257wby?

I've tried searching the forums for this for the past couple of days, but something seems to be wrong with the server for searches.

I'm looking for anyone's feedback that has hunted elk with a 257WBY - would you do it again? Good, bad, and/or ugly.

I know it's all about shot placement, and I'm good there.

I also know there is a contingent about bigger is better, but I would really love to take this rifle with me on an elk hunt in Utah this year.

Thoughts?

TauPhi111

WKR
The search works weird. first you type the term in the box in the upper right, then when the next page comes up, fill in the field that makes sure you're not a robot, and you can click search.

I seem to remember a thread from not too long ago where someone was asking about a 257 weatherby, the overall opinion was it should be fine with heavy, stoutly constructed bullets. I always vote for a monolithic regardless of caliber. I think Barnes makes a 115

OP
A
I was looking at the 120 grain Nosler partition.

And on the search, I get to the second screen and fill everything out and when I hit search the same screen refreshes but now it says that there is currently a problem with the server. It's been doing that to me for the past couple of days only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
110 accubond or 120 partition
Both carry lethal elk energy past 400 yards, the heaviest quarter bore barnes are 100s

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TauPhi111

WKR
110 accubond or 120 partition
Both carry lethal elk energy past 400 yards, the heaviest quarter bore barnes are 100s

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yes, in the tipped version. They make a non-tipped, normal base TSX that is 115 grains.

ColoradoV

WKR

.257 bee worked well for my wife's first buck and bull. Since then I have shot 3 cow elk with it and in total they all went maybe 50 yds. I have been a 30 cal guy for years and this little caliber has impressed me..

As others have said choose a good bullet and you should be fine w good placement.

TexasCub

WKR
A 100gr TTSX at 3600+ FPS is a death ray, and I’d aim for at least one shoulder with it. It’s not an elk but pretty close in size, 425 yard shot and didn’t go 20 yards.

004-8.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A
Awesome feedback! Thanks for the info guys.

ColoradoV - what bullet waste you and your wife using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havent shot an Elk with it, but my 06 is shooting the
AB 110s a little over 3200fps. As a side note, i prefer the term "Death Laser" ;)

Go to Google and type in ".257 Weatherby for elk" and you get a whole lot of info. Google always works better than the site specific search functions for me. If you want to search a specific site, add that to the search criteria. Good luck and enjoy the elk meat!

bmart2622

WKR
I read somewhere that the ballistics of a 110 257 Wby were equivalent to a 150gr 30.06 and nobody would question the validity of the -06 as an elk round. I only shot 1 elk with my Wby but it was a close shot like 60yds so not a real test of its ability. I have shot 2 deer and an antelope
all at 200+yds with it though and the wound channels rival anything I have seen including my 300 RUM. The thing is a hammer.

It kills them just fine. Just use a 100-120gr bonded, mono, or partition style bullet and avoid Texas heart shots. The velocity does make it unforgiving on blood burger when you hit large muscle groups, so keep that in mind.

Bulldawg

WKR
I haven't killed an elk with mine yet, but there is a good chance that I will be doing just that here shortly, mostly because my .300 isn't shooting the way that it needs to bee shooting right now.

I will most likely shoot an elk in the neck with my .257 though, i'm just a little nervous about a shoulder shot although i know I shouldn't be haha.