BE Deep impacts vs Spartans

Lheise88

FNG
I'm torn between these two. I've always used fmj but want to switch it up a bit. Feel like the fmj don't spin true after quite a bit of shooting. I'm not sure if I want to run a outsert. Im not familiar with them at all and my shop really doesn't either. Black eagle arrows are unheard of here. I like a heavy arrow so the deep impacts are what I'm drawn towards. Reading seems to be about 50/50 good and bad. Lots of nock problems and not spinning good with outserts. The Spartans seem to have only good reviews. Are they comparable in size with fmj? I just ordered my new bow. Hoyt carbon defiant 34. 80 pounds. Any info would be great. I've been shooting bows for 15 years now but never have gave much thought on arrows. Just always let the shop do whatever they want with them. So I'd like to make sure my foc is on and learn more about that. I also will be shooting either slick trick viper tricks or rage. Not sure yet. Thanks for any help guys.

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
The Spartans seem to be a really good shaft to me. They have a good insert system with the ability to add weight easily. So I would be inclined to go that direction. in my case, I like at leat 150 Grains up front. So at lease a 50 grain insert/ 100 grain BH.

They will be slightly larger in diameter than the FMJ.

OP
L

Lheise88

FNG
Thank you a bunch man. I do like how it has a insert vs a outsert. Seems to be a better system from what I've read. I hope I don't regret switching from the fmj but it seems like I'll be satisfied from the reviews on here. I'm still learning about the foc and adding weight up front so is 50 grains a good start for a 250 shafts?

Thank you a bunch man. I do like how it has a insert vs a outsert. Seems to be a better system from what I've read. I hope I don't regret switching from the fmj but it seems like I'll be satisfied from the reviews on here. I'm still learning about the foc and adding weight up front so is 50 grains a good start for a 250 shafts?
I would also take a look at the rampages. I shoot them and they are amazing. I shoot a carbon element at 80 pounds and they fly like a dream. They are smaller diameter than the spartans.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Also shooting rampage arrows with the stainless insert up front and a 125g head. They fly great!

Was just shooting them with broadheads out to 60yds this evening

Tilzbow

WKR
I use the Deep Impacts and had a ton of trouble with nocks breaking. I tried several different nocks without luck until I tried the Deep Six nock. Since then I've had no issues what so ever. As far as the outserts, I've tried both the Aero Outsert and the Black Eagle outserts. Both are a PIA but the Black Eagle seem to be easier to align. Even at that I only get 9 - 10 out of a dozen that spin perfect no matter how hard I try. That it's not really a problem as far as I'm concerned since I just use the slightly wobbly ones for practice. I've shot these for 3 years now and have never had an issue with strength but they can be more difficult to pull from bag targets than standard inserts but still aren't bad at all.

Capra

Lil-Rokslider

You would need to look at their spine chart to determine where you would be.

I would always lean towards a stiffer shaft, they will tune easier.

When thinking about arrow spine, the length that you cut the shaft is your macro adjustment and the weight up front is your micro adjustment.

Sometimes I will start off with my arrows a little long so that I have room to play. Then if I need to stiffen the shaft up I will strip the fletches and cut down the back of the shaft to make that adjustment.

Rampages look like a good option as well, I forgot about them. I would use Easton's brass HIT insert if I shot those.

Trial153

WKR
I have owned Spartans, deep impacts and Rampages.

I have no use for outserts of any kind including half outs. Long term none of them have proven reliable with heavy use and all show wobble after awhile if any lateral force is inadvertently applied to them.
I cross deep impacts off the list because of this

Rampages with brass hits installed and a flanged VPA collar are excellent. Very good tolerances, no flyers, consistent weight and spine. I use x nocks in place of the BEA nocks because they are more uniform and durable. The shafts are mid of road as far as durable. They compare very well to other shafts that are similar in GPI. I have no had no issues with them in that department unless I hit a nock which in that case the back end will crack. I would not use the Steel outserts with the rampages, as they haven't been consistently durable enough. If you shoot infrequently however they may be expectable to you. Truthfully many guys claim they use them with no issue. Maybe it's just me.
I am currently fitting rampages with nock collars to sure up the back end. Over all the Rampages have been excellent and are probably my favorite shaft at this time. ( well except for 390 ACC prohunters)

