Zip-Off Long Johns

mrgreen

WKR
Does anyone besides Kuiu make zip-off base layer pants? I have a pair of the Kuiu, really like the design. The fit is my problem.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
None that I know of. I sewed up some midlayer ones back in the spring when I couldn't find any. I also now have the kuiu 145 merino ones.

More manufacturers need to get on the bandwagon because they are damn convient.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
Ive never seen the kuiu in person, is this something that maybe a good seamstress could do to a set of first lite?

OP
M

mrgreen

WKR
pods8 : You're right about the convenience.

Huntin wv : I wear between a 36-38 waist and the XL just barely do it. When I first put them on I needed to stretch them to get past my knees. Also, they seem to be 'low waisted' in other words when you take any kind of high step it pulls down your long johns. Unless I've suddenly developed a fat azz.

Iam396 : I don't think I know any seamstress' that good.

OP
M

mrgreen

WKR
FL is adding them to the line up but not until summer 2017ish.

I'm not doubting you, but before I get another pair of Kuiu 'only game in town' ill fitting zip-offs (while they're 30% off) how reliable is this info?

twall13

WKR
FL is adding them to the line up but not until summer 2017ish.

Now you tell me, I just ordered some from Kuiu on their sale and I'm worried about the fit. I would have much preferred to support First Lite anyway. Oh well, I'll see how the Kuiu's work out when they get here and go from there. Most items I don't worry too much about because I know I can resell them fairly easily on here if they are gently used. I'm not sure that holds true for long johns...

Last edited:
OP
M

mrgreen

WKR
I wonder if the peleton version fit different that the merino ones.

That's Genius! AND,... I'm an idiot. The Peleton is less expensive and comes in XXL.

Thank You Pods8, ordering now.

Stid2677

WKR
I have a pair of the Kuiu ones and I do not like them at all. The zippers add a lot of weight and have no stretch at all. I'm sure they are great for some, but not for me. I also found the zippers to be cold against my skin.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Haven't had issues with cold zips yet, I do like not having to remove boots when the morning to day temp swings so wide out here.

Good news is there are tons of other manufacturers for the non-zip ones for those that don't like them.

I use mine all the time and they have truly changed the layering decision making process in the mornings. Strangely they fit me great and don't fall down which I can't say the same for most long underwear I have worn. I have only tried on the first lite but they fit bigger in the butt and waist for the same size legs than the kuiu bottoms. I like the first lite but the first time you get hot and have them off and bundled back up in under a minute compared to your friend messing around with boots for 5 minutes plus you will be sold. The zippers never touch my skin at least not that I can tell, could be because they are tighter fitting on my legs.

OP
M

mrgreen

WKR
As the OP, I'll say it may just be that you should size up. I think the design and construction are great. I've just ordered the Peleton in XXl, we'll see how that works.

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
I have a love/hate relationship with Kuiu that is trending way more toward hate lately but the 145 Merino zip offs are awesome. I'm between XL and 2x so I sized up and they do well. The ability to zip them off is worth the fit issues. They are wearing thin after 3 years but thats Merino

OP
M

mrgreen

WKR
I'm between XL and 2x so I sized up and they do well. The ability to zip them off is worth the fit issues. They are wearing thin after 3 years but thats Merino

So they're just out of XXL? They didn't show them in OR out of stock.