Pack Stock For The Dedicated Mule Deer Hunter

I wanted to start a thread to discuss pack stock options and considerations for the dedicated mule deer hunter. I hope to get some good informative discussions going on regarding the pros and cons of different stock animals based on experience and it would be great to hear why others have picked their animal of choice. I explicitly stated for the “dedicated” mule deer hunter because I think there are some unique considerations when someone is primarily pursuing that species and more specifically hunting big mature bucks that differ from hunting elk for example, although some of those apply depending on where and how you hunt.

This topic is something I have been chewing on for quite some time as I try to figure out what works best for me and my hunting style as it has evolved over the years. Hearing Robby talk about his experiences and relationship with his horses on the Rokcast the other day really spoke to me and where I am at in my journey as a hunter and with pack animals right now, so I felt motivated to bring it up.

This could be a whole blog post on its own, but I’ll attempt to give a brief synopsis of my background, experience and developing opinions on pack stock and then hopefully hear yours as well and we can continue the discussion in the thread. I currently own 3 pack goats. It started largely out of necessity and my wife's lack of enthusiasm with me taking our horses (yes we also own 4.5 horses, the .5 is our kids mini horse :LOL:) into the back country alone. I'm not sure if it was her lack of confidence in my ability, awareness of my level of risk acceptance or some combination of the two likely but here I am now 4 years into the experiment and the jury is still out. About the time my wife and I got serious about packing with horses we began to have kids and my hunts increasingly became solo adventures, goats made sense as a safer option and the introductory cost was relatively low as we already had pasture etc. That brings me to my thoughts on the benefits and limitations of goats as a pack animal. Benefits; goats can quite literally go just about anywhere. I have been genuinely impressed with the places my goats follow me and their ability to navigate obstacles, this can be a big advantage for the mule deer hunter. This is somewhat related but you don't have to trailer them although some do, I haul mine in the back of my pickup allowing me to get places I cant/wont pull my horse trailer. Second they require very little to no feed or water depending on the time of year, their favorite browse is similar to that of mule deer so you can camp with the deer and water availability is less limiting. Disadvantages; I think the most obvious is they don't pack as much as other pack animals, that said pound for pound they are impressive. The approach I took can be summed up as "well that's 30 pounds that's not on my back", we can get into specifics in discussion but even just a couple of goats is the difference between packing a buck and camp out in one relatively easy trip or not with typical light backpacking gear. Now here is the big one that I seldom hear discussed in the pack goat community and I didn't think through initially; goats don't reach full packing age until about 3-4 depending on who you ask, my understanding is you can expect to pack them until about 8 so that's roughly 4 years of service life with equal time to get them to that point. Compare that to a horse or mule that takes roughly the same time to start and the years of service life you will get. This means to keep a string you continually have to be raising up and comers to keep them in rotation so instead of owning 3 goats I need to own 6 at least at some point to keep my string going. Another significant consideration is goats shouldn't be left alone, as an avid archery hunter that often hunts solo this is a bit of an issue that I haven't quite come to terms with. So these among other reasons are largely why I have come to the conclusion, at least for my personal needs the sweet spot for goats is on rifle backpack hunts particularly in rugged terrain.

As I mentioned earlier I also own horses and as funny as it is my wife and I have recently come full circle on the whole horse packing thing and have sense acquired a couple of really good ones that show allot of promise. She has come around to the idea of me packing by myself and we both have a desire to do it as a family as our kids get older. Which brings me to where I am at now and largely what motivated this post; 4 years into my pack goat experiment not ready to hang it up but with a renewed interest in packing with horses knowing I don't realistically have the time to dedicate that they both deserve and needing to make some tough life decisions. If you made it this far I appreciate it and hope to hear your perspective and experience, I am curious what others have found. What are some considerations with horses when hunting mule deer? is being limited by terrain and trails been an issue for you or water? Same for those who have used goats, to be honest I haven't spoken with allot of dedicated hunters that utilize pack goats outside of a select few. Or heck even the lama guys out there lets hear it!

20231029_125700.jpg
My best goat Koda, he was a mutt but I believe Toggenberg/Alpine cross of some sort.

wyodan

WKR
I have gone through llamas, donkeys, and now I have mules. If I am only thinking of mule deer hunting, I am getting 3 good llamas. But since I am going to the mountains every weekend all year, I have picked up a couple of mules. They might limit me on some of my hunting, but they are traditional and significantly more fun to be around.

I believe the 3 pack to be the optimum number of animals for solo adventures, no matter the species.

