10MM ammo & G20 questions/advice

I just picked up a G20 to become my primary backcountry sidearm. I am heading to Alaska for a Kodak island hunt in 2017 and I live/hunt in Colorado, so I chose the caliber for bear protection if needed.

I just ordered 300 rounds of 180 gr ball ammo to break it in with. What ammo is everyone loading it with to carry in the backcountry? I will probably just load it with some Hornady XTP hollow points for home protection, but I was thinking of the buffalo bore hard cast ammo for penetration on a big bear if needed.

Also, for those of you with a G20 (or any Glock), what night sites do you prefer?

I've already ordered the Blackhawk serpa holster with the strike force attachment for my kifaru belt webbing...any other accessories I am missing that anyone would recommend?

bbrown

WKR
I have been running Underwood through mine and happy. You can definitely feel the jump in power from the HSM practice rounds I was using and they are actually cheaper than anything I have found locally if you buy more than 2 boxes.

dotman

WKR
I like 220gr underwood hardcasts. BUT they did not stabilize in a factory barrel, have to upgrade to a Lonewolf and this goes for any 220gr bullets, 200's seem to stabilize fine. IMO the glock barrels are ok for self defense rounds but not good for 4 legged defense. The Lonewolf barrels are better in that they will shot everything great. I also would recommend a 3.5lb trigger arm or whatever it is called to reduce that trigger pull.

HOT ROD

WKR
Glock

I like the truglo tfx sites. I have a set on my glock 22 and 43. They are easy to pick up day or night.

Attachments

• truglo tfx.jpg
    truglo tfx.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 122

WKR
I like Underwood 180 hollowpoints in mine. I think it makes a great CO packing rig for hiking or fishing trips.

OP
B
I like 220gr underwood hardcasts. BUT they did not stabilize in a factory barrel, have to upgrade to a Lonewolf and this goes for any 220gr bullets, 200's seem to stabilize fine. IMO the glock barrels are ok for self defense rounds but not good for 4 legged defense. The Lonewolf barrels are better in that they will shot everything great. I also would recommend a 3.5lb trigger arm or whatever it is called to reduce that trigger pull.

Interesting, I own 4 glocks now (G42 .380, G19 9mm, G21 45 auto, and now the G20) and they have all chewed up and shot everything I have put in them very accurately. I have 180g ammo on the way to break it in, I guess I need to find some 220gr to see what happens with accuracy.

I am very interested in the trigger rig you mention, any links or brands you could direct me too? I am used to the heavy trigger pull and that long pull where you sort of set the trigger, but having a light option might make me more accurate...

OP
B
I have been running Underwood through mine and happy. You can definitely feel the jump in power from the HSM practice rounds I was using and they are actually cheaper than anything I have found locally if you buy more than 2 boxes.

Which underwoods are you running bbrown? I have a vote for hollow points and hard cast in some posts, but you didn't specify...please let me know.

I did a ton of research on Bullets when I bought my glock 20 in 2012. What you need for deep straight line penetration in a hardcast bullet is an optimum meplat diameter. There are only two bullets out there that offer this. One and the original is the bearclaw. The other is the double tap hardcast gas checked. I am not affiliated with double tap but feel very strongly about the choice of bullet if you need the bullet to do the job it was purchased for. Buffalo Bore and Underwood Bullets have more than the meplat working against them. Pretty sure BB is unchanged since I did my research and I cannot confirm on Underwood. In my opinion the DT 230 is too heavy to get good velocity with. In my stock G20 the DT 200 grain hardcast WFNGC is very accurate and reliable. I have cycled a few hundred rounds through my gun over the last few years and have had zero issues. I know one of the issues with the underwood was terrible lead fouling almost smearing because it was not gas checked that in addition to the non optimized meplat eliminated it from my decision. I run a 3.5 pound trigger connector and polished the surfaces of the trigger group. I also added a stainless recoil spring rod and a 22 or 24 pound spring. Not sure what you can do for the spring now with the gen 4.

bbrown

WKR
Which underwoods are you running bbrown? I have a vote for hollow points and hard cast in some posts, but you didn't specify...please let me know.
I picked up a box of just about everything and settled on the 150 nosler HPs for around the house, 180 FMJ for practice and toying with the 200s for woods carry. Still may grab some buffalo bore or DT hard casts to play around with.

OP
B
I did a ton of research on Bullets when I bought my glock 20 in 2012. What you need for deep straight line penetration in a hardcast bullet is an optimum meplat diameter. There are only two bullets out there that offer this. One and the original is the bearclaw. The other is the double tap hardcast gas checked. I am not affiliated with double tap but feel very strongly about the choice of bullet if you need the bullet to do the job it was purchased for. Buffalo Bore and Underwood Bullets have more than the meplat working against them. Pretty sure BB is unchanged since I did my research and I cannot confirm on Underwood. In my opinion the DT 230 is too heavy to get good velocity with. In my stock G20 the DT 200 grain hardcast WFNGC is very accurate and reliable. I have cycled a few hundred rounds through my gun over the last few years and have had zero issues. I know one of the issues with the underwood was terrible lead fouling almost smearing because it was not gas checked that in addition to the non optimized meplat eliminated it from my decision. I run a 3.5 pound trigger connector and polished the surfaces of the trigger group. I also added a stainless recoil spring rod and a 22 or 24 pound spring. Not sure what you can do for the spring now with the gen 4.

Great info here...thank you!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I to prefer the DT 200 gr option. I did upgrade to the Lone Wolf barrel, no malfunctions and many rounds sent downrange.

Good choice with the 20! My 29 (and all my Glocks) has eaten absolutely everything. For sights, TruGlo TFOs work great day and night

Kotaman

WKR

This is what I've done with mine exactly: 220 Underwood Hard Casts with Lone Wolf barrel. I don't think hollow points are a good option in Brown Bear Country. For me, the Underwoods were quite a bit faster over the chrono than the DT's. I haven't noticed any significant fouling in the Lone Wolf barrel with the Underwood Hard Casts.

husky390

WKR
Meprolight Adjustable Night Sights on mine with a 6" KKM barrel. I've used BB 180gr JHP and 220gr HC in mine. I've run into some issues with the BB 220gr HC. First "issue" is the slide would lock open with one round in the mag intermittently. The second issue is for whatever reason it turned into a one shot wonder. It could have been the gun being dirty or too much oil that thickened up because it was cold out. I haven't had a chance to go out and try it again but since the 180's are shooting very well at a good velocity I'll probably just stick with them here in CO.

Figured I would wait as I don't want to hijack this but is there an advantage to the G20 over the smaller G29?