Getting my bike cycle hunting ready.

OP
Hunter6

Hunter6

WKR
Titan. Would love to see what u got but your picture isn't showing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xziang

WKR
Friend got me into just using standard game cart carabeanered to a rear cargo rack. You do need to have a decent rack on the back to affix the game cart too but it works pretty well. We drilled a hole in the middle of the game cart and used an I bolt to attach a carabeaner to that and then to the rear rack.

This is usually used on levee's which is crushed rock and fairly smooth. The 'bob' trailers will work too. I've noticed the cabelas game carriers which look like they would actually be a better fit for hauling gear.

The other thing I've seen another guy do is use ATV gun mounts on the handle bars to put his bow in. Have fun and good luck.

Mike7

WKR
Try a Bob trailer first if you can in the type of terrain you will be riding and with the load that you will be packing. I keep hearing people recommend Bob trailers, but without any details of why they recommend these. I have a Bob trailer and live in the mountainous NW, and I almost never use the Bob for hunting because it is such an inefficient design. Sure, if you plan on only transporting light loads, absolutely need a trailer for single track trails, and those trails are relatively benign as far as ruggedness, then a Bob trailer is the only option besides loading your bike/bike racks down or packing the weight on you back.

I road in 75 lbs several miles up a rugged closed road earlier this week on a $15 yard sale trailer (probably $40 all together when you consider that I had to buy webbing straps for it to make a bottom sling and for new tires/tubes). I took a couple of pictures and will try to get them up for you. I had to cross about 30 blown down logs and a couple of road closure berms while going in and then going back out. I only had to cut two 8-10 inch logs which were waist high. Any log chest high and above I slipped right under, and everything thigh and below I crawled right over. I never once unhooked my bike. This is possible because the trailer had an articulating hitch and the tires are directly under the load. A Bob trailer does not have these features.

The other thing that can not be understated, is that you can push you bike up a steep road while pulling a two wheeled trailer with an articulating hitch with minimal effort. This is because you can cant your bike to the side while pushing and it does not affect the trailer. When the Bob trailer cants to one side while pushing your bike up a road, or also for that matter while you are riding your bike down a difficult/technical road/trail, then you are constantly fighting to keep the Bob trailer upright. It is like the difference between carrying a properly loaded and poorly loaded backpack...not a big deal with light loads, but incredibly inefficient for medium to heavy loads.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My wife and I have used BOB trailers in the past to haul our gear in and gear/caribou or gear/black bears out.

The work pretty well and its nice to not have all the weight on your back (though I have done that too for short distances).

I was originally going to go the bike rack route to negate the trailer, but it quickly became apparent that being able to put most of the gear off my back was important especially if I get an animal I was going to need more space and weight capacity than a bike rack could handle.

I am far from a bike expert and really only use our bikes for biking less than 12 miles in anywhere to access the hunting locales in non-motorized areas so take this information for what you paid for it.

Biking out from a successful caribou hunt (one BOB trailer loaded with meat and the other with a good chunk of the gear):

Loaded up to head into the bike into an area for archery black bear:

Loaded up coming out with a black bear (gotta love staying at campground sites with picnic tables and such ;) )

Just cause you have a trailer though doesn't mean its any easier a lot of the time :)

Floorguy

WKR
Try a Bob trailer first if you can in the type of terrain you will be riding and with the load that you will be packing. I keep hearing people recommend Bob trailers, but without any details of why they recommend these. I have a Bob trailer and live in the mountainous NW, and I almost never use the Bob for hunting because it is such an inefficient design. Sure, if you plan on only transporting light loads, absolutely need a trailer for single track trails, and those trails are relatively benign as far as ruggedness, then a Bob trailer is the only option besides loading your bike/bike racks down or packing the weight on you back.

I road in 75 lbs several miles up a rugged closed road earlier this week on a $15 yard sale trailer (probably $40 all together when you consider that I had to buy webbing straps for it to make a bottom sling and for new tires/tubes). I took a couple of pictures and will try to get them up for you. I had to cross about 30 blown down logs and a couple of road closure berms while going in and then going back out. I only had to cut two 8-10 inch logs which were waist high. Any log chest high and above I slipped right under, and everything thigh and below I crawled right over. I never once unhooked my bike. This is possible because the trailer had an articulating hitch and the tires are directly under the load. A Bob trailer does not have these features.

The other thing that can not be understated, is that you can push you bike up a steep road while pulling a two wheeled trailer with an articulating hitch with minimal effort. This is because you can cant your bike to the side while pushing and it does not affect the trailer. When the Bob trailer cants to one side while pushing your bike up a road, or also for that matter while you are riding your bike down a difficult/technical road/trail, then you are constantly fighting to keep the Bob trailer upright. It is like the difference between carrying a properly loaded and poorly loaded backpack...not a big deal with light loads, but incredibly inefficient for medium to heavy loads.
We have had exact opposite experiences. I will never use a two wheeled trailer unless it is a road. I had my two wheel trailer tip, drag the axle. In softer earth two tires sank. Meanwhile my buddy was pedaling along pulling his bob. When the trail was overgrown the slim bob trailer was easier to push while my wider 2 wheel trailer was getting hung up on branches.

inupiat1

FNG
Maybe try a porter's rack on the front as well? Similar to what is on my Swiss Military bike.
e052aef554377423c7019cced2195da6.jpg

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
^how is the agreeing with that much weight over the front wheel? With the exception of homeless guys, Not sure I've seen a front end that overloaded before.

