GA Precision

OP
WestNE

WestNE

WKR
My hunting and PRS rifles are built by one of the best bench rest gunsmiths in the country. And I have no reservations on how they perform in the field. I even shoot them suppressed, with dirt and grit all through the actions. And they hammer. And cost 1/2 as much as a GAP rifle. My point is, do your research. You can get waaaaay more for your money, and not sacrifice any cosmetic or performance quality, by avoiding GAP.
Understood, and thank you for not getting defensive to my post, seems to be a common response these days... How did you find your smith? Just research and references I assume? One of my buddy draws to these big smiths is the peace of mind of numerous reviews online.

I might just be a little too paranoid as well...

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So much disinformation spoken here, let me see if I can help.

People have this belief that GAP is the best ,because every one talks about GAP. GAP puts out TONS of money into sponsoring shooting events, and sponsoring shooters. Its all marketing guys.

GA Precision rifles is not all marketing. George Gardner is a hunter, first and foremost. He hunts a TON and so his background is hunting. He is very humble and knows his stuff. He hires the best gunsmiths and the best shooters. Marketing? Hardly. When Chris Kyle wrote in his book American Sniper about being a proud owner of a GA Precision rifle, George never knew until someone pointed it out in his book. He was surprised. George also does not spend "TONS" of money on marketing. His rifles speak for themselves.

So please explain where all of the marketing is?

I shoot with the Pittsburgh SWAT team on occasion, and they were just completely reoutfitted with GAP rifles. And I wasn't impressed at all.

Just because you shoot with the "SWAT team" means nothing. Their experience and skill sets are for a much different environment than any of us will ever experience. There experience has pretty much zero application in the hunting realm. So then why drop that fact, as if to say that because you shoot with them, you know anything?

Ive seen much nicer and better performing guns coming from other gunsmiths who don't pump the PRS circuit with sponsorships. VORTEX is the same way. yeah their warranty is top notch. And thats because you'll need to use it. They also spend a ton of money sponsoring people to push their product.

Any time I see someone shooting a GAP rifle I always think to myself "a sucker is born every day".

Anytime I see someone not shooting a GAP rifle I feel bad, especially when it fails in some way. After 4 years of mud, rain, snow, cold, heat, rapid fire, etc I have never had an issue with my rifle at all. So how is it we are all suckers?

Don't take my word for it.

Trust me, I won't.

Fire_9

WKR
Tikka rifle for donor action $650
Bartlein Barrel $350
Wildcat Composites stock $450
tune stock trigger $100
smith labor $500
muzzle brake Not needed

bullet proof optic mounts $100

SWFA SS scope $599

$2750 out the door promised to shoot bonded core or monolithics to 3/4" MOA to 500 yards = happy customer (working guy)

This is an option that a lot of people overlook. I agree 100% that a donor action with a good barrel and stock can shoot outstanding. It is an option that I don't hesitate to use. I included a custom action to have more of an apples to apples comparison. I also agree that you don't have to pay top dollar for a good quality build. There is no magic pixie dust that these guys use to make sure their rifles shoot. I am fortunate enough to have access to machines and have build a handful of rifles for myself. I was coached through the first one and since then I've been on my own. They haven't been perfect but all of them have shot better than I can. This stuff isn't rocket science. My point is you can find a guy that does this out of his garage and you'll get a rifle that shoots just as good. It doesn't have to come out of a CNC in a huge shop. Ask around and you'll find a guy that will build you a great rifle cheaper than you though possible. Word travels pretty fast and far if a guy turns out shitty rifles...

Wow this got to be fun. We got swat guys killing bad guys at over 200 yards and Garner building terrible rifles... both historically falses.

Lots of great builders out there. GAP is one of the best. Is GAP the best, no. Is there a best, no.

GAP been building rifles for a long long time so he has lots of return clients and new clients, so his amount of orders justify the price.

Lots of good builders out there, it's fun watching them grow and become more popular unfortunately means prices adjust accordingly.

Lots of people can shoot to 1k with enough range time, not to many people have the time or skill to load develop out to 1k yards. If those people want to buy a developed and mapped out "system" from gunwerks, MOA, Redrock etc more power to them. I hate reloading and working up loads thus I drop my off.

To the Op want a GAP buy it and shot the heck out of it and smile every time you pull the trigger,

If someone wants a semi custom Tikka, great great price point option, but its a build based on the tikka's action historically being very square, and tuning a trigger that wasn't developed to be sub 3lbs....thus saving you money over blueprinting a remmy and drop in trigger purposely built for sub 3lbs to ozs.

