Pants for Turkey Season

With deer season winding down I've started thinking about chasing those spring gobblers. I have several pairs of Prana and Kuhl pants but do not have any good camo pants to wear for turkey season. Last year I just wore my pranas and carried some camo netting that I would lay over my lap. I would like to have some good camo pants for this season. I have a Firstlite shirt in the real tree max 1 and I like that pattern a lot. I think it is the llano. I would like to have some pants to match. My other issue is I'm really short lol. I believe Ryan said in one of his live video that the First lite corrugate guide pants worked well for the vertically challenged. Do ya'll have any recommendations on some good Max 1 pants that the length could be altered? Thanks! gobble gobble

Oh, I'm usually right between a 30-32. I really like the materials of the hiking pants and have had a hard time finding camo pants constructed of similar materials.

Last edited:
I wear FL guide pants a lot when turkey hunting here in Ohio. I have them in Max1 as well and really like it for spring hunting, although FL does not sell it anymore. You can find them used sometimes, and i would recommend a small for that size waist.

OP
aclawrence
Bump for anymore turkey hunting pants suggestions. I also really like the looks of the Sitka Sub Alpine but just don’t have the funds for a new pair of Sitka pants. I really like the Kryptek patterns but don’t know a lot about their clothes. Are there any other good options out there I’m overlooking. Wanting to find some nylon/spandex blend of Camo pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeys won't know you're wearing brown pants if you sit still.

Since you asked though, I have a buddy who really likes his corrugate pants. They have a pretty strong taper in the lower legs.

I'll probably wear my attack pants for most of my turkey hunting this year.

AdamW

WKR
I was in a similar boat last season since I was retiring a pair of camo pants. I ended up making the switch to "whatever pants I want and a semi-leafy suit". There are just so many more options out there in solids and especially when you're trying to get a single camo pattern in a certain type of material, your options are extremely limited. There are only a handful of companies that make "technical" material hunting pants and other than the discontinued FL I don't know of anyone making them. Eddie Bauer Guide Pro and Prana Zions are my new Rokslide recommended and approved hunting pant. Great pants.

I wore the First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants last year. They are practically the perfect pant for turkey hunting. Durable and DWR coated. Can't speak to sizing, but don't worry about the realtree pattern, get the Fusion and upgrade.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I wear kanabs in turkey season I run into all kinds of temps swings in the spring

N2TRKYS

WKR
I wear the same camouflaged 60/40 cotton/poly blend BDUs turkey hunting that I wear deer hunting and elk hunting out West.

Owenst7

WKR
STP had some nice stretchy "famous brand" (under armor) pants when I was in there yesterday for $40. They had articulated knees and felt pretty durable. Looked pretty breathable also.

OP
aclawrence
I was in a similar boat last season since I was retiring a pair of camo pants. I ended up making the switch to "whatever pants I want and a semi-leafy suit". There are just so many more options out there in solids and especially when you're trying to get a single camo pattern in a certain type of material, your options are extremely limited. There are only a handful of companies that make "technical" material hunting pants and other than the discontinued FL I don't know of anyone making them. Eddie Bauer Guide Pro and Prana Zions are my new Rokslide recommended and approved hunting pant. Great pants.

Do you throw on the leafy suit when your setting up on a bird or do you just wear them over your pants? That's what I did last year with the camo netting but it's just one more thing to keep up and sometimes you have to set up in a hurry. I know the pattern is not critically important, doesn't seem to make any difference to the deer I'm hunting in NW Alabama but people always talk about how good a turkeys vision is.

boom

WKR
most of my turkey hunts involve a game blind. i pack it in on my back. it affords me that "any pants" option. i do like stuff like my pranas simply because i'm wading thru tall grass covered by wetness.

AdamW

WKR
Do you throw on the leafy suit when your setting up on a bird or do you just wear them over your pants? That's what I did last year with the camo netting but it's just one more thing to keep up and sometimes you have to set up in a hurry. I know the pattern is not critically important, doesn't seem to make any difference to the deer I'm hunting in NW Alabama but people always talk about how good a turkeys vision is.

Put them on before I leave the house or if a last minute hunt, put them on at the truck. Nothing extra to carry. I'm talking a leafy suit sort of like this.

Access Denied

Not sure about how they would alter for the length, but the new Sitka Ascent pants and the Ascent shirt were awesome for turkey hunting last year for me. But I guess it kind of depends on how you hunt and where you're at. I spot/stalk turkeys, so your hiking and moving around a lot, not sitting for hours trying to call them in. The ascents are light and very breathable. Good when its chilly in the morning and your moving around, but very nice when it gets to be 80 during the day and its warm out.

Btaylor

WKR
I used my Sitka Equinox last year and loved them for turkey hunting. Was curious how the elevated II would work hunting turkeys on the ground but none seemed to mind.

I'd head down to Walmart or Cabela's and find their greenest light weight setup. there's no need for expensive clothing to hunt Turkeys.
Aren't you afraid everyone will laugh at you?

Seriously though, sit still in neutral colors of whatever pants and you should have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
aclawrence
I don’t necessarily need expensive clothes. Honestly I really can’t afford the clothes I want right now. But I have come to love the Kuhl and Prana pants I wear all the time and I’m just not willing to wear some cheap pants from wal mart after I’ve been wearing these other pants. Ill just keep using my solid green Pranas and throw the camo netting over my lap to make me feel better if I can’t come up with an equal Camo pant option. It’s hard to go back to something crappy after you’ve experienced something a lot better.

Owenst7

WKR
I quit wearing my nice prana pants when I found the Wrangler tech pants at Walmart. They're tougher and have a more comfortable waist on them. Just because they're reasonably priced doesn't mean they are of lesser quality.

I'm probably about the same build as you. I wear a 32 and carry IWB. Probably wear a 30 without the pistol.

Cgeb

WKR
Sitka ascents with a Sitka lightweight top. They are nice and light, I'm usually moving a lot. I can put a vest over the top if it's colder. Have a leafy suit top with a hood I usually were over it.

OP
aclawrence
I’m not familiar with the wrangler tech pants. I just assume when you say Walmart your referring to like cotton 6 picket pants. I’m really more interested in the materials and patterns than where they come from. If it checks the boxes the cheaper the better.