Looking For Suggestions - (Elk) Mountain Rifle Build Shooting Copper

Fen

FNG
Hey folks, I've been searching this forum (and the internet in general) for tips and suggestions for a while now regarding the title of this thread. I feel like I'm almost there but I figured I'd reach out and get advice directly at this point.

I have experience mountain hunting with a Remington 783 (22'' nonthreaded barrel) in .308 (10.25lbs fully setup) using Nosler E-Tips in 168gr and Hornady Outfitters in 165gr on elk (bulls and cows), deer and antelope, all inside of 250 yards with success. I've always tried to get close (within 250-300) and usually hike 4-8 miles a day on an average hunt.

Last year I hunted in a new area where shot opportunities reached out to >300 yards and I felt a little under velocity with my .308 (with box ammo). Additionally, I hunted with a buddy who had a silencer and now I'm interested in obtaining one myself, though I'm not particularly interested (or even know if its worth it) in getting my barrel threaded on my 783.

As an aside, I have a self imposed limit of 300 yards, though I'd like to have the option to reach out to 350-400 yards at some point. I also exclusively shoot copper for personal reasons and would rather not debate that.

I'm now looking for a rifle/cartridge setup to hunt elk that:

1) Weighs around roughly 6.5-7.5 pounds without scope.
2) Has a (threaded) barrel length around 22''-24".
3) Shoots copper out to 350-400 yards, staying within the 2000-2,200 fps (the latter being optimal) window and 1,500 ft/lb for that matter.
4) Utilizes available and relatively common box copper ammo (as I don't reload).
5) Is preferably in the 7mm or .30 Cal family.
6) Isn't more than around $1500.
7) Doesn't have intense recoil, though I plan on obtaining a 5"-7" silencer regardless, looking at TBAC, Scythe Ti and Banish Backcountry among others. I'm uninterested in utilizing a muzzle break.

As of now, I'm going back and forth between a .270, .308, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag and a 7PRC in a Tikka (T3x Lite Roughtech) or Bergara (Wilderness Ridge, Carbon or Sierra). I know that I need to be pushing copper bullets fast and it seems I'm limited if I don't reload (I don't have the space or capacity).

I'm having difficulty finding the balance between weight, barrel length, recoil and cost/availability of ammo among the plethora of factors involving this decision. I know there isn't a perfect combo but I'm interested in what other folks would do in this situation.

Any thoughts, help or advice would be great and thanks in advance, lots of great info on here.

If you go .300wm the Barnes VOR-TX factory loads will give you 2200fps (allegedly) at 500 yards with 180 grain copper.

I’m shooting it in a T3X, sure it kicks… but a limbsaver claims a 75% reduction in felt recoil, and I’m going to put an MBM brake on it which will be good for something like another 70% reduction in recoil. So with a 145% reduction in recoil… 😂

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
I think this may for what your looking for. I just got one in 6 5 PRC. But they also make it in 280. A.I. Not sure on availability of ammo for the 280 A.I.

Kimber makes some offerings, Tikka is also great.

300 WM is an awesome round. It gives you lots of options on ammo. I have one, but I handload and shoot Nosler AB 200 gr bullets.

My suggestion is to consider getting into handloading. It's isn't super difficult and gives you a lot more options on ammo. It also let's you take marginal rounds and speed them up a bit. Usually..

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

A 6.5 or 7 PRC with Hornady CX ammo (no personal experience with these, only used Barnes and Hammer) give effective ranges of 400 and 500 yards, respectively with the parameters you’ve listed.

Choose what you want to shoot and then find a rifle that accommodates it.

Gila

WKR
For a lightweight mountain rifle like that, I would consider a Kimber or Tikka in 6.5 PRC or .308. You won’t get a 7 PRC in a Tikka any time soon though.You should be just fine out to 500 yards in a 308. These days the newer technology for monos uses a softer metal and the bullets are designed to petal at a much lower velocity. The obsolete designs needed a minimum of 2,000fps. The newer bullets are down to around 1500fps to petal properly depending on the vendor.

I don’t shoot a can. My barrels arel 24 inches which is about as long as it can be to get through brush and branches when strapped to the pack. I ditched the long action cartridges and magnums on my two elk rifles and went with short action cartridges. They are both around 8.5 lbs with scope.

BigLou

FNG
totally agree with 300WM and 180gr Barnes triple shock. A Vais muzzle break will work wonders on recoil.

CDK

FNG
There’s a nice tikka roughtech 300wm in the classifieds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Savage Ultralight in 7 PRC and load it with Hornady CX 160 gr and hope Barnes brings 7PRC 145 LRX to the plate.

Hoffy

FNG
I think the Bergaras you listed would be a great choice. I always gravitate to something with a Remington 700 style action, since you'll invariably discover things you might like to change about the gun and having a remington 700 footprint makes anything easily replaceable at almost any budget. As for caliber, I love all of the PRC cartridges, and Bergara makes them all.

Tikka rough tech in 30-06 comes with a 20 inch barrel to help you with OAL when you screw a can on and already threaded tube. Lots of mono options and you should have plenty of velocity at 400 to still be safe for monos opening.

If it was me would prefer the T3X lite stainless and get chopped/threaded by a smith. Will be lighter and you can choose a shorter barrel length of 18-20 inches.

SloppyJ

WKR
300wsm if you want a factory option. I'd recommend a 280ai, 7prc, or 6.5prc though. I find the 280ai a little classier and personally would run 160gr partitions for a max distance of 300yds. I've had great luck with that setup.

This day and age you can order any custom ammo you want if you don't reload. The 300wsm might be available in factory loaded copper bullets but I'm not 100% sure.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Doubt what I'm about to say will be popular but you asked and what I have to offer is within your initial specs...

Savage 110 Storm or Lightweight version gets your weight range. Caliber in 7-08 with a 145 LRX. Lots of factory loads are sub 1 moa or very close including Norma 150s and Hornady 150 ELD-X and Winchester 140s. I did some custom load testing from Copper Creek, Choice and Underwood. Copper Creek were sub 1/2 inch of not hole on hole in 150 TTSX and 145 LRX. I went with the 145s even though the 150s had tighter groups.

7-08 cartridge comparison Here's a link to a post I made recently with my findings comparing loads. Check out the chart.....

WKR
As an aside, I have a self imposed limit of 300 yards, though I'd like to have the option to reach out to 350-400 yards at some point. I also exclusively shoot copper for personal reasons and would rather not debate that.
The .270 Winchester with 130 TTSX.

JFK

WKR
The .270 Winchester with 130 TTSX.

This. The factory 129lrx stuff is almost more available now days and a better bullet.

I’d steer clear of the 308. Muzzle velocity of 3000fps is what you are looking for and you ain’t going to get it with any of the factory offerings in 308.

I went Tikka T3x lite in 30-06. Loaded up some Barnes ttsx 150gr. Working on 130grs now and may switch to 168grs for an elk load. Should be able to kill elk well outside the range I’m confident in shooting. So 300-400 yds.

Rifle is 7.2 lbs and handles very nice. Once my suppressor comes in I’ll send it in to be chopped and threaded.

I’d steer clear of the 308. Muzzle velocity of 3000fps is what you are looking for and you ain’t going to get it with any of the factory offerings in 308.
Barnes 130gr vor-tx in 308 is claims to be going 3125fps. I know I’m loading them over 3200fps.