I had pack goats for 4 years. They were impressive, but with several limitations. Not be able to leave them at camp being the biggest. Depth of water a loaded goat can cross is something nobody talks about...its not very much. I currently have a string of 5 llamas and they're better suited for a backcountry hunter. Llamas are silent and super easy to control on trail. Thanks for starting this thread I'm excited to read along!

I’m a mule man myself and for a number of reasons, they are the only stock I will own.

I think they are much safer, they just don’t like to get themselves in a bind or a bad spot… they just don’t slip and fall like horses, and that’s usually where serious injuries happen with equines. When a mule does get in-trouble they usually stand there, trying to reason how to get out of it, they have an amazing ability for self preservation. This is a big reason why they are known as “stubborn”and no doubt can be a pain in the ass to deal with at times. Mules just aren’t getting forced into doing something that they think is stupid.

Horses, (in general) when in a bad spot, usually panick, or try over powering themselves out of it in my experience. I’ve had horses slip and fall, had them land on me, and have seen many others just completely wig out at the worst possible time for no apparent reason. And I’ve spent waaaay more time on a mule, it’s not even close.

Ive seen some funny run-aways on mules, and I've seen them be a real pain in the ass 🤣 but I’ve never feared for my life or a serious injury like I have riding horses.

I’ve also never met anyone that has been seriously injured on a mule. I know of a lot of deaths and serious injuries caused from horses. There is no doubt less people riding them, but every old horse backcountry horse guy has a story about getting hurt in some matter. I know guys that have spent a long ass time riding mules in some wild places that have had great luck.

I will say there are some fantastic horses and probably more shitty mules 🤣 but I’ll take a kick ass mule over a great horse any day.

Mules are easier to own and outlive/work every other stock animal by years. Trips to a vet are rare with mules. Many of them, really don’t need shoes, just a trim a few times a year. They are just resilient as all hell. I’ve met outfitters and known a few other serious mule skinners still riding the backcountry on 30 year old mules. Thats not happening with a horse.

Ive never been around goats or llamas, until one is big enough for me to ride I have no interest. 😂

OP
Eastman528
I have gone through llamas, donkeys, and now I have mules. If I am only thinking of mule deer hunting, I am getting 3 good llamas. But since I am going to the mountains every weekend all year, I have picked up a couple of mules. They might limit me on some of my hunting, but they are traditional and significantly more fun to be around.

I believe the 3 pack to be the optimum number of animals for solo adventures, no matter the species.
I guess I left out pack Burro's/donkeys haha. Do you have riding mules or do you lead them? Good point I'd agree makes sense.That's where I landed at with my goats 4 was just enough more of a hassle and it didn't help I had one that was an asshole. I haven't gotten to really test it out with horses/mules but would think a guy would either want 3 or more or just one haven't done it a tone but I could see leading 2 loaded down causing problems but maybe guys do it?

OP
Eastman528
I had pack goats for 4 years. They were impressive, but with several limitations. Not be able to leave them at camp being the biggest. Depth of water a loaded goat can cross is something nobody talks about...its not very much. I currently have a string of 5 llamas and they're better suited for a backcountry hunter. Llamas are silent and super easy to control on trail. Thanks for starting this thread I'm excited to read along!
Yes, it's a big problem as a solo hunter especially. That's interesting and I honestly hadn't thought about it allot I have trained mine and cross water plenty but ya never anything deep enough to be an issue or there has been crossings. Interesting points about the Lamas to be honest I haven't considered them much mostly cuz I have the horses in my mind I figured if I am gonna have to trailer something might as well be them. I can see how they would maybe be a sweet spot between the two though and for allot of people probably be better I'd like to check em out someday just to have experience. How is their demenior I always heard they don't have much personality which depending how you look at it could be good ha. You bet though, I'm just here trying to learn and soak up as much info as I can too!

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
Mules. No question. A lot of reasons listed above so i wont be redundant, but in general, they are good, hearty, tough animals that like a job. And, a good string of mules with a good stockman will go just about anywhere any other animal will go and do it with ease.

They can be harder to gain trust from, but once you truly have, theyll do anything for you.

Hardtak

FNG
Horses have to be a 365 all year round passion or they will ruin your hunt. If you are a hunter first don't use horses to hunt. If you are a horsemen first then they are the best IMO. They are the worst for most of the logical reasons stated by the mule folks.

OP
Eastman528
I’m a mule man myself and for a number of reasons, they are the only stock I will own.

