New Year "New Season"

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
At it again this morning. Turkeys are quiet though. We'll see what happens. Forgot the camera tripod so this should be interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very quiet this morning. Almost zero gobbling, and nothing close. Blanket fog didn't help I'm sure. Back at it tomorrow morning with all the gear hopefully. These 3:30 am mornings are taking their toll.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Broke in the new Sitka Subalpine this morning.
33e0b076810ca31378141f1ba60057ef.jpg

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hunter and I were out this morning. Terribly quiet. This is the strangest turkey season I've ever dealt with. No shortage of birds, they are just silent. It's very weird.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hunter and I were out this morning. Terribly quiet. This is the strangest turkey season I've ever dealt with. No shortage of birds, they are just silent. It's very weird.
Mine were vocal they'd just get hung at 70 and refuse to come to the decoys.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had a great day flyfishing on Saturday. We caught a lot of fish and got some sun. Fresh fish fry coming up.

Yesterday was another tough day in the turkey woods. Had 11 birds gobbling. We moved and reset many times and could not get anything to break away. Around 7am I changed calling methods and went pretty much into attack mode. I got as aggressive as I possibly could. I was able to get two groups of 4 birds gobbling, they were about 3/8 of a mile away and 1/4 mile apart. I was running a reed, 2 slates, a box call, and a gobble shaker. It was enough to get them fired up and bring them to 200 yards from us. Problem was there was a 40 yard chunck of wet sponge right before the road and they would not cross it. Not one of those 8 birds would break. They gobbled nonstop and were still gobbling when we pulled the pin at 10:30. Talk about frustrating. I'm not kidding when I say we heard 800-1000 gobbles yesterday morning. Very cool, but frustrating at the same time. We couldn't reposition because they were on private and I had to get them across to where we were. onXmaps was great for this, but I just couldn't find any land closer or a way to make it work.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
5th Season turkey starts tomorrow. Weather permitting I'll get out a limited amount this week, and then the week-end.

On a bigger scale Hunter and I leave for Manitoba in 11 days. I ended up grabbing a cancellation hunt over Memorial week, 2 weeks ago. This will be our first guided hunt. I feel a little different about it, but also pretty excited to just show up and relax and hunt! Sounds like the fishing will be ok, and the bowfishing should be hot.

I'll start posting some gear updates here as we begin packing and organizing. Good thing we have been shooting non-stop for the last couple months :)

We will both be archery hunting.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good Luck! Were you able to coordinate with Dean's hunt?

Hey Tim,

No I had no idea Dean was even hunting bears, or would be at this camp. This was a cancellation hunt and when I posted that we took it he called me and we chatted about it. He will be leaving Canada the morning I leave WI. We will pass on the highway somewhere, and hopefully have a celebratory drink :)

Looking forward to following yours and Hunter's bear hunt/bow-fishing/fishing trip. Kill yourself a turkey and find some Morells to go with it.

You're racking up some quality Dad trips with Hunter. Kudos.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Slept in with rain and storms this morning. Spin class tonight and then starting to pack. It will be nice to get the Ironwill's screwed on and quivered up!

midwest

FNG
Bear Track was my first ever and only guided hunt as well. It was the most relaxing hunt I've ever been on. Went with 3 friends and we had a blast. 4 bears in 3 days. If the carp are up, the bowfishing is phenomenal. We went the 1st week of June and they had just come in to spawn. You have to see it to believe it.

I would go again just to eat Jeannine's cooking.

This is great hunt to take your son on. Best of luck, Les!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
837a6a8e2dd978ef381660977402108b.jpg

I've never shot lighted nocks but I set Hunter and I with Nockturnals. Picked up a cpl of sea to summit big nets hoping not to need them.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
206de401ab1673e59a8e1d0c0c01e673.jpg

Looks like Hunter drew muzzy elk again!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
f438e90089ff7fd32c23512a8c7a9c56.jpg

Mostly packed. Final things to go in tonight.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Manitoba. Bear hunting . Ready to roll out. Will post updates when possible.
a4b25237f291323c172e39599517a1fc.jpg

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
abd1f72fecc67b0473e7f7aa3314682b.jpg

Made it to Manitoba. Just getting moved into our cabin.