Kimber Mountain Ascent

GKPrice

Banned
A .300 WSM, .280 AI, and a .270. Holy cow! Only thing wrong is that you don't seem to have an 84M. Just try one and you'll have trouble going back to those heavy 6 lb. boat paddles. :D

Thanks for the info! I usually don't wear hearing protection in the field, but I could probably learn to (earplugs, anyway). At the range I'm always well protected.

What about using the brake at the range, but not in the field? Have you tried that? Any idea if the brake changes the POI much?

taking the brake off CAN and often does change the POI so it needs to be checked

GKPrice

Banned
I appreciate that perspective, GK, because I too have some tinnitus that I don't want to exacerbate. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never been around anyone who had a brake; hence my ignorance.

There's no brake on my 7mm-08 84M (2008 version) and I don't anticipate changing that. But it seems that Kimber is putting brakes on all the MAs, and even the 84M and 84L are threaded for them now according to the website.

That Kimber has made a habit of MB's on every chambering is true but notice that they also provide a cute little thread protector for those of us who choose not to use them - It's a personal choice and most of my pointed comments against brakes are meant to be "tongue in cheek" but my feelings on them FOR MYSELF are mostly negative - My main non-family hunting partner shoots a Kenny Jarrett .300, which is somewhat of a kicker, an older one of maybe 20 years or so, it came with a brake AND a thread protector (which has been on it since day one) I'll not soon be walking around the hills with muffs on, I've tried to carry those plugs with an around the neck connector but when the smoke clears they're still where they were when the shooting started - this may seem like a devisive thing to say, not meant to be ... long range shooters have the time to put all sorts of contraptions on prior to setting up for the shot, not often the case when hunting traditionally so clearly there could be TWO schools of thought to base discussions from

VernAK

WKR
I seriously considered the 280AI when buying my MA but the 270 has done me well for well over 50 years and I have hundreds of dollars of 270 brass, bullets and dies on the shelf besides having two other 270s in the safe.

I've divested of several near calibers and have gone to fitting different weight/construction bullet loads for each rifle......currently running 110TTSX, 130 NPs and 160 NPs in my 270s

The MA brake very significantly reduces recoil and yes it is noisy as hell but then I'm nearly deaf so what the hell.

GKPrice

Banned
I seriously considered the 280AI when buying my MA but the 270 has done me well for well over 50 years and I have hundreds of dollars of 270 brass, bullets and dies on the shelf besides having two other 270s in the safe.

I've divested of several near calibers and have gone to fitting different weight/construction bullet loads for each rifle......currently running 110TTSX, 130 NPs and 160 NPs in my 270s

The MA brake very significantly reduces recoil and yes it is noisy as hell but then I'm nearly deaf so what the hell.

"near deaf" and "DEAF" are different believe me ..... I now wear protection when I run the worm drive saw or any other noisy tools too (but I don't have any 2x6's jumping out in front of me or sneaking up on me unexpectedly lately either)

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I've been trying to keep myself from buying a mountain ascent, but this thread is seriously threatening my self-control.

Grumman

WKR
I've been trying to keep myself from buying a mountain ascent, but this thread is seriously threatening my self-control.

Yeah me too. Caused me to go and handle one at the gun store the other day. Loved it just not ready to drop the money yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdog

Lil-Rokslider

I recently lost the battle to a 6.5 Creedmoor. Just received rings today...next step...to the range.
KImber%206.5%20CM-L.jpg

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Damn, that is a nice looking rig. You'll have to let me know how it shoots. I have a feeling when I do slap down the cash for one it will be either a 6.5 Creedmoor, 280 AI, or 7mm RM.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I spent twelve years in an artillery unit, I don't wanna hear anything about muzzle brakes :) My cousin has a couple of the Adirondacks in 7-08, tack drivers with factory Barnes 140 TTSX. He's back east though. I'm considering an MA in 300 Win Mag as a cover all bases load. I've already got a 7-08 myself but the 300 can stretch its legs a bit better. Perhaps a 26 Nosler, but we'll see. I believe his Adirondacks are well under 6lbs with Talley rings and HD5s on them. Fine backpack rifles for sure.

oenanthe

WKR
I'm in the same boat - have a 7-08 and thinking about a .300 for moose and longer range. Pretty well set on a Kimber, but I'm having trouble deciding between .300 WinMag and .300 WSM. the WM probably feeds better, store ammo is a little cheaper, and it gets probably 100 fps more. But the WSM Montana or MA is a fair bit lighter, and a fair bit shorter overall. Good thing I've got all winter to decide?