I think they are much safer, they just don’t like to get themselves in a bind or a bad spot… they just don’t slip and fall like horses, and that’s usually where serious injuries happen with equines. When a mule does get in-trouble they usually stand there, trying to reason how to get out of it, they have an amazing ability for self preservation. This is a big reason why they are known as “stubborn”and no doubt can be a pain in the ass to deal with at times. Mules just aren’t getting forced into doing something that they think is stupid.

Horses, (in general) when in a bad spot, usually panick, or try over powering themselves out of it in my experience. I’ve had horses slip and fall, had them land on me, and have seen many others just completely wig out at the worst possible time for no apparent reason. And I’ve spent waaaay more time on a mule, it’s not even close.

Ive seen some funny run-aways on mules, and I've seen them be a real pain in the ass 🤣 but I’ve never feared for my life or a serious injury like I have riding horses.

I’ve also never met anyone that has been seriously injured on a mule. I know of a lot of deaths and serious injuries caused from horses. There is no doubt less people riding them, but every old horse backcountry horse guy has a story about getting hurt in some matter. I know guys that have spent a long ass time riding mules in some wild places that have had great luck.

I will say there are some fantastic horses and probably more shitty mules 🤣 but I’ll take a kick ass mule over a great horse any day.

Mules are easier to own and outlive/work every other stock animal by years. Trips to a vet are rare with mules. Many of them, really don’t need shoes, just a trim a few times a year. They are just resilient as all hell. I’ve met outfitters and known a few other serious mule skinners still riding the backcountry on 30 year old mules. Thats not happening with a horse.

Ive never been around goats or llamas, until one is big enough for me to ride I have no interest. 😂
Really appreciate you sharing your experience and insight Travis! You highlighted allot of really good points and it doesn't surprise me that its very consistent with allot of what I have heard from anyone having experience with stock in the mountains and particularly a good riding mule. It seems to be a pretty common theme those who have wont throw a leg over anything else.

Your point about safety isn't something I have heard spoken to that well. Admittedly with my experience level and aspirations its probably something I should take more seriously, especially where I plan to do allot of my riding/hunting alone.

I didn't delve much into my background/experience with horses in my original post. Although my experience at least in the mountains on stock is pretty limited both my wife and I's family's spent allot of time on horseback in the mountains when they were younger. I have heard enough of their experiences that combined with the few I have I can definitely appreciate and recognize what you are saying.

I can attest to the maintenance aspect or the higher maintenance/care with horses at least. I get frustrated as we take very good care of our animals, which maybe has something to do with it but I told my wife the other day I am just gonna have to come to terms that with horses its always gonna be something with at least one of them. I definitely have concerns that once you start using them harder in the mountains that might only get worse. Not having to put shoes on them at least part of the time would be huge, I am gonna have to pick up a side hustle to keep shoes on our horses!

I am curious in your experience how mule's tend to behave as far as herd dynamic, do they tend to do better alone or being separated from the rest of the string than maybe a typical horse? I know it definitely seems less common that people ride a single horse out. I know there are allot of factors and a horse can be worked with in training to not be herd sour but it seems to me the temperament of Mules might just be better suited.
Also wondered if the whole self preservation thing has ever truly been an issue for you cuz I have heard that allot? I would assume that with a well trained mule they would do anything you asked of them up and to getting themselves into trouble which is obviously a really good thing.

I have no doubt that the characteristics of a really good mule and the mind is going to win apples to apples over a horse like you are speaking to in those situations we might find ourselves in as mule deer hunters. I do think its rare that people put the time and effort into horses that is required or any stock for that matter and just from my observations I believe a horse with the right mind to become a truly great mountain horse is probably more rare than a mule. Even still you can probably have the best horse and tons of experience and like you said sooner or later something will happen if you do it long enough.

Man you got my wheels turning now which is awesome!

I definitely feel ya there, I think I can quite easily unload and saddle our horses in the time it takes me to wrangle 3 of my goats, you put up with allot of B.S with goats that I would never put up with horses or mules and then you cant even hop on and ride haha. I will say the best part about owning goats is probably the looks people give you 😅

OP
Eastman528
Mules. No question. A lot of reasons listed above so i wont be redundant, but in general, they are good, hearty, tough animals that like a job. And, a good string of mules with a good stockman will go just about anywhere any other animal will go and do it with ease.

They can be harder to gain trust from, but once you truly have, theyll do anything for you.
Glad you mentioned that about gaining trust, It seems maybe it would be even more critical than with horses to start them young and spend allot of one on one time with them and be involved in the training process rather than just purchasing one from someone else.

