pants I wear 34x36 in almost everything.
I don’t own any of their pants yet but was planning to get 36s when I ordered. I typically like my base layers being a bit tighter so they don’t bunch around. Do the XLs fit in the waist?

I don’t own any of their pants yet but was planning to get 36s when I ordered. I typically like my base layers being a bit tighter so they don’t bunch around. Do the XLs fit in the waist?
Yeah they fit me pretty well in the waist. They don't stretch in the thighs but they're not baggy either, definitely don't bunch up. I used to have solid thighs from squats and deads, still about the same size overall but mostly fat now. Mine are pretty long too though, might need to stretch the L to be sure they're short enough for you.

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
Yeah they fit me pretty well in the waist. They don't stretch in the thighs but they're not baggy either, definitely don't bunch up. I used to have solid thighs from squats and deads, still about the same size overall but mostly fat now. Mine are pretty long too though, might need to stretch the L to be sure they're short enough for you.
Yeah sounds like the larges were the ones for me probably. And it’s the one size they’re sold out of in the outlet lol

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
I guess just to take all guesswork out of it and talk apples to apples I’m about 23.25” mid thigh at rest

I guess just to take all guesswork out of it and talk apples to apples I’m about 23.25” mid thigh at rest
OK I've had enough beers to make me dig them out and try them on lol. XL is comfortable in the waist, tight on the thighs and stretching a good bit and I just measured 24.5" mid-thigh standing up. Very snug all the way down the leg to the ankles.
A perfect fit for me would be, waist could be a little more snug and thighs could be a little less snug. Bottoms came up to high ankle area, about the height of a regular hiking boot.
I'm 6' and roughly 215 right now, went to a BBQ competition today so I'm stuffed and had quite a few drinks.

EdP

WKR
I've got the King's and like them. Many of the other designs have a velcro closure at the top of the zippers. I don't want that extra material at my belt line or under my backpack waist belt so the King's suited me better.