Spartans are great mid diameter shafts, the are durable and straight. I really like the components they come with. The steel inserts and nock bushings are about the nicest I seen .you can add weight to the inserts via a removable weight however I am pretty sure it not like the GT sysytem where you can re accessed it with a long wrench. I think it's a one a done deal. I am pull one of my inserts out to take a look at them to be sure.

In short I wouldn't hesitate to use either the Rampage or the Spartans .

I have owned Spartans, deep impacts and Rampages.

I have no use for outserts of any kind including half outs. Long term none of them have proven reliable with heavy use and all show wobble after awhile if any lateral force is inadvertently applied to them.
I cross deep impacts off the list because of this

Rampages with brass hits installed and a flanged VPA collar are excellent. Very good tolerances, no flyers, consistent weight and spine. I use x nocks in place of the BEA nocks because they are more uniform and durable. The shafts are mid of road as far as durable. They compare very well to other shafts that are similar in GPI. I have no had no issues with them in that department unless I hit a nock which in that case the back end will crack. I would not use the Steel outserts with the rampages, as they haven't been consistently durable enough. If you shoot infrequently however they may be expectable to you. Truthfully many guys claim they use them with no issue. Maybe it's just me.
I am currently fitting rampages with nock collars to sure up the back end. Over all the Rampages have been excellent and are probably my favorite shaft at this time. ( well except for 390 ACC prohunters)

Spartans are great mid diameter shafts, the are durable and straight. I really like the components they come with. The steel inserts and nock bushings are about the nicest I seen .you can add weight to the inserts via a removable weight however I am pretty sure it not like the GT sysytem where you can re accessed it with a long wrench. I think it's a one a done deal. I am pull one of my inserts out to take a look at them to be sure.

In short I wouldn't hesitate to use either the Rampage or the Spartans .
Might I ask, which nock collar do you use?

Trial153

WKR
Might I ask, which nock collar do you use?

I GT kaos nock collars will fit, so will tophat sleeves which are flanged and can be used with your current nocks. Not sure which I am going to use long term I will be playing with both once the weather is warmer and I start shooting outdoors again

OP
L

Lheise88

FNG
You guys are awesome! I think I'm going to order a dozen bare spartan shafts and try them out. Definitely don't want to go the deep impact route after a lot more reading. Or any outsert for that matter. Kinda excited to try these. Been a long time since I've shot a different arrow then the fmj.

Trial153

WKR
You guys are awesome! I think I'm going to order a dozen bare spartan shafts and try them out. Definitely don't want to go the deep impact route after a lot more reading. Or any outsert for that matter. Kinda excited to try these. Been a long time since I've shot a different arrow then the fmj.

Dturi on AT quoted me a good price shipped for Spartans shafts just recently on AT. I would shoot him a pm.

JustinN

FNG
I switched to 29' Spartans from FMJs. I added weight to the inserts and shoot a 125g point. FOC is right around 13-14% and total arrow weight is 525gr. Personally I love them and they were the cure to a nasty left tear I couldn't get rid of with my FMJs

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Aero outserts are the way to go it's simple to put them on and spin them true. I use the ximpacts with aero outserts and the x impacts are identical to the deep impacts. The outserts will never mushroom the end of the arrow and mine never wobble after heavy use. Just use the right glue and you will be golden.

I'm interested in the Spartans, deciding between those and the 4mm Carbon Injexions from Easton. I tried the Deep Impacts, really like the shaft itself, components-not so much.

Im really tempted to order up a dozen spartans to try out. Only problem I see with them is they sport some of the ugliest shafts I have seen lol. all that yellow and red is godawful. If I do get them I'll have to see if I can get that crap off. Yes, I know that is a moot gripe in the grand scheme.