Headed to Idaho!!

fatbacks

WKR
Alaska boy is headed to Idaho - just got my 2018 license and elk tag! Headed down after August Dall sheep hunt and September moose/mountain goat. This will be my my first big game hunt out west. Pretty stoked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
b66be2b9761c591cf6fafa1063dadc06.jpg

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
sweet! i haven't done any purchasing yet because I'm undecided on which unit i want to hunt.

Congrats! I do think it’s funny that you say it’s your first big game hunt out west right after you listed your other hunts! Lol! You’ll love ID. Good luck! Keep us posted.

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
Ha! I should have clarified and said Mountain West. Grew up in Idaho and only hunted upland game. Been in Alaska the past 12 years where I got into big game hunting and have been lucky enough to take moose, deer, sheep, caribou and bear. Anyhow, stoked to go chase some elk and possibly a muley!

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
I got the salmon b tag. Buddies from Idaho haven’t filled me in on the specifics. Just said that’s the tag I need.

Sweet. That's a good zone. Multiple people I know have had bulls pop off towards the start of the hunt so you can cross your fingers for that.

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
Sweet. That's a good zone. Multiple people I know have had bulls pop off towards the start of the hunt so you can cross your fingers for that.

what are your thoughts on A tag in South Hills? Puts me about 12 hours from home and my research says it's a tough hunt but some quality bulls in there.

Never been in there and haven't heard hunt reports from friends or fellow members. Gohunt is pretty high on it if I remember right. The archery harvest stats (not an end all be all) look decent, plenty good at least, with good percentages of 6 pts. I do think it has some trophy potential, as do most general archery units without a general rifle season.

Go for it if you like what you're seeing from your online scouting. Talk to the bio. I wouldn't let travel time sway you too much. What's 4 or even 6 more hours of total driving? You want to be really sold on a place because your success rates increase when you return to an area regularly.

deadend88

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely agree with you there on the 4-6 hours more not a major deal. I have to use up a major bargaining chip on this one with the wife. First time away from home since our son was born more than 72 hours. Have to ease her into it with the little guy on her hands. Thanks for response.

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
Well 2018 is shaping up nicely - looks like I might get to hunt Elk twice this year! Drew the DE318 tag in Alaska for Etolin Island Elk. Archery only and success rates are pretty bad... sounds like a challenge! Only problem is that I drew a Delta Sheep tag as well. Going to be tough to fit it all in!

Fullfan

WKR
Good deal on the B tag, the last several years they have gone fast. Be warned that some of the Salmon zone is becoming over run with hunters, Last several years it has been bad. Have been hunting there for the past 25-30 years on and off in rifle season, going the last 3 weeks of Sept this fall. Hope not to have as many hunters around. Good luck and buy a wolf tag..

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I got the salmon b tag. Buddies from Idaho haven’t filled me in on the specifics. Just said that’s the tag I need.

I hunted the Salmon zone last year and have my B tag for this year. Going to try to hunt Colorado 1st Rifle if we get drawn, then shoot up for a few days hunt near Challis. Our alternate plan is Colorado 3rd week, so a quick trip up to Idaho before Colorado may be doable.

There were a lot of hunters along the roads and trails, all the camp sites were filled up. A good majority of them didn't get too far off the road. When we hiked back up in the hills, we saw very few hunters. Matter of fact, the only hunters I saw off the road were a pair of hunters on horse back heading up the pack trail as we were heading out. That was our second year elk hunting and still learning the hard lessons.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
“Headed to Idaho” eh? Isn’t everyone...?

Couldn’t help myself
See you there ;)

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
Got it done!

Well, made it back from Idaho and it was pretty awesome. Missed a chance 5x6 rag horn on the first day and then tagged out the last day of the season on a spike. From what my friends said, the lack of snow and warm temps kept the elk from moving around. They usually see a lot more.

All my big game hunting had been in Alaska prior to this... was super fun hunting the dry arid mountains in the west. I plan on doing it again!

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
The spike elk capped of an incredible fall... full freezers this year....

6fe63264f8da4e472658af270ab411d8.jpg

Alaska treated me well earlier this fall as well:

73a454dcec5cba4feb34c418bbae3dd5.jpg

2ee0289567d24f9ae18da6549ad64e63.jpg