Using EXO/SG Paks for Other Stuff

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy, new guy from MI, do a fair amount of backpacking to camp/hunt/fish but have never been out west. Thats all about to change as I just started planning my first western elk hunt and am curious if you guys with the high end/lightweight external frame paks such as SG/EXO have any issues using them for other stuff like fishing/camping/etc.?

Reason I ask is I am considering selling my internal frame pak (osprey atoms ag 65) to help fund the purchase of a SG or EXO multiday-sized pak. Then use the new pak for the stuff I have been using the osprey for to get more use out of it. Is this a good idea or would I be making a mistake getting rid of the osprey? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use my SG 5900 for everything from hunting to backpacking to day hikes. It's to expensive to not get the most use out of it in my mind.

Used to have multiple packs, but didn't find it necessary as my current pack works as a daypack, meat hauler, backpacking or fly fishing.

Grumman

WKR
I use my SG 5900 and Avail for all sorts of activities besides hunting. Took the 5900 to a weeklong air show, and the Avail on a cruise to Mexico for the shore excursions. The gray color of Stone Glacier blends in well with the non-hunting crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
deertrout

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, guys! Appreciate the feedback!

Gehri1tm

Lil-Rokslider
I've used my EXO 2000 & 3500 for day hunts here in MI and even for hiking/fishing/camping trips. Great all around pack!

AdamRappe

FNG
I have used my SG Sky Archer 6200 for day hunts, backpacking trips, fishing trips and hiking. Worth every penny!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve only had my SG for a few months and yes I’m using for everything. I find it more comfortable with a backpacking load than a backpacking pack so I just keep that as a loaner. I have a lot of anti and neutral people around me, they have no idea it’s a hunting pack.

Use mine for field work extensively. Hauling chainsaws, etc. Have also used it as a duffle flying all over Alaska. Done some backpacking trips. It’s all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use mine for training and also day/weekend hunting. I strap a stool to it for still hunting and have all kinds of crap in it for everything from mosquitos to freezing temps. It all stays in there and I just grab that pack if I plan on doing any hunting related work. Can't see myself using anything else

To be honest you will actually find a hunting pack more useful for other activities. I do a lot of backpack fly fishing and find my Exo has much better organization for Rods, nets etc.

I use mine for hiking camping and fishing 100 times more than Hunting. Pack use is 12 months a year for me

texag10

WKR
In the past 2 months I have gone on a backpack elk hunt with enough food/gear for 10 days, traveled to 6 cities in 4 different European countries over 14 days, and this morning I went for a day hunt in nice weather on some public land here in TX and ended up packing out a whitetail doe.

Used my Seek Outside fortress 4800 on a revolution frame for all of it. These packs are good at carrying stuff. A lot of stuff or a little stuff, the brands that get talked about on here can handle it.

frankrb3

WKR
I bought the SG xcurve for this exact reason. I originally got the R3 bag for hunting, but now I want the avail and 5900 for shorter and longer trips. Some bags are really good at doing one thing great, while other bags are really great at doing everything good. Kind of why I am all over the place as far as picking one stone glacier bag.

OP
deertrout

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback, made the decision to spend the money much easier. Ordered an EXO K2 5500.