DIY training weight setup for backpacks

Bughalli

WKR
I'm sure most guys aren't "training" for their backpack hunts any more...as most seasons are starting and you're hoping to come out "heavy". But I wanted to share the DIY setup I've been using the past 6 months for training. I never liked using bags of sand, water or other weights in my pack. I wanted a more rigid setup and one that allowed me to add/reduce weight as my training progressed.

So I made this setup, which maybe cost $20 in materials at Home Depot and worked really well. The pictures communicate the setup the best. I put this weight system inside my pack and strapped it down. It's articulated, which was something I added later as the weight increased. This allows it to ride much better on your back. The system allows me carry one or two 25lbs weights comfortably. Or smaller weight increments with smaller weights. With two 25lbs plates, plus the rack portion and my pack, I figured I was training with a little over 60lbs. That's a good training weight and very comfortable. The caps on the posts that hold the weights crank down to secure the plates/weights to the board, so there's no jostling around. I had a nylon handle from an old computer bag, which I secured to the top of the board to make it easier to lift or move.

Overall I like the setup.

IMG_6912.jpgIMG_6913.jpgIMG_6909.jpgIMG_6910.jpg

Cool rig.

A quick note of caution, plates rubbing on nylon for a long time can and will "burn" a hole in the material. Years ago I ruined an old army issue ALICE pack learning that lesson. I ended up wrapping my plates with towels and then finally transitioning to sand in a double zip lock wrapped in towels. Which have the added benefit of being able to toss them if ever needed.

These days I have a 20 and 3x10 pound sand bags. Each is play sand - ~$6 a bag for 50 pounds - in 2x gallon zip locks. Add a chopped up furniture blanket -$7- and a copious amount of duck tape - $4 - and I can mix and much up to a total weight of 50 pounds for under $20. The blanket offers padding and the duck tape is smooth enough to prevent burning the pack or the sand bags.

OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
Cool rig.

A quick note of caution, plates rubbing on nylon for a long time can and will "burn" a hole in the material. Years ago I ruined an old army issue ALICE pack learning that lesson. I ended up wrapping my plates with towels and then finally transitioning to sand in a double zip lock wrapped in towels. Which have the added benefit of being able to toss them if ever needed.

These days I have a 20 and 3x10 pound sand bags. Each is play sand - ~$6 a bag for 50 pounds - in 2x gallon zip locks. Add a chopped up furniture blanket -$7- and a copious amount of duck tape - $4 - and I can mix and much up to a total weight of 50 pounds for under $20. The blanket offers padding and the duck tape is smooth enough to prevent burning the pack or the sand bags.

Thanks for the ideas. Yeah...I could see plates rubbing a hole or leaving rust stains with traditional plates. These have a plastic coating on them and rounded edges, so no real issues inside the pack. Once I upgrade my backpack I'll probably run this system without the pack bag and secure to the frame/load shelf.

I tried sand in the past....kind of a pain in the but because it tends to move around too much and slide down no matter how hard I tried to synch it down. And big bags of sand were just hard to move manage in general. ...but that might also be a pack issue too. I love the handle on my setup. Just loosen the synch straps and pull it out. Super easy.