Bow sights for western hunting?? What's everyone use

541hunter

WKR
Spot Hogg 5 pin.... but looking at switching to the black gold revenge. Pins are to bright on the spot Hogg and I believe it's causing my blurry/halo pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Spot Hogg 5 pin.... but looking at switching to the black gold revenge. Pins are to bright on the spot Hogg and I believe it's causing my blurry/halo pins.

Just put some black electrical tape over the wrap.....or part of the wrap. I've never had the SH pins be too bright for me.

SWOHTR

WKR
I just switched to an MBG Ascent single pin. I like that I can get to 100 yards on it. I'm still paranoid about setting and forgetting the pin, so I may switch the head out w/ my 5-pin Rush head. I'd like at least 3 pins.

12ring

FNG
Hogg It 5 pin fixed and just got a Tommy Hogg 5 pin slider. Also believe the MBG Pure series are awesome.

Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg 5-pin. I used to run the single pin for five years or so and loved it for practice and 3D, but never loved it in hunting situations. Killed an elk and many deer and turkeys with it, but switching back to multiple pins this year.

Tsnider

WKR
hogg father with dual pins. didnt like the single, so just upgraded to the double. i think it will cover most situations ill find myself in. dialing in does suck sometimes though.

kicker338

WKR
told about this a wk. ago but will repeat for those who might not have seen it. Will be trying the new E Z V sight shortly, you can check it out on u-tube, several vids. on it. Always have my 3 pin spot hog to fall back on it it doesn't work for me, but gotta try it it just shows too much promise to not try it.

Brendan

WKR
I use the Spot Hogg Hogg Father.

First Bow - Double Pin - MRT - I'll probably add a 3rd "pin" with a drop of white paint directly in the middle...

Second Bow - Custom 5 Pin - MRT. Pins are:

20 - .029" Green
30 - .019" Yellow
40 - .019" Green
50 - .010" Yellow
60 - .010" Green

Have to decide if I like the double pin, or 5 pin better, but then again, I don't know which bow I'll be using yet...

Last edited:

Hunter6

WKR
I used a single pin MGB ascent verdict with a 4 in dovetail last year but was just not crazy about the single pin. So this year I put a rush 4 pin head on it and float the bottom pin. I'm really liking this set up so far.

---

Follow me on Instagram @hunter_hindman

copedog

FNG
Just ordered an Ascent Verdict 5 pin.

4 inch dovetail.
Widowmaker head - gang micro-adjust.

Pins similar to Brendan above.

.29 green
.19 yellow
.19 green
.19 red - trick pin
.10 green - floater

Sodbuster

WKR
Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg dialer. Three pin is what I have ran the last two years.I have a five and a single pin head laying around too.
The three pin adjustable looks like it will work for anything I hunt.

I have a MBG Ascent 4 pins: Green .010->Yellow .010-> Red .010-> Green .010 as the slider.

I've use the MBG Ascent single pin, loved it as well. I didn't spend enough time figuring out the "trick pin" or playing with my setup enough to trust myself on the quick opportunity shots, so I went back to the 4 pin slider.

I truly think that if someone got really comfortable with their single pin, that they could be great game shots with it.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've used a Black Gold fixed sight with 7 pins for many years, but for my new bow I'm leaning towards a 5 pin slider sight from either Spott Hogg or Black Gold. I'd like to know what these sights weigh if anyone knows.

ahlgringo

WKR
I've used a Black Gold fixed sight with 7 pins for many years, but for my new bow I'm leaning towards a 5 pin slider sight from either Spott Hogg or Black Gold. I'd like to know what these sights weigh if anyone knows.

My MBG ascent verdict 5 pin weighs right about 10oz

I have a MBG Ascent 4 pins: Green .010->Yellow .010-> Red .010-> Green .010 as the slider.

I've use the MBG Ascent single pin, loved it as well. I didn't spend enough time figuring out the "trick pin" or playing with my setup enough to trust myself on the quick opportunity shots, so I went back to the 4 pin slider.

I truly think that if someone got really comfortable with their single pin, that they could be great game shots with it.

I tried the trick pin idea for my single pin but never got comfortable with it. I ended up just leaving it set at 30 yards and I knew the hold over/under for 20 and 40. I was pretty confident with that but, like you, still decided to go back to multi pin. Less chance of brain malfunctions in the heat of the moment.