Getting my bike cycle hunting ready.

Hunter6

WKR
Getting my bicycle hunting ready.

Well this weekend I found my self at the local bike shop and they were running a sale. so naturally I walked out with a new bike. It's a Orbea MX 40 29er.

My question is what do you guys add to your bikes for hunting season. To help carry equipment and hopefully meat. I have been looking a rear racks and most appear to be cheaply made and only hold less than 40lbs. Not what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

colersu22

WKR
I have a buddy that used a kid carrier behind the bike and a quad style gun rack on the handle bars for his bow.

Randle

WKR
You might check out Born and raised outdoors videos they do this type of hunting , I have done some but it was more rifle biking then hunting. My rifle was in my Kifaru gunbearer and pack was on my back. not the best way but it worked Ok.

Floorguy

WKR
The blackburn outpost rear rack is rated to carry up to 55lbs MSRP is $125. It uses Easton's scandium, I like most of the things about it and will most likely be picking one up sometime soon.

I would recommend a trailer as well. I have used a kid carrier before and for single track or heavily rutted 4 wheeler trails the really isnt anything worse to use. If its flat (smooth) trail or dirt road the kid carrier works just fine. Make sure it doesn't have a spring to soften the ride for the kid carrier at the mounting point. My cycling cadence and the trailer were out of wacky and the power part of my cadence coincided with the slack it smoked my legs.

My buddy runs a BOB wagon. He just pulled it 137 miles across the Denali highway with me a couple weeks ago tracking is great with it. Another option is the wheelie basically a third wheel with a rack on top and panniers on both sides.

I can't run a seatpost mount trailer and they don't play nice with racks as far as I know.

My buddy and I have both tried the atv handlebar mounts and they work but they throw steering off a lot. We switched to backpack carriers and then moved to the cogburn. Some people like the montana scabbard however we couldn't get it rigid enough to feel comfortable carrying a bow or rifle. The cogburn is solid.

OP
Hunter6

Hunter6

WKR
Thanks for the ideas. I will be watching Craig's list for use kid carts for sure.

Randle. Thanks for the idea about born and raised will defentaly have to look up some of their videos.

Floorguy thanks for all the ideas. I will look into cogburns stuff for sure. Have you ever heard of the company Jandd. They make a rack rated to 75lbs and cost around $100. Really looking at that for cost and weight.

Thanks guys this is what I need I know more of you use your bikes at some part of the hunting process. Keep the ideas coming.

hodgeman

WKR
I've used a BoB trailer quite a bit... tracks far better than a 2 wheeled trailer (aka Kid carrier) and is worth the money if you're riding anything more serious than pavement. I've hauled about 90 lbs on mine- takes some getting used to and you will want to walk up and down serious hills with that much weight. A heavy trailer will want to push you through corners... not good on dirt and gravel.

A backpack riflr carrier works ok but I like mounting an ATV gun case on the trailer. I tried the ATV mounts on the handlebars and it felt like it would catch on everything. I will likely upgrade to a Cogburn in the future.

Floorguy

WKR
I have only ever looked at JandD's softgoods. Their prices on the soft goods is decent but there are other much better options. In looking at the pics of the rack I don't see why it is rated for as much weight as it is.

Old Man Mountain Pioneer is another one to look at. They were and are the standard for expedition winter fatbiking. They claim 70lb and I have no reason to doubt their claim.

I am currently using the Ibera pakrak touring plus+ it's rated to 55lbs and I haven't gotten close to that weight yet.

OP
Hunter6

Hunter6

WKR
So what's the opinion on rear racks and trailers. Is it one or the other. Do y'all use them together to get your stuff out.

Also the bob trailer looks really nice but alittle spendy for me this year. How would a rear rack do holding a bag of boned out meat.

The type of hunting I usually do is a base camp style. Where I will ride my bike 2-4 miles in and then start to hike and hunt. So getting meat out is more important than getting camp in.

Also I'm visual so if there are any pictures of your bikes loaded I would appreciate that also.

There is a company out there that makes a rear rack system that extends the rear axel make the bike longer. You then hang panners off each side. Problem with a rear rack is the bike will do a wheelie with weight on it even up mild grades. Ive seen a buddy get 3/4 of a cow out with the rear I described and meat lashed on eighter side of his fork. It was impressive. Good brakes, heavy duty tubes and good burly downhill style tires are a must for that much weight

Mike7

WKR
Hunter6, I would not recommend the Bob Trailer for what you seem to be talking about. The only thing that I have found it to be decent for is riding easy single track trails (preferrably mostly flat and downhill) with a light camp in it (e.g. 40 lbs or less). It is not a good meat hauler at all in my opinion. It is not good for crossing downed logs on the road. It is no more valuable than a two wheeled trailer for getting down alder choked roads. But if you or a family member plans to use it for runs to the store, it is nice when riding on streets in traffic, because you can ride close to the curb without one of your trailer wheels hitting the curb.

