Wanting a new rifle. Kimber or build my own?

Hey guys I've got the itch for a new rifle, I've decided on a 6.5 creedmoor. I mostly backpack hunt so I want to keep the weight down as much as possible. I'm looking for you guys opinion on whether I should just pick up a Kimber and be done or if you think I would be able to pick up a donor action from either a tikka or remington 700 and rebarrel, drop it in a new stock and have a gun that could be close to the weight of the Kimber? The idea of getting a donor action and going that route kind of appeals to me just cause I have never done it before. So what do you guys say? Also any advice on components to use if building my own would be greatly appreciated.

Fire_9

WKR
It kind of depends on your budget but if you're willing to spend the extra cash I would find a donor action and build one. Throw a quality stock (mcmillan, manner, hs precision) and barrel (krieger, bartlein, lija, benchmark, brux) on it and it will shoot one ragged hole.

16Bore

WKR
Kimber Montana is a turn key deal and you'll be dollars ahead in the end.

And when/if you get tired of it you won't lose your ass either.

For the money
You can buy two kimbers a Montana and a mountain ascent for the price of one custom build

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
I have done both,, still own 2 Kimber Mountain Ascents and an Adirondack. All 3 are worth close to what I paid. I had a custom Remington 700 built on one of their titanium actions, had over 3K into that one and was finally able to sell it for for about half of what I had in it. Customs are great, but most only appeal to the person they were built for. Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve

robtattoo

WKR
Also, in the savage's favor, you can switch calibers at home in 10 minutes with $40 of tools. Switching to .308 or 7-08 would be a cinch.

If you are going to go custom I would only go with one of the big name smiths in a conventional cartridge. Reason being is that it will retain its value and you generally will not have any issues in selling it.

I have heard great things about the Kimbers. At that price range you can also check out the Tikka's which are amazing rifles as well. Also for the price of a custom you can get a Kimber and some nice vortex or nightforce glass...just saying..

Beastmode

WKR
How much do you want to spend? The cheapest route would be a kimber. If you want a truly personal rifle there are many builders that offer lightweight platforms. I would highly recommend Travis at Rbros rifles. His customer service and attention to detail is incredible.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Daniel_M

WKR
I'll third the kimber. I'm by no means an expert. I don't own a pile of rifles nor consider myself a collector. I have one Kimber, my primary go-to rifle in '06. Out of the box, it shoots under .5MOA off a good rest. It is extremely consistent between all of the factory ammo I have shot between Barnes TTSX, NAB or Sciroccos. the pencil barrel will heat up quick if you stack shots and it will open up the accuracy. .33" was my best group while sighting. With Talley UL rings and a Leupold VX-2 3-9, 6#11oz.

Tikka's are great. My wife has one since she is a lefty. Also in '06 and just over 7#, scoped.

5 shot from cold bore, boxed ammo.

a05c8695b34bb11bff10480ec4191904.jpg

mtnkid85

WKR
I'll third the kimber. I'm by no means an expert. I don't own a pile of rifles nor consider myself a collector. I have one Kimber, my primary go-to rifle in '06. Out of the box, it shoots under .5MOA off a good rest. It is extremely consistent between all of the factory ammo I have shot between Barnes TTSX, NAB or Sciroccos. the pencil barrel will heat up quick if you stack shots and it will open up the accuracy. .33" was my best group while sighting. With Talley UL rings and a Leupold VX-2 3-9, 6#11oz.

Tikka's are great. My wife has one since she is a lefty. Also in '06 and just over 7#, scoped.

5 shot from cold bore, boxed ammo.

a05c8695b34bb11bff10480ec4191904.jpg

Great shooting! How long between each shot did you take while shooting that group?

Daniel_M

WKR
Great shooting! How long between each shot did you take while shooting that group?

Maybe a minute or so. Mag wasn't stacked so I was shooting 1 in the pipe and reload. Plus time between shots to scope the target. I also leave the range dirty, so any following cold bore shot is under range conditions. This was my first group of 5 using some new Swift Ammo... prior zero was with Barnes. Chrono'd a little lower than I had expected but very stable. Plenty good for my needs. I'm waiting for my CDS dial, once it shows up I'll hit the range again and triple check my work before going to Kodiak.

16Bore

WKR
No complaints there. Sometimes I wish I'd gone 30-06 instead of 270 when I got my Montana.

30-06 guys don't worry about shit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry.....

30-06 guys don't worry about shit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry.....
:cool:
Love my Tikka T3 superlite in 30-06 topped with a vx-3 CDS....All in under 1,200 bucks, shoots lights out and carries up and down mountains like a dream.
I went back and forth on building a custom 280 AI then when I really priced it out...just didn't make sense for me.
I don't reload, so availability of factory ammo actually did play a role for me.

Boreal

WKR
I picked up a Kimber Montana in 6.5 Creedmoor about a month ago. Love this rifle. Weighed the Montana and MA in the shop, both were right on 5#. Saved $600 with the Montana and put that into a swaro 3-9x36. 6# total.

Working on loads now, but 123 gr SST factory ammo was great, as was the 143 gr ELD-X factory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Daniel_M

WKR
They're a good rifle for the dollar for sure. Controlled round feed, 4+1, 3 position safety. Pillar bedded action. Hard to beat, really.

7lb 7 5/8oz ready to go. I shed over 3# selling my REM 700 and have zero regrets.

6172d6baaca5512bde0d1bdffa6f0e40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ReddingArcher
Thanks for all the replies. I have been thinking it over and think I will go with a Kimber Montana. I have a tikka that I love and shoots great, just wanting something new to play with. I also starting looking at the Christensen Arms Ridgeline. Still think I'm gonna go with the Montana. Thanks again!!

N2TRKYS

WKR
I would own a Kimber, as soon as, they get rid of that useless control round fed action. For a rifle company that is touting light weight rifles, you'd think that would've been dropped years ago.

16Bore

WKR
Mine goes 6#7oz with LW's and a 6x42. Good luck finding lighter.