Talk me out of this knife

KClark

WKR
I won't try to talk you out of it, I love my serrated edge Cutco. Seems to stay sharp for more animals than any other knife I have and like you mentioned, it fits good in the hand. In the off season send it back to Cutco with $6 and it's back in a week and half razor sharp.

Stid2677

WKR
Great blade,, I like the orange, easier to find in the dark.

IMGP3222.jpg

Dobermann

WKR
Well ... it is only 440A stainless. Lots of other better steels around nowadays ...

Still, there was a time when that was almost all there was, and it worked plenty good!

Credit to Steve (Stid) and a couple other guys who turned me on to the Cutco DD knife. I have the orange handle and it's just about my perfect knife for taking apart large game. The only thing it doesn't do very well is making the initial cuts through hide and hair to open up for skinning. The serrations grab hair more than a conventional blade. I use a different small knife or even a razor-knife for that work. It's simply amazing how much the serrations focus the pressure and cut through tough sinew, ligaments, tendons and of course muscle. When skinning, every 'drag' or movement of the serrated blade seems to part hide from carcass with much greater effectiveness than even the sharpest conventional blade.

Cutco will sharpen your knife at no cost other than shipping and it's the way to roll. I ditched the leather sheath and sent my knife to Armadillo Sheath in Texas to have a custom kydex sheath made. All in all....this is one serious tool and I can't imagine leaving it behind.

Gutpile

Lil-Rokslider
I have one and I really love the feel of the handle and the orange color is great for when you set it down in the weeds. it's mainly used for quartering and boning I tend to use the Havalon or my Buck folder for initial field dressing.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
man, I would be tempted to up my budget a bit and get a Bark River or something similiar. $100 for a 440 ss blade and molded handle seems a bit high to me. But thats me, I have 2 Bark Rivers and love them.

Stid2677

WKR
I have broken down moose with just a Havalon, but having a nice strong blade with a good grip sure is nice and makes a hard job just a bit easier.

P9050458_zpsdc26efc7.jpg

P9050457_zps8fc717f5.jpg

man, I would be tempted to up my budget a bit and get a Bark River or something similiar. $100 for a 440 ss blade and molded handle seems a bit high to me. But thats me, I have 2 Bark Rivers and love them.

I hear you. I would respond by saying the molded handle makes this knife superbly comfortable in the hand for multiple-hour butchering projects. It's not a pretty grip, but none of my more expensive knives would be as good...hour after hour in blood...as this grip. As for the steel, 440SS is nothing special I agree. What is special on this blade are the serrations which enhance cutting ease in almost every aspect of big game butchering. Without the Cutco serrations I might or might not buy the plain edge. I still really love the big orange tacky grip in my wet hand. In the end, the Cutco is a tool for a job and they pretty much designed it for utilitarian purpose.

I think the mora is a better deal and at that price I would buy a kestrel. I'm not talking you out of that knife though. I'm really just fighting my own knife addiction.

I have a hard time buying any knife that I can't field sharpen if need be... Cutco makes decent knives - but I feel they are too high of priced for the product. Buck, Mora, Gerber etc, all have equivalent knives for half the price...

Just my .02$