Merino base-layers.... the low down ?

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, so after last late (that's November here) elk season and spending it in my Sitka core synthetics, I realized, uh, "biological bloom" in your skivvies can haunt you for a few weeks after a rough season... if ya smell what I'm steppin in... (Yay for Tinactin...) :eek:

So I am thinking that Merino would be a good choice due to the animicrobial properties and natural breathability... Now I've been looking around quite a bit and I'm in a quandry, it seems like merino isn't very sturdy. I mean guys are taking about 1 season per set? I'm only out maybe 20 days a year. Is that really an expected lifespan? :(

Also, no BS question: are the "hunting" companies Merino (Sitka, FL, Kuiu, Skre etc) any better than the mountaineering companies Merino? (Icebreaker is a well reviewed brand in that realm) I don't really care if my undies are camo, cause, well there UNDER MY CAMO! and the mountaineering brands are 25-50% less than the camo companies stuff.

Opinions are welcome and I would love to hear any info you may have and about your experiences!
Thanks ahead of time,
Pete

WoodBow

WKR
I have had my FL base layers for a year now and they are still going strong. I have backpack hunted about 10 days in them. I have worn them 30ish days of deer hunting treestands. The icebreaker stuff I have seen is almost see through it is so thin. I feel like I would shred it for sure.

elkyinzer

WKR
Boxers are the one piece I prefer synthetic. Just don't like the way merino feels there. Take two pairs and alternate, washing them when you cross creeks. I guess if that wasn't possible I would consider merino again.

All merino is a little fragile. You certainly don't want to go ripping through jaggers with it. I have heard stories of it being worn by pack straps but I have never had that issue hunting and training with it 30-50 days per year for 3-4 years. I abuse stuff pretty hard but I'm not careless or stupid with it. It gets a few holes, it adds character. Sew them up before they get too big and good to go.

TR909

FNG
Boxers are the one piece I prefer synthetic. Just don't like the way merino feels there. Take two pairs and alternate, washing them when you cross creeks. I guess if that wasn't possible I would consider merino again.

All merino is a little fragile. You certainly don't want to go ripping through jaggers with it. I have heard stories of it being worn by pack straps but I have never had that issue hunting and training with it 30-50 days per year for 3-4 years. I abuse stuff pretty hard but I'm not careless or stupid with it. It gets a few holes, it adds character. Sew them up before they get too big and good to go.

"Ripping through jaggers" - You'll rip your gutchies then what? Dahn to Pants n'at you go.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don't really care for baselayers when hunting out West. I wear merino baselayers here while hunting in treestands, but don't find them to be very warm. As soon as, I start moving the least little bit, I get hot in them. I've found that a down pant/coat combo works better for me than baselayers.

I do like wearing merino and fleece as a second layer, though. I have gotten as good or better service from nonhunting based company items than the ones geared towards hunting.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've found blends to be the best of best worlds. With a syn blend you get better durability AND faster drying. The sweet spot for me is about 65% merino to 35% syn, Patagonia's Merino 1 uses this blend (w/ Capilene); I think others are starting down this route as well.

I have a couple of well worn Merino 1 pieces that are going on year four.

Hey guys, so after last late (that's November here) elk season and spending it in my Sitka core synthetics, I realized, uh, "biological bloom" in your skivvies can haunt you for a few weeks after a rough season... if ya smell what I'm steppin in... (Yay for Tinactin...) :eek:

you need to bring a small bottle of gold bond with you. in order of importance: rifle, ammo, optics, gold bond, clothes...
gold bond also works in your boots
also don't ever shave below the neck before a hunt...

PresTex

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried wearing something like the ex officio boxer underneath everything instead of merino? I haven't tested them in a back country situation but even hunting here in Texas I'll wear them a couple days in a row and they don't get nasty and they would be super easy to clean if you have access to water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't really care for baselayers when hunting out West. I wear merino baselayers here while hunting in treestands, but don't find them to be very warm. As soon as, I start moving the least little bit, I get hot in them. I've found that a down pant/coat combo works better for me than baselayers.

My sole purpose for wearing lightweight merino base layers is for moisture management......wicking the sweat away from my skin. I'm elk hunting......I'm going to sweat regardless of what I'm wearing, and I want a layer over my skin to absorb the sweat and get it away from me........that's it. A down pant /coat combo won't do that.......it will just make it worse. I wear my merino base layers chasing speed goats in 90+ degree temps. It has absolutely nothing to do with keeping me warm. I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions out there, especially for tree stand hunters from the east, south, midwest. They hear about merino wool and how great it is, and they immediately think being wool that it's just for keeping them warm, then are very disappointed in it. It excels when you're covering 10+ miles a day in the heat in the mountains for days on end.