Anybody doing the fat tire thing?

I walked into my archery shop the other day and they have two on display. They are electric motor assisted type with racks and such. Other than a smoother ride and floatation on snow or mud it seems like fat tire is a lot of rolling resistance and some extra weight. Is this some hipster fad stuff or does it offer some special powers that are not entirely obvious?

Poser

WKR

I walked into my archery shop the other day and they have two on display. They are electric motor assisted type with racks and such. Other than a smoother ride and floatation on snow or mud it seems like fat tire is a lot of rolling resistance and some extra weight. Is this some hipster fad stuff or does it offer some special powers that are not entirely obvious?

A lot of people are using them as their primary bikes these days and selling their hardtails and full suspension bikes. Until the last couple of years, fat tires were rather clunky, but as they've grown in popularity and more companies are making them, they have improved considerably. They'll never be as nimble, but you can roll through snow, water, sand, mud etc with ease. There is a certain fad aspect to them as they are trendy, but they are definitely here to stay.

Floorguy

WKR

fd5d93878f599d3b6b54f640e4ac9377.jpg

It's my all around bike. Yes there is extra rolling resistance but I can go alot more places. I live in Alaska and ride backcountry in winter for me there isn't really an alternative. If I wanted I could get a 27.5" wheelset for more summer trail riding.

bc126d27ac316461e9f8f57e0458cb8f.jpg

My buddy at the top of mcclaren pass second highest mountain pass in Alaska with his loaded bob wagon.

Last edited:

inupiat1

FNG
^how is the agreeing with that much weight over the front wheel? With the exception of homeless guys, Not sure I've seen a front end that overloaded before.
Well, you wouldn't want to run a slalom course at high speeds with the weight on the front, but it is manageable. I frequently leave on my 12 lb eBike hub and carry 5 gallons of water (41 lbs) but I also weigh 210 lbs so that offsets the weight as well as my bike's weight of 48 lbs. I have panniers and am looking at Wald rear folding baskets as an option to get weight lower and to the rear (since I can't afford the mortar/panzerfaust/rifle rack and baskets made for the bike).

Haulin' colin makes heavy duty racks and trailers if you search them (or cyclefab.net).

inupiat1

FNG
Here is a pic of my bike converted to eBike. I only power the motor when I commute to and from work (10 miles each way). Usually I leave the hub on and ride without battery the rest of the time or I switch out to the other wheel. It is a LEED 500W kit that can be used on almost any bike including fatbikes. This allows you to keep your same bike and convert it. It definitely helps me get up hills much easier/faster and will cruise at 20 mph without pedaling. I can only get it to 25 mph on the flats with pedaling because of my low, low gearing, but people go 30 mph with higher gearing. I will have to try using the set-up hunting, although I've never used a bike on a hunt.
b18ae62185806b6d9398ee5b4892d69a.jpg

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
My ol man build a mount for the front of a standard game cart and mounts to the seat post. We usually ride in on gravel roads and then hike in from there, so the cart doesn't see any offroad use. But for hauling camp in and hauling elk out, it works. Have to load it properly, but I have hauled elk out with it and it works just fine.

OP
Hunter6

Hunter6

WKR
Well, you wouldn't want to run a slalom course at high speeds with the weight on the front, but it is manageable. I frequently leave on my 12 lb eBike hub and carry 5 gallons of water (41 lbs) but I also weigh 210 lbs so that offsets the weight as well as my bike's weight of 48 lbs. I have panniers and am looking at Wald rear folding baskets as an option to get weight lower and to the rear (since I can't afford the mortar/panzerfaust/rifle rack and baskets made for the bike).

Haulin' colin makes heavy duty racks and trailers if you search them (or cyclefab.net).

I just looked at Haulin Collin. Wow that stuff Is expensive. Those trailers cost more than my bike. Nice stuff just on s different level than me. Thanks for all the input.

inupiat1

FNG
I just looked at Haulin Collin. Wow that stuff Is expensive. Those trailers cost more than my bike. Nice stuff just on s different level than me. Thanks for all the input.

I just stopped by their shop/forge. Pretty interesting stuff. A bit out of my price range as well, but the stuff looks quality/tough. They seemed pretty nice, I may have them do some custom work on my forks on my bike. $90/hr on labor for welding.

b.roberts

FNG
I really enjoyed this topic. I was going to try and set my bike up for a trailer. After reading all of these replies, I think I'll just get a rear rack and carry my timberline. I've never hunted with my bike before. The only time I would is for day hunts in the rainy PNW for late buck. Seems like a good way to get a little further in on gated logging roads.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

work765

WKR
Great to see this thread! I've been planing on hunting with my bike this year. I've seen lots of people using the BOB trailer to haul meat. I need to figure out my system

inupiat1

FNG
If you're on a budget, check out the Aosom Solo bike trailer, listed at $69.95. Rated for 88 lbs vs. 80 on BOB trailer.

I think I will try the Wald 582 folding rear basket on my rear rack, looks pretty handy with good storage capacity.

OP
Hunter6

Hunter6

WKR
If you're on a budget, check out the Aosom Solo bike trailer, listed at $69.95. Rated for 88 lbs vs. 80 on BOB trailer.

I think I will try the Wald 582 folding rear basket on my rear rack, looks pretty handy with good storage capacity.

When you get the wald 582 baskets on your bike let me know how they work. Interesting idea if they can handle some weight and abuse.