Merino Base layers for my bride...

WyoHnt300

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, just looking for some input on some merino base layers that are fit for women. My bride is excited to chase elk this fall for the first time and we are trying to outfit her (frugally but quality) without breaking the bank. Are there any 2nd/3rd tier companies that put out a decent product that will last a season or two? Thanks for the input/recommendations.

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
I've been buying smart wool for my wife on sierra trading post when they have decent sales or discounts. Sign up for the email list. Can usually pick up each piece for around $50 or less depending on their discount for the day.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
+1 on Sierra trading post. Sign up for their deal flyer, and watch for sales. Don't be afraid to order multiple styles or sizes and just return what doesn't fit, they have a great return policy.

I have merino base layers from Icebreaker, Smartwool, Stoic, Minus33, Ibex, and I/O bio to name a few, as well as a few off brands. All have been fine and worked well for me, though cut, sizing, softness etc varies by brand.

Hands down the best merino baselayers I own though came from First Lite's new Woman's line. Those guys really put a lot of time and energy into designing quality hunting layers specifically for women, and it shows. If I had to recommend splurging on one piece it would be the Artemis hoody, a 1/4 zip hooded merino long sleeve. I live in mine all summer and fall.

I've had great luck with all of my Ice Breaker merino, though now I use FL as does my wife. Bar none, the best out there.

Becca, i've been trying to talk my wife into that artemis hoodie. That thing is bad ass!

LostArra

WKR
Hey all, just looking for some input on some merino base layers that are fit for women. My bride is excited to chase elk this fall for the first time and we are trying to outfit her (frugally but quality) without breaking the bank. Are there any 2nd/3rd tier companies that put out a decent product that will last a season or two? Thanks for the input/recommendations.

If you are looking at just base layers and she doesn't want or need camo (which I've never understood for a base layer) then you might check Woolx. I just got an email about a clearance sale. I didn't look at the particulars but the sale prices are good for mens and womens items. I have been happy with the Woolx products I've got in the past.

Trial153

WKR
Ibex, and smart wool all make nice fitted baselayer for women, as least my wife thinks so

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you are looking at just base layers and she doesn't want or need camo (which I've never understood for a base layer)

A lot of us hunt with just our merino base layer as our only layer up top when it's hot out. However, having said that......all my merino base tops are all solid color......which doesn't bother me or the animals much.