KUIU vs. Firstlite

The Kuiu bashing is getting old.

I own and use both brands and you cannot go wrong with either. I have not used the newest First Lite Aerowool but own several pieces of the Llano, chama, and whatever the bottoms are. They have been great but, I prefer the Kuiu merino though. I was not a fan of the first generation Kuiu merino but the newer stuff with the nuyarn (125 SS, 145 LS, 145 bottoms) has been great. It breathes well, drys quick, has been durable, and fits me well (5'10" 185 wearing a size L). I'd give a slight edge to the Kuiu stuff. Hope this helps

the aerowool is a lot better. i ran all the kuiu nuyran 125 and 145 until i started running first lite aerowool and then i dumped the kuiu. for hot weather the FL aerowool is lighter, not as itchy, more durable and dries a lot quicker. plus FL supports conservation

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
Haha the Kuiu guys are so sensitive. It cracks me up. Apparently now if you prefer one thing over another that is bashing..

I prefer FL wool to Kuiu wool. It feels better and I've had good luck with It. I hunt in mostly dry climates though. Sorry for bashing

Interesting timing for this thread. A couple weeks ago I decided that I wanted to switch from Kuiu to FL for base layers. I find the older Kuiu merino to be more comfortable as compared to their NuYarn wool. I only have one FL shirt and haven't had a chance to try it much yet.

I have some Kuiu for sale and would be interested in buying FL tops if anybody has some for sale. Cipher preferred in Large.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/rokslide-classifieds/96951-fs-kuiu-sitka-icebreaker-hoyt.html?highlight=sitka+kuiu+hoyt

The only merino wool I wear is a next-to-skin light layer. I like it for comfort and odor resistance. Warmth is a plus. I'm completely over and done with merino mid and outer layers due to durability issues and weight. In this case I'm referring to backcountry hunts where weight and serious durability matter.

I like Sitka. I like KUIU. I like First Lite. I like some others. I don't think there's a clear leader here. Too many bodies and minds to please for that to happen. Brand loyalty tends to skew objectivity.

And to introduce another thought in terms of brands: If I was buying all new merino base layers, I likely wouldn't buy any of it from a hunting clothing supplier. I'd likely go to the backpacking/skiing/outdoor market. I'd probably be buying from LL Bean. For over a year I've been eyeing their Cresta (merino) Wool Base Layers. I've checked them out in the store and tried on a top. These things are super well made and feel like luxury against my skin. 100% merino wool. Good company.

NDGuy

WKR
If I was buying all new merino base layers, I likely wouldn't buy any of it from a hunting clothing supplier. I'd likely go to the backpacking/skiing/outdoor market. .

So many people overlook this, you can find some gems for a lot cheaper than the hunting lines.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite's new merino stuff is apparently supposed to be true to size now. Looking forward to trying some of it out. Love all of my First Lite gear and what the company stands for. I look forward to continuing not to support kuiu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There hasn’t been any Kuiu bashing?

It seems like when ever a guy comes on this forum asking about Kuiu someone always has to make sure and take a few jabs. Even if it’s not what the OP asked