Thinking about new arrows, any input is appreciated!

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I'm thinking I want to change things up this year and go to a heavier arrow setup. Here is what I have been using for the past couple of years.
Mathews Chill R with a 27" draw set at 65 lbs.
Easton aftermath .340 spine arrow cut at 27 3/4"
100 grain wac em broadhead
Total arrow weight is 408 grains.

I have taken two animals with this setup (deer and bear) both at roughly 20 yards. I had a complete pass through on the deer and made it through both sides on the bear but half the arrow was still in him. I had what I would consider good performance on both critters, but I am thinking I need a little more weight for two reasons: decreased bow noise and more penetration. I am thinking about going up to a .300 spine Easton axis and using a 100 grain iron will broadhead with brass inserts to get a little more weight up front. I am guessing this will get me up around 450 grains total arrow weight.

I don't know a lot about all the arrows available, but I think I want to stay away from the 4mm diameter arrows just based on their special requirements and added cost.What do you think? I am open to any suggestions. just trying to figure this out!:confused:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't know what weight fletching you use, but 300's at 27.75" would put you just over 440gr with the regular HIT's and 20gr of fletching. My Axis 300's come in at 495gr at 30" with 125's, the 16gr HIT's, 20gr of fletching, and the nock.

If you give me a better idea of what you want I can tell you how to get there. Tons of arrow and I set outsert combos that can get you to 450 with either a lot of FOC or an average FOC. I would stay away from axis if you want higher FOC, the grains per inch don’t lend to higher FOC. My son is shooting a 427 grain arrow that is like 14% FOC if I bumped him to a 150 grain head (iron will makes those) he would be 457 and probably 16% FOC

OP
oldgrowth

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking upping my arrow weight and going with a high FOC setup. I really don't know squat about arrows. I let the local pro shop recommend the arrows I am currently using and they have performed well for me, I just feel I could squeeze a little more out of my setup. Reading about the 4mm shafts it doesn't seem like it is worth the added cost and design weaknesses. I was leaning toward the 5mm shaft diameter. I really just want to keep it simple and maximize my setup without getting too crazy complicated. I did shot a few heavier arrows yesterday (440 grains total with 125 grain field points) and they seemed to fly better. They penetrated a Rinehart target noticeably better (about 1.5" deeper). I am open to any suggestions, I guess what I really want is the heaviest arrow that makes sense for hunting. I know at some point I will be too heavy, but I don't really know where that point is. Running the #'s in an online calculator seemed to suggest that 450 grains was the sweet spot, but I don't know for sure. Ideally I would just shoot different combos to find out what is best, but I don't have the funds to do that. I hope his makes sense:eek:

2blade

WKR
IMO, a guy should shoot the heaviest arrow he can that provides for an acceptable trajectory. For me that is about 7.5grs of arrow weight per pound of bow weight. That would put you at a 490gr arrow but... with your 27" draw I'd shoot for 450 to 460 and don't go under 260fps in arrow speed. For me, under 260 is not flat enough trajectory, but then taking a 60 yard shot doesn't bother me either.

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot two arrows through bull elk and penetrated the shoulder into the heart on a quartering-to shot on a third - all with an arrow that is almost identical to yours @ 63lbs. If anything, try a 125gr broadhead, but I think you’re just fine where you are.

....adding.... I like to shoot the heaviest arrow I can shoot 290-300fps. I get excellent broadhead flight and accuracy with a good trajectory and (from everything I’ve seen so far) excellent penetration.

I've never had a problem shooting a 400 gr arrow with 15% FOC at a distance of 27 - 30 yds through elk the past few years. Arrow speed is right at 300 fps avg. If you want more FOC, just use your current arrow with a 50 gr brass insert. You will see an increase in performance in what you're looking for and will be less costly.

Slim Jim

WKR
I shoot similar set up to what you have except for draw length and really like it. I use to go heavy but went back to a lighter weight and have better results with groups long range. You say that you want to stay away from small diameter shafts but it’s well worth it IMO If you are worried about pass throughs. They even help in breezy conditions. Been using the gold tip kinetic piece platinums for a while now and REALLY like them. All part of the fun finding what works best for you. Best of luck bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
OP,
I like the 5mm size for all around performance. I like to go a little heavy on spine....they shoot and tune well...plus you get a heavier duty hunting arrow.

And I think most guys are well served with a hunting arrow in the 450-550gr range....lots of personal pref there though- no 100% correct answer for everyone.

Personally bow noise is more important for me over trajectory...I want quiet....so I like a little heavier arrow.

600gr in my recurve, 500gr in my compound for a long time but if I was building new arrows it would be closer to 550 gr.

Lots of good 5mm shafts including the FMJ's if you want more weight and perfect spine consistency. I shoot the Axis 300's with a 150 gr BH. They have been pretty good...but you do have to number every arrow and shoot for groups. If one doesn't fly, spin the non 90 deg and refletching usually works.

I was thinking upping my arrow weight and going with a high FOC setup. I really don't know squat about arrows. I let the local pro shop recommend the arrows I am currently using and they have performed well for me, I just feel I could squeeze a little more out of my setup. Reading about the 4mm shafts it doesn't seem like it is worth the added cost and design weaknesses. I was leaning toward the 5mm shaft diameter. I really just want to keep it simple and maximize my setup without getting too crazy complicated. I did shot a few heavier arrows yesterday (440 grains total with 125 grain field points) and they seemed to fly better. They penetrated a Rinehart target noticeably better (about 1.5" deeper). I am open to any suggestions, I guess what I really want is the heaviest arrow that makes sense for hunting. I know at some point I will be too heavy, but I don't really know where that point is. Running the #'s in an online calculator seemed to suggest that 450 grains was the sweet spot, but I don't know for sure. Ideally I would just shoot different combos to find out what is best, but I don't have the funds to do that. I hope his makes sense:eek:
I have shot both 5MM and 4MM shafts and never had a problem with either. you just have to buy the right arrows. I help people all the time with arrow builds and play with a ton of different arrows and weight combos. I can tell you that a blackeagle Ximpact in 300 spine cut down to your length with the standard outserts and a 125 or 150 grain head you will have a good FOC and weight. this is only one option, but one of the keys to FOC is lower grain per inch on arrows which is harder to do on 5mm shafts and still get the spine you want without sacrificing strength.

OP
oldgrowth

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Thank for all the input guys. Originally I was intrigued by the 4mm shafts , but I have read a number of posts from people saying they are weak at the outsert (they bend or break easily). For you guys using the 4mm size arrows, how do they hold up? I would consider going this route if they are as durable as the 5mm's. Another question, how do the FMJ's hold up? seems to me they would eventually bend and become untrue, especially if you miss the target while practicing. Probably wouldn't be any worse than an arrow exploding as long as it takes a similar hit to do so.

Jess

FNG
I've been thinking about trying some Gold Tip KINETIC PIERCE PLATINUM with the 20 gr FACT inserts added to them. Then use a 125 gr head

Grumman

WKR
I’m tagging along. New arrows is on my 2018 gear purchase list and I have very little knowledge on arrows so hope to learn more here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at Black Eagle Rampage , they are along the lines of Axis diameter wise but less gpi meaning you can add weight up front and they wont be to heavy total arrow weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shooting Black Eagle Rampage out of my Halon that I set up this fall. I was strictly an Easton shooter, but tried the BE based on a few recommendations. I'm a 30 inch draw so I cut the arrows at 29", they are just over 500 grains. So far they group great for me. Shafts touching out to 30 and thennopening b up a bit after that. The price is right on them as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk