Your favorite hunting knife?

Byrdman

FNG
I have an old buck folding knife that was my grandpas. I love taking a piece of what he loved to do with me out hunting. It was the one thing he truly loved doing.

Dixie

FNG
Any openings for a new hunting partner?

Looking very good!
No... and thanks.
Last few years I give away the ones I use and move on to try something else. These are my favorite styles after several years of trying different ones.

I have a lot of great knives for all different purposes even a couple customs but if I could only take one it would be my buck alpha 279 folder. No longer made. I have three of their Alphas and one has the gut hook. But if I had to pick just one it would be the 279 Without the hook. Sharpens easy. They no longer produce the model. I guess at least one of these is 25 years old. Holding up good.

49ereric

WKR
I have a lot of great knives for all different purposes even a couple customs but if I could only take one it would be my buck alpha 279 folder. No longer made. I have three of their Alphas and one has the gut hook. But if I had to pick just one it would be the 279 Without the hook. Sharpens easy. They no longer produce the model. I guess at least one of these is 25 years old. Holding up good.
I have a buck 277 ats-34 and works very for deer and holds an edge well.

I have a buck 277 ats-34 and works very for deer and holds an edge well.
My 3 are 277 wood, 278 guthook and 279 plain drop point. Never used the 277 other than cutting fishing leader material in my den. It was a Budweiser promotional item I won at a Turkey federation banquet back in 2003/4???

cwitt

FNG
One I rarely, if ever, see mentioned is White River Knives. Which is surprising as they are the ones who actually make the knives for Argali which are popular on here. The White River Hunter in S35 (and I believe soon to be in Magnacut) is one of the most comfortable and well shaped do-it all hunting knives I’ve ever used.

Like others have mentioned, a Havalon is a must. More specifically, the Piranta-Stag model. I’ve found a lot of the Havalon models to be a little small feeling in the hand but the Stag has a great size and texture in the handle while still being very light.

I carry the outdoor edge replaceable blades is my main go to, never had any issues. I also carry havalon piranta which is great for the tight and intricate details. Around the skull if I am taking the cape off the havalon does great

One I rarely, if ever, see mentioned is White River Knives. Which is surprising as they are the ones who actually make the knives for Argali which are popular on here. The White River Hunter in S35 (and I believe soon to be in Magnacut) is one of the most comfortable and well shaped do-it all hunting knives I’ve ever used.

Like others have mentioned, a Havalon is a must. More specifically, the Piranta-Stag model. I’ve found a lot of the Havalon models to be a little small feeling in the hand but the Stag has a great size and texture in the handle while still being very light.
Do you happen to know when they're coming out with their Hunter in Magnacut?

crowlja

FNG
I carry two knives.

I have this replaceable blade tyto which I really use for about 90% of my field dressing. The only think I don't use it for is the cut at the base of the neck to pop the head off. I can typically do a full elk with a single bade if I'm paying attention to what I'm doing. I do however carry at least 6 blades. Blades are cheap and light, and on my first elk with the Havalon I did go through 5 blades. Probably user error...but since swapping to this tyto, I haven't gone through blades nearly as much. The Tyto also has a longer handle and is way more comfortable in my hands over the Havalon.

The second blade is the Benchmade Steep Country.

I fully believe that anytime going into the backcountry you should have a fixed blade. This knife has a 3.5" blade which is just what I'm looking for when weight is also a concern. The handle material is very grippy and I can use this knife for a long time without it giving me any Hotspot.

If I were to only take 1, it would likely be the Benchmade.

Randy Newberg has 2 knifes he released with Gerber, a folder and a "backcountryset". I received both of the randy Newberg knives for Christmas a few years back and I like them in concert, but have yet to take it into the field and use them on game. Also, I'd prefer a fixed blade if I were to only carry 1.

I've also used the Esse Izula. Although not a hunting knife, this is my EDC blade. I quarted a full deer with this knife no issue. Don't like the coating they put on this knife for field dressing, but it worked (just took longer to clean). I also have a paracord wrap on mind and basically had to re wrap my handle after that deer. But I think this would be a great budget option.
This knife take a bit more to sharpen, but I feel like I could have done a full elk without sharpening IF I had too. But keep it sharp and touch it up in-between cuts and you'll be fine.

So many knives on the market...and I love knives and have many including some of these high end knives (like the MKC Speed Goat), but you don't need a high end knife. To get the job done.