Hip bone pain...bigger belt size?

Got my Kifaru duplex frame last week with the small belt and gave it it’s first field test yesterday on a big whitetail doe. I had right at 60lbs with pack, meat, gun and had close to 3 miles back to the truck. The pack felt great but my only issue was some pain in my hip bones where the belt wraps around them. I wear size 32 pants and I’m thinking the small may be just a tad on the short side if it’s putting enough pressure on my hip bones to cause pain. Any thoughts? Another note, I will be buying a set of micro spikes for my boots, walking three miles up steep hills and rocks in 6” of powder snow is not fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Do you actually have the duplex or do you have the new hunter frame? The medium belt on my duplex seems to be a little big and the medium belt on my hunter frame is perfect. But generally if you are having pain on your hips, you're wearing the belt too low or it's slipping down and you're not occasionally repositioning it. Points on your hip should be in the middle vertically of the belt. Past that, call Kifaru after the holiday and ask them.

OP
flinginairos
Do you actually have the duplex or do you have the new hunter frame? The medium belt on my duplex seems to be a little big and the medium belt on my hunter frame is perfect. But generally if you are having pain on your hips, you're wearing the belt too low or it's slipping down and you're not occasionally repositioning it. Points on your hip should be in the middle vertically of the belt. Past that, call Kifaru after the holiday and ask them.

It's the new Duplex Hunter. I'll mess with it some more and see how it feels before I swap sizes.

Brendan

WKR
I don't think pain would be related to the size. Personally - I want to be able to bottom the belt out completely under a heavy load, as skinny as I'm going to get at the end of a hunt, and have just a little room left...

I wear a 32-33" pant size, and I was bottoming out the small as I dropped weight at the end of my hunt.... I wouldn't have been able to get a larger belt tight enough.

But generally if you are having pain on your hips, you're wearing the belt too low or it's slipping down and you're not occasionally repositioning it. Points on your hip should be in the middle vertically of the belt. Past that, call Kifaru after the holiday and ask them.

I agree. It sounds like the belt is too low. The general idea is that the belt buckle should be at your navel. That way, the belt sits ON TOP OFF the hips and not around them. This might be giving the OP the sense that the belt is too small.

Always best to call Kifaru and send the pictures of the back on you. Then they can make recommendations and get you all sorted.

OP
flinginairos
Thanks guys that's what I needed to hear. I think it was riding too low. I'll mess with it some this week I'm sure I just didn't have it adjusted right. Other than the little bit of pain on my hipbones that pack felt freakin awesome!

OP
flinginairos
Here are a couple pics. My hip bone is right under my thumb. The padding ends just about where the bone is, directly under the buckle. I don’t really see myself losing anymore size on my waist, pretty skinny as it is now. Based on these pics should I size up or keep it the same?
cc72c7bb6a558ec3985807f17fd1ba6c.jpg

b59f0c10311f686a83d928ccc16bc283.jpg

tttoadman

WKR
Here are a couple pics. My hip bone is right under my thumb. The padding ends just about where the bone is, directly under the buckle. I don’t really see myself losing anymore size on my waist, pretty skinny as it is now. Based on these pics should I size up or keep it the same?
cc72c7bb6a558ec3985807f17fd1ba6c.jpg

b59f0c10311f686a83d928ccc16bc283.jpg

That looks too small to me. If nothing else, I want the belt as long as i can get it so the belt pouches are as far forward so i can reach stuff.

Even though the best answer is to call Aron, I'll give it a shot.

I can sometimes develop a small bruise on the points of my hips if I don't pack weight often enough. Some things your body just plain has to toughen up to. I don't believe this is entirely your problem though as 60lbs is not excessive. I am a similar waist size and the pads on my small duplex belts (I have a Bikini frame and a Hunter) wrap significantly farther around my body than your picture above depicts.

As mentioned above you may possibly be wearing the belt too low. I wore mine too low for a long time as it just felt unnatural to wear it up high where it belongs. After many uncomfortable hikes I finally gave in and endured the weird feeling of having the buckle sit right over the belly button(thanks Justin D). The comfort factor very quickly overcame the weird feeling of wearing the belt over the area that is not considered a mans waist.

Good luck.

Edit: Toadman beat me to it. If you are wearing it high enough I wonder if you accidentally got an extra-small belt? If you remove it from the frame there should be a tag on it.

I'd get the medium. Those pads could come around another inch or or more on both sides for the best comfort. When I'm wearing light clothes, the large belt comes around about one inch from forward assist's being bottomed out, when cinched down really tight. Leaves plenty for bulky clothes but, plenty tight for warmer weather too. It brings the padding all the way around my hips and it is SO NICE with a heavy load. Good luck and God Bless

OP
flinginairos
Thanks guys. I’ll keep an eye out for a medium belt on the classifieds and pick one up to try it out. I’ll sell the small one if the medium fits better, which I think it will.