Most common things people pack they dont need??

I'm 51 and I don't think I've taken a pre-dawn crap in my life.

Frozen Bum wipes are NO FUN, CANT get em out of the package.

A good drop working up is usually the main thing that gets me out of bed early, especially after a mt house meal (mt duce) the evening before.

Big Antler getter,

"even had a guy want me to pack 2 55 gallon drums 22 miles back so he could bury them and stash a bunch of his gear at my campsite for when he back packed in the next year..."

Thats a good idea! How much do you charge for that?!

Who are these people?

Seriously though, I often wonder how many of us could get away with less tent.
Definitely less food. But I never dare. I always end up packing dehydrated meals back out.

These guys were more local, they wanted to be able to go up in summer as well and scout but I wouldn't allow it 1. It was at my permitted camp so I have to follow the rules to a T and if someone else does something they aren't supposed to I have to report them otherwise I get points against me 2. Barrels are some of the hardest things to pack I had done it for another outfitter I worked for. Guys wanted the same thing and boss had me do it was a cash deal so they couldn't come back and say we did it. Looking back I was young and dumb cause I coulda gotten in deep trouble myself for guys doing that type of stuff. I was 18 at the time and packed those barrels 12 miles in, found out the guys couldn't even dig deep enough to get them buried(funny hit to many rocks in the Rocky Mountains) and ended up packing them out on their backs when the forest service came in a few days later and found half buried barrels at their camp. They got off with they were using it as bear containers but they couldn't leave them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
I packed in a Ruger 357 and 12 rounds of ammo once. It was really nice to have the extra weight for balance. Ugh......

I took a buddy on a wilderness canoe trip. He was a newb.

He was having trouble getting things packed with good positioning and weight balance. So I explained what I was doing and why as I packed the pack he was carrying. He simply abdicated the responsibility for the rest of the trip and had me tend to the duty.

He packed a fifteen pound rock for the next ten days.

I gave it to him at the end of the trip with pictures of the rock prominently displayed in each of our campsites.

Dinger

WKR
I gave it to him at the end of the trip with pictures of the rock prominently displayed in each of our campsites.

This is the way to do it.....should be more of it! Great stuff and very funny.

mtnkid85

WKR
Clothes.

The only extra clothes I pack are socks. On a 7 day trip Ill pack three pairs of socks, one of which only gets worn to sleep in. Then Ill swap between the other two pairs to wear during the day. Even just a simple wash in the river helps keep them fresh.

Oh and always go for liquor over beer.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I stripped down my first aid to pain meds, glue, moleskin, a few band aid's, alcohol wipes which double as fire starter. There is always duct tape and t.p. to make bandages.

I put my swiss army knife back in since it has a good edge to strike a ferro rod, scissors ( tenacious tape recommends rounding edges) a small saw if I need one.

Clothes were always over done with me. This year I may be too minimal.

Deodorant and dental hygiene stuff is where I see many go overboard. A small bottle of mouth wash is fine for a few days, or a couple wisk toothbrushes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
A wallet! For emergencies your ID, health insurance card and emergency contact/medical info card is fine. Your debit card maybe but all those reward cards and expired coupons don't even belong in the truck let alone with you.

Decided to take my sidearm but no spare magazine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think I'd put a hand warmer in with them before dealing with that. I've never had them freeze, but I mainly hunt the archery season these days. But I have December deer hunt this year, I guess I'll see.

ya this was 2014 winter when we got to near zero here in the willamette valley. I went out hunting late season in Dec, it was 6-10" of fresh snow on the ground 9 degrees, left my badlands monster pack in the rig overnight not knowing I had no tp in the pack. Coffee hits at about 9:30 when I was tracking deen in the freshies, thinking "oh not now, ok well I got this,, no problem I have the wet wipes" well they were like a friggin brick. could not get them out w/o tearing them up.. Soooo whats a dude to do,,, yuppers, I used snow balls. Good ole snowball tp, was the first and LAST time I will ever do that.

Greg Beck

WKR
I've always been a just in case guy. But every year I take less and less. Clothes, food, knives, and to much in my first aid kit.

Muttly

WKR
UUUGH.... An 8 lb tent and an extra 15 lbs of crap on top of that..
Simple plan, 3 days, 13 miles, into, over, and around some SE high country. Got the fever and stuffed the packs to the gills. Used the over heavy and under sized tent the first night,. Halfway into the second day, my new mantra was "C'mon, cheeseburger.." Second night, the 1 lb tarp worked just fine.
I see an SO Cimarron in my not too distant future..