As for the non-hunting brands.....they're fine, all I wear is the solid color merino even in hunting brands. Can't stand the camo ones......when they get wet they stink to high heaven for whatever reason. The solids......not so much. My merino lasts quite a long time and I wear it throughout the winter and hunting seasons.

Last edited:

pbcarch

WKR
Have any of you tried things like under armor heat gear? It wicks away moisture and I use in both cold and hot weather. I use it all the time in cycling but don't know if it will work out west when I am wearing the same clothes for a week or so ?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
SkinnyPete

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
you need to bring a small bottle of gold bond with you. in order of importance: rifle, ammo, optics, gold bond, clothes...

Real talk, I did just that, every night at camp, it was a "whore bath" with wipee's and a powdering down. I F'ed up one night and fell asleep in my base layers, I think that's what hosed me. I agree with the gold bond, I also use that "monkey butt" powder stuff and it works pretty well.

pbcarch

WKR
well "monkey butt" is an issue with cycling clothes as well. After my races i remove my clothes and but on dry ones...it aint pretty otherwise

N2TRKYS

WKR
My sole purpose for wearing lightweight merino base layers is for moisture management......wicking the sweat away from my skin. I'm elk hunting......I'm going to sweat regardless of what I'm wearing, and I want a layer over my skin to absorb the sweat and get it away from me........that's it. A down pant /coat combo won't do that.......it will just make it worse. I wear my merino base layers chasing speed goats in 90+ degree temps. It has absolutely nothing to do with keeping me warm. I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions out there, especially for tree stand hunters from the east, south, midwest. They hear about merino wool and how great it is, and they immediately think being wool that it's just for keeping them warm, then are very disappointed in it. It excels when you're covering 10+ miles a day in the heat in the mountains for days on end.

As for the non-hunting brands.....they're fine, all I wear is the solid color merino even in hunting brands. Can't stand the camo ones......when they get wet they stink to high heaven for whatever reason. The solids......not so much. My merino lasts quite a long time and I wear it throughout the winter and hunting seasons.

The baselayers make me sweat worse when I'm moving, so it's not good for me. A down pant/coat combo is perfect for me cause it's light weight enough to carry in a pack and put it on after I stop and start to cool down. A heavy synthetic baselayer is better for me while treestand hunting when it gets cold here. Even then, I put on insulated bibs after I cool down from my walk in.

This year it snowed 10" at 9800' with 20 mph wind and a temp in the 20s on my elk hunt. Honestly, it just didn't feel as cold as it does here. I found out real quick that I didn't need near the clothing as I thought I would out there.

WoodBow

WKR
I wear synthetic boxer briefs with zero complaints. They are like $11 for two pair at walmart. Jockey brand. Comfortable fit, no noticeable odor, and i haven't chafed in them yet.

The first thing i noticed about the merino bottoms was that i could get sweaty hiking in them but never felt gross. UA ones feel mighthy swampy for me.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
I've worn Kuiu, First Lite and Minus 33. I like the Minus 33 the best, followed by First Lite. I Would like to her some reviews of Sitka's core merino.

The only reason to shave below the neck is if your a chick.

OP
SkinnyPete

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
The only reason to shave below the neck is if your a chick.
LMAO
Dude, if I don't manscape periodically I'd look like a gorilla escaped from the zoo.
I'm in Oregon, people are fascinated enough by the idea of sasquatch here, I don't need some scientist trankning and collaring me!
TMI?

TheCougar

WKR
I recently tried my first merino baselayer. The kuiu zip offs are the bomb, if only for the ability to remove them and keep your boots on. I'm sold on that feature alone.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've worn Kuiu, First Lite and Minus 33. I like the Minus 33 the best, followed by First Lite. I Would like to her some reviews of Sitka's core merino.
I have the sitka merino boxers. The wool is holding up well. Very comfortable. No stink. Fit isn't a homerun but that will vary on the person. I wish they made a lighter version for hot weather, that and the sleeves being short for me is why I haven't tried the shirt.

BuckSnort

WKR

Yep! I wear merino wool socks (hiking socks from Costco) every day all year long..People think I'm crazy wearing them when it's 100+ degrees but even when my feet are sweating they still feel dry... And they don't stink..