If you are going to be riding camp in, and meat out, on closed roads, then a two wheeled trailer is far better. You can get a cheap kids trailer at yard sales and strip it down to the frame. It is cheap and easy to then throw some webbing straps on the frame for a gear sling/support. Then you can use military duffles, plastic totes, or just your backpack to stow gear in (bring something to cover your backpack so it doesn't get all muddy and wet). The kids trailers have a low center of gravity but are not rated for much weight...although they will typically go well above their ratings if you go slow and take your time.

If you make your own trailer, I would recommend a seatpost hitch. The hitch can be shaped to work with a rear rack in place. If you are going out on your bike with meat and not using a trailer, in addition to loading the rear rack, you can hang meat over both sides of the bicycle top tube. Obviously if you do this, you won't be pedaling your bike...but also you won't be carrying all of that weight on your back.

Finally, if you ride down brushy, bumpy roads and trails like I do, I have not found anything better than a Kifaru gun bearer for carrying a rifle or shotgun. You and the bike's suspension are the shock absorber for the rifle and scope...and it is simple to ride at full speed under hanging logs, over small logs in the road, and through brush with your rifle in the gunbearer. I have tried the other ways to carry a rifle on a bicycle, and they are not as good. As far as a bow goes, nothing seems to be perfect. I have put it in a hard case on the trailer, and this is okay if you have the space and don't mind not having quick access to the bow. I have also carried it on my pack in a Kifaru Grab-it. This works okay, but if it is really brushy, I lower the Grab-it so that the bow hangs down below my bicycle seat on the bottom, and does not extend above my head on top.

Readypro1

FNG
bike trailer

So what's the opinion on rear racks and trailers. Is it one or the other. Do y'all use them together to get your stuff out.

Also the bob trailer looks really nice but alittle spendy for me this year. How would a rear rack do holding a bag of boned out meat.

The type of hunting I usually do is a base camp style. Where I will ride my bike 2-4 miles in and then start to hike and hunt. So getting meat out is more important than getting camp in.

Also I'm visual so if there are any pictures of your bikes loaded I would appreciate that also.

Here is my setup. Specialized 29er disc. I like the trailer for the pure reason if you do get something down you have a way to get it out much quicker and the fact with a tote i can put my pack and bow or camp in there also meat or gear will stay clean. If you dont have to worry about hauling meat the old man racks or tubus racks are the ticket.

20160604_061822_resized_1.jpg20160501_163216_resized_1.jpg20160326_140301_resized_2.jpg

slvrslngr

WKR
I've got a BOB Ibex and hauled it over a 1000km off road tour, plus training rides. Pros, it trails wonderfully, can handle more weight than my legs can, and it detaches from the bike in a snap. Cons, sucks when you come across downed trees, kind of a pain to park your bike, can make low speed handling a bit dicey. Overall, the pros outweigh the cons for off roading. It's built for handling a load and the only mechanical issue was the fender breaking. Panniers are great on the road but in the dirt, trailers rule and the Ibex is the king. Whatever you decide, be sure to do some training rides so you can figure out the best way to load your system and how the bike will handle the extra load. Also, make sure your wheels are trued and tensioned properly before loading the bike and be sure to have a couple extra spokes. Oh yeah, be sure to retorque the disc rotor bolts.

OP
Hunter6

Hunter6

WKR
Thanks guys. Readypro I had seen your trailers on ifish and Craig's list. Are you still selling them. Either way not sure if I have the funds for one this year.

For this year I'm thinking of putting a rack on and if something goes down just loading the bike down and walking it out. Unless I run across a trailer for a killer deal. Still not sure. My problem is there are too many options.

Any other brands of equipment people are using with success.

gmajor

WKR
I put a LOT of miles on BOB trailers and jandd products years ago. All on dirt in the west.

I really think for a hunting bike, a 29er with a Bob is hard to beat.

Readypro1

FNG
I built 5 of them this spring 2 were for specific people as camp trailers the other 3 I built for something to pacify my ocd to stay busy

DaveC

WKR
Get a steel rack from Tubus or Old Man Mountain. You can strap half a boned out deer up top, and carry the rest in your pack. Your ass will get sore faster, but it will work fine.

The Cogburn weapon holder is pretty slick.