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on these two Kimbers. And any others as well! :)

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I've had 1 session at the range so far to break the barrel in. Its a fun rifle to shoot...but being so lightweight you need to really pay attention to technique as others have said. I'm playing with Berger 140 VLD Hunting bullets with H4350. I loaded .5 gr increments looking to see what I could get out of the 6.5 cm before pressure signs in this rifle. Ran out of loads before showing any pressure signs, but was surprised my velocity wasn't a bit higher. I'm going to try and get it out again in the next few days and will post up.

rbljack

WKR
After carrying around my wifes 270 weatherby vanguard around the mountains for a week, I went over to cabelas to put my hands on one of these Mountain Accent Rifles. Overall I was impressed by the weight (or lack of). The one downside for me was the bolt doesn't slide very smoothly, and it just seemed a bit sloppy. Probably nothing, but just something I noticed while at the counter.

Now here is the dilemma: If I buy one of these, it needs to be something both myself and the wife can carry around/shoot, using them primarily for mule deer and Elk in the mountains. Not trying to start a caliber war, but my initial thought is 7mm-08. Because these rifles are so light, I want a caliber that wont give the wife a flinch when she does get shot opportunities. Also need a caliber sufficient for elk and deer. From what im reading.....7mm-08 would be good out to about 400 yards on either deer or elk. Looking for inputs on this.

I haven't done my homework on the 280 AI, or the 6.5m and haven't really explored them, so fire back if you can provide some input on this. Another reason I think the 7mm-08 may be a better choice is because the ammo is easy to find.

Muttly

WKR
Almost the same boat as above, have a .257 Montana that the Missus likes weight wise, and doesn't mind the recoil. Like the idea of an 06 or 300 Win Mag for a little extra oomph, but I keep coming back to the 280 AI for what looks like the best balance of power for weight carried.
Keep meaning to pose pretty much the same question as above. Mountain goat would be on the menu..
If anybody happens to have a wife that shoots a 280 MA, how does she like it??..

Stid2677

WKR
Almost the same boat as above, have a .257 Montana that the Missus likes weight wise, and doesn't mind the recoil. Like the idea of an 06 or 300 Win Mag for a little extra oomph, but I keep coming back to the 280 AI for what looks like the best balance of power for weight carried.
Keep meaning to pose pretty much the same question as above. Mountain goat would be on the menu..
If anybody happens to have a wife that shoots a 280 MA, how does she like it??..

I have a pair of MAs, mine is an 06 and the wife's is a 280AI. She really likes it and has taken a ram with hers. I also have killed a couple goats with her 280AI. I prefer the 06, not as picky about what I feed it, and feeds smoother.

IMGP4212_zps2ca14d87.jpg

IMGP4191_zps57acc961.jpg

IMGP4196_zpsd362e315.jpg

PA080135_zps696c1095.jpg

Muttly

WKR
Thank,s Steve, appreciate the info!!
Once upon a time, made the mistake of letting my wife try shooting a sorta light 9.3.. Been pretty cautious about avoiding any hard kickers for her ever since then.
And she doesn, t like anything tooo much heavier than a Montana. Sorta contrary by nature though, she has a 44 mag that she likes, and wants to get a Garand, which ain,t light, and a rolling block, which is even less lightweight..

Stid2677

WKR
Thank,s Steve, appreciate the info!!
Once upon a time, made the mistake of letting my wife try shooting a sorta light 9.3.. Been pretty cautious about avoiding any hard kickers for her ever since then.
And she doesn, t like anything tooo much heavier than a Montana. Sorta contrary by nature though, she has a 44 mag that she likes, and wants to get a Garand, which ain,t light, and a rolling block, which is even less lightweight..

The brakes on these really tame the muzzle flip and recoil. My wife like I said is a light weight and she has no issue with recoil on the 280ai

OP
AK Troutbum
The brakes on these really tame the muzzle flip and recoil. My wife like I said is a light weight and she has no issue with recoil on the 280ai

Yup, can definitely attest to this. The difference between my .270 MA and .280 AI Montana, is night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk