The best hunting rain gear?

I have and I like the first lite storm tight. It is a good mix of light, breathable and durable. The kuiu Yukon worked but was too heavy and the cuffs disappointed. Sitka downpour works and is the quietest but too heavy if backpack hunting.

Maybe the thing I like most about FL is that it dries very fast if needed.

Sweaters west keeps you dry but man do I sweat in that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
I typically bring my Kryptek Poseidon jacket because it packs well, light, and tough. Does well in high winds as well. I also don't like pockets on my rain gear.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do we have a bunch of fair weather September hunters on here?

Of course. Isn't this an archery site? Oh, wait a minute.......wrong site.

Actually, in CO anything past archery season we don't usually need rain gear because all the precip is in the form of snow by that time.

Yooper

WKR
FL Stormtight (original set) works great if it's a heavy rain/all day kind of thing. If there's a chance for a scattered shower here and there I usually pack my Cabelas Space Rain set. Not the most durable stuff, but it's lightweight, packable, and gets the job done when needed.

novcie870

WKR
Another vote for the FL Stormtight Boundary. I changed my system this season to merino under layer, fleece layer, puffy coat (cabelas thin puffy) and my FL Stormtight. I was in the same nasty rain last week that you were and it worked perfect! See below...

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Of course. Isn't this an archery site? Oh, wait a minute.......wrong site.

Actually, in CO anything past archery season we don't usually need rain gear because all the precip is in the form of snow by that time.

It's a totally different world in Colorado/Utah, some of the southern states, heck even S. Idaho is like another planets.

It doesn't have to rain that day to get wet here. The brush stays wet for days.

Last edited:
I need a good rain jacket. So I'm watching. Have a Woodbury but don't think it's true rain resistant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dameon

WKR
First Lite Stormtight here. Not the lightest or most compact, but I keep it in my Longbow pack just in case. Seems durable enough to me, but I guess time will tell on that one. My only complaint with it so far is that it didn't come with it's own suspenders like my Kanabs. I need to order another set of suspenders.....

Lawnboi

WKR
Don't mean to hijack this thread but Iv got a few questions. I need new rain gear. I sold my kuiu to finance school and need something new.

Got a few questions regarding the Sitka cold front. I'm stuck on Sitka due to discount.

Is the cold front quiet enough to bow hunt in? Comparable to the jetstream for noise? Seems like a good solution to get rid of a soft shell and have a 1 and done fall, spring and winter jacket.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am a fan of the SEAK! As you can see from the picture, its some pretty brushy shit!

lkwoolsey

WKR
I hunt almost always in Western WA these days and use Kuiu Yukon pants and jacket. Never gotten wet, never had a durability issue, and I have to wear them on almost every hunt, the whole time I'm outside of the tent. They have reinforced elbows, knees and inside the bottom edge of the pants, great pocket location, great fit, and the hood can be adjusted to stay out of the way but still keep you dry. Add to that the fact that these are the most breathable rain gear I've ever used....I'll stick with them every time.

JP100

WKR
It's a totally different world in Colorado/Utah, some of the southern states, heck even S. Idaho is like another planets.

It doesn't have to rain that day to get wet here. The brush stays wet for days.
Don't even need rain gear in CO. It's dry as a bone.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
Don't even need rain gear in CO. It's dry as a bone.

Ha! Compared to New Zealand maybe but my last two trips to Colorado saw a minimum of four days straight of rain and the three years before that had snow, one year pretty bad.

First Lite Stormtight Boundary here. Works like a charm. Would probably choose their new SEAK for Washington though, maybe Idaho.

JP100

WKR
Ha! Compared to New Zealand maybe but my last two trips to Colorado saw a minimum of four days straight of rain and the three years before that had snow, one year pretty bad.

First Lite Stormtight Boundary here. Works like a charm. Would probably choose their new SEAK for Washington though, maybe Idaho.
Haha I spent a month there. Rained maybe once but dried out fast as.
Spent 6 months in BC and haven't seen real rain yet haha

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sort of a rain gear nut.... For conditions you described I'd run either the Sitka Coldfront (for when it is cooler, IMO to heavy for 50 degrees+), Sitka Stormfront, or the First Lite SEAK. If not very mobile, the Helly Hansen Impertechs are always a good choice as well.

What has worked best for you now that you have us all throwing out our opinions / experiences? :)

SDHNTR

WKR
There is ONLY one choice for busting thick wet brush day in day out and it's PVC. Anything Goretex or similar breathable style rain gear will wet out when busting brush. Even the high end stuff. It's a waste of money in thick, wet country. Helly Hansen Impertech.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Haha I spent a month there. Rained maybe once but dried out fast as.

Ya, I like it warm and dry, so I get along pretty well with Colorado's archery season. But I did shoot my bull this year in the rain. It was raining so hard that morning I almost didn't get out of my sleeping bag. As it was, I still got up later than normal. And I still left my rain gear in camp even with the rain. Worst part was breaking him down in a pouring rain the last half.

HookUp

WKR
Sitka dewpoint here. I dont hunt much brush but sure like rolling out a 12 oz rain jacket when needed.

I'm in north idaho, although not quite up in the panhandle. The sitka cloudburst gear worked fabulous for me in the first week of the season. It rained most of the trip. No crazy brush busting, but I had to dive in and out more than a few times. The jacket was no worse for the wear. The pitzips were a god-send while hiking.

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
I went from Russell L5 Cyclone to KUIU Chugach and now use KUIU Yukon. The Yukon is very durable and so far hasn't leaked.