Elk Newbie. Moving from the plans to the panhandle............

I guess I'll find out soon enough, but how do all these new hunters act / behave? Are they as polite and friendly as the people in town, or does the competitive nature of hunting turn them into selfish / rude types? How about respect for your gear / food? Do people tend to stay pretty honest up here, or do you need to keep everything locked up that isn't already nailed down?

Yes it is very sad as to what it used to be. Our population in this area has quadrupled in the last 10 years with everyone moving here.
I apologize for contributing to those numbers. We've had our eye on this area for over 10 years but had to wait for a couple kids to turn 18 to free us from our home state. While I know the traffic (on the streets and in the woods) has to be getting very frustrating, I'm expecting both Post Falls and CdA to end up quite a bit larger in the next 10 years. As long as Kalifornia continues to operate with their collective heads up their posteriors, peeing all over the conservative and taxing businesses out of state, and as long as Oregon and Washington continue to head down those same pathways, the BRIGHT RED states will continue to take on the right-wing refugees. At least the majority of the transplants are deepening the shade of red in states like ID, MT and WY but will increase hunting pressure and likely decrease hunting success.

Cooke,

Ditto brother.

My thoughts are that I routinely drive 24 hours or more for most of my elk/deer hunts so I can be in any part of Idaho in less than 8 so scouting is more doable.

Decent elk/deer populations in those units but FYI be prepared for thousands of other hunters converging on those units in sep/oct/nov. Unit 4 is the most heavily hunted unit in the state per f&g. Hunted these units all my life and they have turned into absolute madness.
Moved here last year spent tons of time in unit 4 6 7 it goes crazy! All my hard scouting turned out to be a waste of time Sadly. I did however get spike with some stupid luck some other hunters pushed him to me while in unit 4

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

if you are hunting in an easy to reach area, you will see a lot of hunters. a lot of guys like to climb in the morning and descend in the evening. Think opposite of that and you will get away from other hunters.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
With the population boom I guess it was to be expected an increase in hunters.

So does a guy try to get further off the beaten path to avoid the hunters or move onto another unit?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Farther removed, more difficult, up earlier, out of the way places, cameras, other units. My brother and I were into buglers both days this weekend. We worked our asses off and met a guy yesterday strolling in at 10am we talked he asked how you do said we had fun and got real close twice but we also walked 30 miles and were walking with headlamps at 4:45 and out till dark the one night..we all need luck but you have to want it, plan, and think outside the box in otc hunting...good luck👍 Good thing for aleve and ice

^ Yup! There is some good hunting but the pressure, both man and predator, has gone up astronomically the last few years. Doesn't mean there aren't animals, just that you're aren't going to bugle in 4-5 bulls a day like just a few years ago. The winter took a toll on the deer as well this year. I'm not Elk hunting Idaho this year, cashed in my points for WY so one less predator in the woods this season.;)

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Population Boom indeed! With 5 guys on this thread alone saying "just moved here" to hunt, you can clearly see the hunting pressure will only get worse. It is hard to get away from other hunters when they blaze ATV and motorcycle trails in every canyon and have a logging road above and below every canyon. Good luck to all, but if you moved here for amazing hunting opportunities, those are truthfully long gone.

I definitely did not anticipate the boom. I moved here about a 1000 reasons......hunting was one of them for sure.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
You've got that right! There's 5 out of state plates to 1 Idaho plate. I often feel I'm the outsider even considering I'm a native. Coach - To have success up here I'd suggest plenty of time off, a good map and good boots.

I have definitely noticed the out of state plates...although it is tough to know who lives here vs who is on vacation.

I am an electrician........a lot of the people I work for are either new to the area......or locals who complain about the new people. I get it 100%

I appreciate the input. I have an awesome vacation package.......can read a map and do not mind putting in the miles.

Thank you.

KurtR

WKR
I think pressure is relative to where you are from. When we were hunting elk out there last year i thought it was awesome we did see very many people compared to what i am used to seeing out here deer hunting. Ran into three different people last year when we got back in. Used to seeing a pickup on every section line here.

Spent a decent bit of time in unit 4 last week. Only heard one cow call on Thurs about 4:15 am. Also a cow moose crashing through about 60 yards from camp. A few white tails were seen out of bow range and my demolished bear bait station. I'm disabled and can't wander too far from the roads but I spent most of my time within 1-200 yds of the main thoroughfare and only saw about a half dozen trucks and a few side-by-sides that were just cruising through and saw nobody on foot.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Somebody up above mentioned that the good hunting of the past is gone........but does that change anything?

I came from North Dakota. Hunted Pheasant religiously in the days of shooting your limit daily in less than an hour. Since then we have had winterkill, habitat loss, predator explosion......sure nothing like the old days, but still better than a day of work.

After a few trips in, I do have to say that the two-legged predators are 1/10th of what I was used to in FarNorCal. Wasn't able to call in multiple bulls every day, but it wasn't hard to find one that would have a chat with me and I only bought my first reed a few weeks ago.