A solo September to remember

HTNFSH

FNG
I've been thinking about hunting elk country since my last adventure in 2018. It was nearly a last-minute decision this year and wanted to make the most of the time and had forgotten how much I missed the mountains.

For a little context, my very first elk hunt was a full-on backcountry backpack deal, and had no idea what I was doing. My buddy and I saw elk and bear. The next three hunts were guided. I learned a few more things and was able to call a really nice bull for another buddy after we left the outfitter to do our own thing.

September 23'
My goal was to look at this hunt through the eyes of a newbie. I didn't put anything on the ground, but I got out of my comfort zone on several occasions. Driving insanely rugged roads, lots of hiking with more pack weight than I'm used to, spike camping alone, and just flat-out being exposed to the wilderness were some of the best parts of the trip. With 5 elk hunts under my belt, I guess you could say that I am still a greenhorn. For obvious reasons, I won't disclose locations other than to say it was public and in two different units. There were a number of hunters (dozen or so) moving to or from areas on the roads I used. I didn't run into a single person until I was on my way out on my 5th day. I met some great folks and added some more knowledge to my library.

This was a week-long trip with 5 effective hunting days.
2 Cows (@30yards) had no shot when the wind switched
1 Bull 5x5 about 85 yards. (bedded below me all day and didn't know he was there until the thermals changed)
2 other bulls bugling I backed out to chase another day....and they disappeared. (Coulda, woulda, shoulda, stayed with them)
1 good sized bear at 35 yards (no tag, dag nabbit)

I could have worked a little harder a maybe been able to take home a trophy. However, I left the elk woods blessed for what I saw, pushing my limits and having excitement to do it again next year.

Rogue Bay

WKR
Sounds like a great trip and I very much respect your positive outlook. I know I certainly need to be reminded from time to time that it’s all about the experience and each outing is a gift. Sometimes I expect success and get frustrated when it doesn’t come when/where I want it. Your post is inspirational. Thank you for sharing with us!

I really needed to read this! Thanks for posting. I was a little afraid of camping alone but this encouraged me to just get out there!

Fowl Play

WKR
That's what its all about! Good on you for getting out there despite all the excuses that could keep you home! Solo elk taste better

After you go solo the first time, it builds a lot of confidence in your self and abilities. Having an Inreach is a must and helps with staying in touch with family. I can relate … have been going solo now a few years… it is hard to find someone as committed to backcountry elk hunting. What part of Ohio you from?

OP
HTNFSH

HTNFSH

FNG
After you go solo the first time, it builds a lot of confidence in your self and abilities. Having an Inreach is a must and helps with staying in touch with family. I can relate … have been going solo now a few years… it is hard to find someone as committed to backcountry elk hunting. What part of Ohio you from?
Yeah the solo trip definitely built some confidence. I picked up an inreach to check in back home. It was a worthwhile investment.

I'm from central Ohio.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk