Colorado Front Range Elk Activity

fishslap

WKR
I went for a hike yesterday evening and ran into a local herd that's pretty well known. The three branch antlered bulls were mostly rubbed off with a little velvet hanging on the white antlers. All the spikes were still in velvet except a couple. The three rubbed off bulls were doing some light sparring with a little pushing going on. The 3x3 went after the 5x5 which made it fun to watch. Cows were chirping pretty good but nothing from the bulls. Bigger bulls will start joining them in a few weeks I expect.

Was this the herd up around Rabbit Mountain? Or the one over west of town off Nelson near that gun club? I see them west of the buffalo ranch pretty often. I havent been out that way from town lately though.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
Rabbit mountain. I hike there several times a week with a weighted pack getting ready for muzzleloader season. I live over off 75th and clover basin but I haven't been up by the gun club lately. I've seen them out there in the past. Also saw a few whitetail doe coming out of rabbit mountain and also around pella.

I found a strip of antler velvet next to a tree that got worked while I was out scouting last weekend.

One more week!

LongWayAround, good luck! I was just up there this morning doing a conditioning hike. I took some pictures. Here are a few.

GEmMKcx.jpg

joMV9Re.jpg

rkJtPc1.jpg

ypXrSUl.jpg

vanish

WKR
I need to go watch those guys sometime.

Did you happen to get one of the cow permits for there?

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
I need to go watch those guys sometime.

Did you happen to get one of the cow permits for there?

Negative and probably won't, but I'd help someone pack one out if they needed it. I'll be hunting the northwest part of the state with a muzzleloader in a few weeks.