OTC ammo 1/2 MOA promise is easy with certain calibers other calibers may take a few MFG's.

dotman

WKR
My hunting and PRS rifles are built by one of the best bench rest gunsmiths in the country. And I have no reservations on how they perform in the field. I even shoot them suppressed, with dirt and grit all through the actions. And they hammer. And cost 1/2 as much as a GAP rifle. My point is, do your research. You can get waaaaay more for your money, and not sacrifice any cosmetic or performance quality, by avoiding GAP.

Who do you use?

dotman

WKR
This is an option that a lot of people overlook. I agree 100% that a donor action with a good barrel and stock can shoot outstanding. It is an option that I don't hesitate to use. I included a custom action to have more of an apples to apples comparison. I also agree that you don't have to pay top dollar for a good quality build. There is no magic pixie dust that these guys use to make sure their rifles shoot. I am fortunate enough to have access to machines and have build a handful of rifles for myself. I was coached through the first one and since then I've been on my own. They haven't been perfect but all of them have shot better than I can. This stuff isn't rocket science. My point is you can find a guy that does this out of his garage and you'll get a rifle that shoots just as good. It doesn't have to come out of a CNC in a huge shop. Ask around and you'll find a guy that will build you a great rifle cheaper than you though possible. Word travels pretty fast and far if a guy turns out shitty rifles...

I agree with this as well, my Forbes 270win is getting a Kreiger #0 contour in 6.5x284 put on it :). It was under MOA out of the box but what it likes couldn't be loaded to fit the mag box. I'm not having Melvin do the work as I find him to be a complete ass who will not work with customers outside of his own desires. He builds a great rifle but so do a bunch of others.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered GAP's non-typical rifle January of 2016. It took approximately 6 months to build, the only upgrade I had was a Manners sl stock rather than the Bell and Carlson stock that are specified for them. Mine is a 300 wsm and drives tacks with factory 180 gr Accubonds. It easily meets the 1/2 moa guarantee and I'm not even shooting match ammo with it. My plan is to reload for it but so far life has got in the way. I have no other custom guns to compare it to but the build quality seems outstanding and I am very pleased with what I thought was a reasonable price for a custom gun. Just my expieriance, I would highly recommend them.

KurtR

WKR
So much disinformation spoken here, let me see if I can help.

GA Precision rifles is not all marketing. George Gardner is a hunter, first and foremost. He hunts a TON and so his background is hunting. He is very humble and knows his stuff. He hires the best gunsmiths and the best shooters. Marketing? Hardly. When Chris Kyle wrote in his book American Sniper about being a proud owner of a GA Precision rifle, George never knew until someone pointed it out in his book. He was surprised. George also does not spend "TONS" of money on marketing. His rifles speak for themselves.

So please explain where all of the marketing is?

Just because you shoot with the "SWAT team" means nothing. Their experience and skill sets are for a much different environment than any of us will ever experience. There experience has pretty much zero application in the hunting realm. So then why drop that fact, as if to say that because you shoot with them, you know anything?

Anytime I see someone not shooting a GAP rifle I feel bad, especially when it fails in some way. After 4 years of mud, rain, snow, cold, heat, rapid fire, etc I have never had an issue with my rifle at all. So how is it we are all suckers?

Trust me, I won't.

This conversation would be even funner now that the old hide is back. Marketing and hype being the reason gap has the reputation they do made me lol. Thanks for some facts.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Have a GAP m40 clone I got several years ago. I was planning on getting into long range shooting but ended up taking a job overseas which ended up lasting for 6 years so that gun just sat in the safe.

I've shot it out to 300yds but like I said, moved away before getting to play with it very much. Maybe some day.

flatfoot

FNG
Seems like most are comparing apples to oranges. Parts alone can range from $1,500 to $4,000 depending on what you want. After all, that's the point of a custom rifle. As for the price of the smithing, that depends on supply and demand. GAP has built up a nice reputation and prices accordingly. The price reflects a known quantity in terms of quality gunsmithing services. Can you find a small/medium smith that does work as good as GAP? Of course, but you are taking a leap of faith until that person has enough business to truly make an educated decision.

I don't know why we have to knock a gunsmith's reputation to prove you can make a gun cheaper. You are also not a fool for paying a known gunsmith to make the gun for you. A Ford may be quicker than an Audi, but some of us just want an Audi. As for the gun being overkill for "hunting". What price for confidence that you will always make the shot? It's all about stacking tolerances. If you can hit 6" at 900 yards then you can probably make the 100 yard shot under difficult shooting conditions that some others couldn't. After all a good shot is the only ethical result.

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I'm from Kansas City originally and know George personally. He has built me a few rifles. I believe he makes one of the best tactical/hunting rifles made currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk