New Year "New Season"

Tejasbow

FNG
Must have left a lot in the tank on day one. Last night I went 4.8 with an additional 10lbs in my pack. = tank empty

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for the delay guys. It's been going crazy here. Finished the hunt and drove back. Back to work on 3 hours of sleep. Spent all day Saturday setting up for the Eau Claire triathlon and conducting the kids triathlon. Raced the Eau Claire triathlon yesterday. Been trying to get unpacked, meat cut-up, and prepping for this week-end's train to hunt competition. Busy, busy, busy.

Got my Iowa deer application in last night right at the witching hour of 11:45!

I promise some hunt updates tonight.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
0803f5ed9dd579635199033273c71ca5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some details. We hunted with Ron and Jeannine Dare of Bear Track Outfitters. They are about 2.5 hours North of Winnipeg Manitoba. This hunt has a Sunday arrival and hunting Monday through Friday, departing on Saturday morning. I called Ron before booking and made arrangements to arrive a little early and hunt Sunday night. I technically would not hunt until Hunter filled his tag, as I would be videoing his hunt. There were 3 main goals for this trip, besides the obvious one of having fun and spending time with my son.

1) Test the Ironwill heads
2) Shoot two bears
3) Get them both on video.

We had a great time and should have completed all 3 goals. I made an error that sent that out the window though.

Bear Track has a wounding policy in place, as do most canadian outfitters. If you draw blood and don't recover your animal, your tag is notched. With the first few days of rain, we would be especially cautious. Bears are notorious for not bleeding well. Lots of fat to plug up those broadhead holes.

We got to camp late Saturday night. We couldn't check in until Sunday morning but we were prepared to sleep in the truck. After talking to Ron and Jeannine we took the truck around the lake to one of the causeways, even though it was cloudy there were some carp in shallow right off the road. Hunter laughed and thought it was going to be easy, they were close......awhile later he finally believed what I had told him. I've shot 10's of thousands of pounds of carp in my life. It's easily my favorite hobby behind bowhunting. After he had missed a half dozen I gave him the video camera and told him to watch and learn ;) and then I started letting the muzzy tips eat. He thought it was cooler than heck. Cloudy and around 9 pm it was getting dark and the carp were headed back to deeper water. We decided to head back to camp and get the truck ready for sleep.

Once ready we pulled out a laptop and watched Step Brothers......always good for a bunch of laughs.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getting up Sunday morning we were greeted by rain. It was time to check in and get the cabin organized. This took a couple hours and then we got hunting and camera gear ready for the nights hunt. We still had a few hours to kill so Hunter took a nap and I got a workout in. About 3:30 we started packing up the truck and got ready to rollout. We were headed to "New Bait" which was only a couple miles from camp. There was an average bear with 3 legs working this bait, and one big boar. One really nice thing is Bear Track has cameras at all of the baits and have a good handle on what bears are around and what daylight activity was.

We walked in and were set up in the tree by 4:30 pm. Slight drizzle all afternoon and evening. A friend of mine had hunted this bait the week prior and told us where to expect the three legged bear to come from, as he had passed him up looking for a big P&Y caliber style bear.

Even though it had been raining for two days I was able to hear "the Snare Bear" break a twig on his way in. As soon as I heard it and my eyes shifted, I spotted him. I knew it was him immediately. I whispered to Hunter "Bear", move. He knew that was his cue that he could stand and get his bow off the hanger. At the same time I was swiveling the camera and getting it focused.

Within seconds he was in the open and at the bait. He definitely had a huge limp, and was missing part of his front left leg. This made it hard for him to stand and eat, move the barrel, get bait out of the barrel, etc. He was facing from the right, looking to the left. For the most part he was broadside a majority of the time. With his disability though he was constantly moving up and down and didn't really settle into a "stationary" shootable position. When he was in a good position that left leg would always hang back and cover the vitals.

Hunter would draw and start getting ready but then he would move and that leg would cover or the angle would change. This went on for 5-6 different draw cycles over a 10 minute window. It made for some great footage, but by now every time Hunter let down the whole dang tree would be shaking! No I'm not exaggerating, the kid was literally shaking from head to foot. Harvest or not, we had already had a successful trip!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a couple days before leaving I put Fluorescent Green Nockturnals on our arrows. This would come into play.

After 10 or so minutes the bear settled into a quartering away position. His bad leg was still back a bit, but not all the way back to the rear leg like the many previous times. Being conscious of the wounding policy, the wounded bear, and Hunter's shooting ability I told him to tuck as close to the back side of the front leg as he could. If the shot felt comfortable and he thought he could make it, I told him he could. At the same time reminding him that if anything went sideways the wounding policy would end his hunt. He just kept aiming and a few seconds later I could see the bright green flash through the air and impact the bear. I knew the shot was back, probably entering near side liver, but angling forward.

The bear lunged and the arrow backed out part way and the florescent green was waving in the air as the bear limped 3-4 yards. I immediately told him to get another arrow in the bear. The bear was leaning against a tree, steeply quartering away, as the next arrow arced from his bow. In the adrenaline rush and excitement he pulled this arrow a couple inches right and it hit the left rear quarter of the bear, knocking him down. He stood back to his feet and hobbled off into the bush about 20 yards. Although it was dark back where he was the green nock lit up well and we could keep track of him.

The nocked moved back and forth for a couple minutes tops, then it just stuck straight in the air, a green beacon of light pointing to the sky. Minutes later we approached the green nock and then could see the bear sprawled out. There was no question he was now done suffering.

It never ceases to amaze me how tough and strong willed wild animals are. This animal had chewed or rung his own foot off after being illegally caught in a snare. With bones protruding beneath the snare he continued on every day doing what he could to survive. Amazing.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 1 for me was up early. We took care of Hunter's bear, had breakfast, and then was off with our guide Sean checking cameras and baits. It was uneventful sit. Nothing but Ravens sighted.

6 Hunter's in camp. One bear was shot at 6pm, but left overnight as the blood stopped quick. It was recovered early the next morning. Nice sow.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
aaf9d24405018cb5ed51715775412446.jpg

A few of the needed items. Small cabins for 4 people. We made it work.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
b519e81388c33dca7c60a76322ddba91.jpg

He finally hit one, then he figured it out.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
311df209c3cddc4b01de991a503798b9.jpg

Paddle Trail 1. My first night sit.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 2: Up early, get breakfast then check new baits and cameras. Back for lunch around 2, dressed and head into Indian Trail 1. This is where the big bear was with the sow the evening before. High anticipation.

3:00-10:30 sit. Nothing sighted but crow's/ravens and red squirrels.

From 9:45-10:30 the mosquito's were intense! Like nothing I've ever seen. Holding the Thermacell in my hand, just a couple inches from my face and it still wasn't enough. Absolutely insane.

At 10:30 I started my walk out. Just over a mile. Once reaching the road I kicked back under a pine to stay hidden from the rain, covered my face from the bugs and took a nap. Sean arrived around 11:40 and it was back to the camp for supper.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
2eb123c8e59106590da7781ad3065ba7.jpg

Hunter getting some practice in before his sit.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 3: Wednesday morning brought 8 am breakfast and off to check baits and cameras again. Wind switched and it was good for Indian Trail #2 bait. 1, 2, and 3 have all had good bears on them in the last couple days. #2 hadn't been hunted for quite awhile. We decided not to bait it or check cameras prior to hunting it. That is one of the things I always did while guiding. I would always bait and drop the Hunter at the same time. There were times that the hunter would see the bear before the atv was out of hearing range. Many times we would get a call before even getting the machine loaded that a bear was down.

I got into the stand about 3:30. It was HOT. Mid 80's, not a typical late May early June type of day. It was fairly quiet, only a few red squirrels and ravens showing up.

I did see something I had never seen in thousands of hours from a stand. All you hunters with any time in the woods with red squirrels can relate. Picture the scene that you have seen hundreds of times over.....one red squirrel chasing another around the woods at warp speed. I always wondered why they were chasing one another and what they would do if catching one another. Well as these two come at me mach speed I could see the rear one gaining on the other. They had crossed onto some moss and I'm not sure if the lead one couldn't hear the chaser, or if the back one was just that much faster. 6' 5' 4' the gap was shrinking 3' 2' and then the lead one basically just stopped and the chaser was wide open. It was funnier than hell, that back one ran smack into the ass end of the leader and they both went tumbling in a big mess. I literally kind of giggled out loud. Too funny.

By pure coincidence right now it's 9:05 pm. One week ago at 9:06 pm I heard a twig break, not red squirrel weight. I knew instantly it took some weight to break it. I waited, and waited. 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes. Then boom there he was, a big mass of black stepped out of thin air like he was just floating along. 20 yards broadside, wide open. I'm submitting this entry right now at the exact minute one week ago I spotted my first bear!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
As he walked towards the bait barrels I turned the camera on and swiveled him into view, zooming him in and getting him focused. It was only seconds before he was to some bait. I checked the camera again, made a small adjustment and started to draw. As I started my draw he laid down. Perfectly broadside at 16 yards. At full draw I checked the camera again. I knew with him lying down his death chamber would compress tight and out to the sides. Shooting the Ironmind course for the last few months has made me rock steady and superbly confident in my ability again. There was zero pressure. I went through my routine.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
6a9b435e20701dd0bfd9d3922d24eade.jpg

Before I knew what happened the Ironwill tipped FMJ led the bright green Nockturnal right behind the shoulder. If you look to the right of the buckets you can see a dark line a couple feet long. This is where the arrow bounced along the dirt.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
62ca96f9a249e3af18dfd5f1a4c2adcb.jpg

I hate to post pictures without details, but for now this will cover it. Will try to get some more details out tomorrow with more time available hopefully. I did not see anything tonight. Cold, rainy, and windy all day.

Congratulations Hunter! I think you are the first person to take a bear with the Iron Will broadheads. Well done!!!