OP
Eastman528
Horses have to be a 365 all year round passion or they will ruin your hunt. If you are a hunter first don't use horses to hunt. If you are a horsemen first then they are the best IMO. They are the worst for most of the logical reasons stated by the mule folks.
I couldn't agree more. If I am being honest this is probably the single biggest factor that has prevented me from going all in on horses or mules for that matter. I think for this reason and many others being mentioned they probably aren't the answer for the majority of hunters. It is 100% a lifestyle as cliché as that sounds.

I'll go as far as to say I think this could be applied with owning any pack animals at least to some extent. Its a bigger commitment than most realize and I myself am guilty of being overly optimistic about my ability to put in the time. In my opinion you have to get something more out of the experience than purely the utilitarian aspect if you are going to own pack animals.

Appreciate your input good perspective!

OP
Eastman528
For mule deer I would go with llamas. I use horses because they are more versatile for my uses, Ive used mules for packers, Id never take a mule over a horse as a rider
I can definitely see why Llamas would have some advantages and purely from a practicality stand point might be the best option for allot of mule deer hunters. Having 0 actual experience with them this is purely my observations; Llamas seem to lack personality and probably are less complicated if you don't mind leading them down the trail. Goats are the exact opposite they all have their own personalities which can be real annoying at times and horses and mules have their quirks that make them more complicated I guess. I am in the same boat I am open minded about Llamas but already own horses and use them outside of hunting so makes less sense for me.

bmart2622

WKR
Big advantages to llamas is if someone isnt horse savvy or isnt comfortable riding, llamas take rhe riding aspect out of it and are smaller and more manageable on the ground than a horse. Another huge advantage to llamas is that the daily maintenance/care seems to be significantly less and not having your campsite be predicated by proximity to water would open up some options especially talking mule deer hunting in higher country where water can get scarce

If I were starting raw, I would go llamas. If I already had horses, I would go horses. Especially if you are already working with the ones you have. I suspect (I don't know) that most of the problems with "bad horses" are just not enough time with them. Get them lots of time and experience and all of that stuff becomes second nature. I think this goes with any pack animal... or dog... or hunter, probably.

Why llamas? They are much easier to use and much safer. Travis makes a good case for mules being safer, but you can double down on all of those points with llamas because you don't ride them, they have soft feet (being kicked by them is about as bad as when my dog kicks me), and they also have solid self-preservation instincts. Their tack is generally pretty self explanatory and developed for people with no stock experience. Training them wasn't particularly hard. My basic philosophy was 1% a day for 100 days.

For feed, they eat about what deer do as well, and they eat way less than a horse (5 pounds a day vs. 30). I literally just put a 15' lead on them, tie them to a bag of rocks, and offer them a bucket of water every day or two. That's all. I give them grain at home if I feel like I like them that day. They like grain as well, but not enough to treat me like I matter them in any way, which I guess is fine. Just make sure you're not giving them feed that is high in copper.

They certainly have their drawbacks, but they do leave me plenty of time to be hunting while I'm hunting, which was my priority. And they carry stuff that I otherwise would, so that counts for something.

Hardtak

FNG
With all the drawbacks of a horse I wouldn't be out without mine. They make the experience for me.

Also the majority of posts are people worried about other critters and being lonely. Everyone acts tough until they hear a cougar chirp at night. I put my tent as close to my horses as possible and my one gelding snorts at any smell of predator. I also never get lonely when on my horse or tending to them.

Most horse wrecks hunting is lack of experience. You can't expect yourself or horse to perform well if you do it once a year. Horse and human have to be mountain riders to have the most success. One must also consider keeping or having your horses in shape. You can't expect them to get in higher mule country if they are used to prairie riding. Combine that with rivers, rocks, ice, climbing, narrow trails, scree and spooking at wildlife you want a solid horse you know you work well with and trust and he of you

Last edited:

Bachto

WKR
I would not say I’m a dedicated mule deer hunter but they are my favorite deer to hunt and it is primarily what I do. I took my goats on a backcountry hunt this last November, I was solo. We had one water crossing that was about a foot deep and they did fine but yes they would be limited in anything much deeper but most places I hunt this isn’t a worry.
I also had my goats with me when I killed this buck of course. The buck saw them and was staring at them trying to figure out what they were and then he was dead lol. I was able to load a boned out mule deer and almost all of camp on 4 goats.
If I was to do it over I don’t think I would do horses I like being able to take the goats literally anywhere. I have rented llamas before and would look at those pretty heavy. besides having to take my goats everywhere and a few small rodeos (they can’t seem to figure out how a switchback works lol) I like my goats a lot.
IMG_3052.jpeg
IMG_3077.jpeg