What do you listen to?

Gobbler36

WKR
No music hardly at all for me, when I do I go old school and turn on the radio in the car.... then when the ads annoy me after 5 mins I'm back to blowing my elk calls or listening to information on a podcast. Just birds chirping and wind blowing for me when I'm in the woods though, when packing out the mind has a way of tuning out exhaustion I always start thinking about the weirdest things.

SWOHTR

WKR
Silence and situational awareness are two commodities lacking today. Walking around campus demonstrates this - the amount of (undergrads) with earphones in, heads buried in their phones, and blindly walking across the road is ridiculous. Plus, there are few things as irritating as enjoying a nice hike only to come across some asshole who is blasting their shitty music for the whole world to hear. Although, a month ago, the wife and I did a local "hike" only to be annoyed the entire time by 30+ sorority girls singing and dancing the whole time. That is expected in the area, though.

If you couldn't guess, I like the silence! Over the last few years I have found a newer, deeper appreciation for the sounds of the woods and especially the stars at night. You don't get starry nights like this in light-polluted San Diego.

Otherwise, I like country (especially the "red dirt" type stuff, or w/e the genre is called) and metal.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a lot of people's mentality even in the city. They wrongly assume that EVERYONE else around them wants to listen to and feel their thumping and pounding at full volume and bass everywhere they go.

Six years ago four idiots showed up at the top of a trailhead that I was hunting and set up camp. They ran their generator and stereo for half the night. You could hear it from miles away. The day before they showed up that night, I had called in 5 different bulls within 2 miles of that spot. After that I spent two days trying and finally left for another spot when I was convinced there wasn't an elk left in that county.:mad:

I definitely think showing up late at a trailhead to party is poor form but I have come to expect it almost everywhere in CO. They have just as much right to the place as we do so my advice is to go 5MilesBack rather than .5MilesBack.

KJH

WKR
I always try to hunt in places where there isn't phone reception( on purpose) and never listen to anything except nature when I'm in the field. I want to be totally unplugged when I'm going hunting. When I'm driving I only listen to talk radio... whatever is on the station. I can't even listen to music anymore. Silence or talking is the best music for me.

The older I get the more I hate electronics.

I do plan some mornings in the deer stand and duck blind around college football games. I try to be out by the time the games come on.

One of my favorite things is to come out of the field after 12-15 days without contact to civilization (minus a couple minute long calls call to our pilot now and then) and read or listen to the news. A lot happens and the world really changes in a short period of time. Never ceases to surprise me.

Takem

WKR
No music hardly at all for me, when I do I go old school and turn on the radio in the car.... then when the ads annoy me after 5 mins I'm back to blowing my elk calls or listening to information on a podcast. Just birds chirping and wind blowing for me when I'm in the woods though, when packing out the mind has a way of tuning out exhaustion I always start thinking about the weirdest things.

This sounds about right to me. I kind of enjoy the crazy stuff my mind comes up with when I'm exhausted and in a little pain.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mostly metal. I listen to it because I absolutely adore the adrenaline rush I get from the music!
This. I get so much noise and overstimulation living in the city but a few days hunting and my mind can't rest. I love the piece and quiet but mentally it's such a drastic change I need to balance it. Also it's very motivating for long treks. I definitely don't listen to anything while hunting, just at camp or walking back at night. Earbuds only, gotta respect others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

AMann

FNG
Music on the mountain is fantastic. Some wake up and boil coffee, some try to be silent as can be. I enjoy hiking into spike with some good tunes and still have an understanding of whats going on around me. But when it's game time I tune into the woods and have my A game on. Just because youre in the "backcoutry" doesn't mean you can't enjoy your hike in if you know the animals your hunting aren't your neighbors

AMann

FNG
I could be listening to hip hop from the 90s, classic rock or the newst edm... Elk don't seem to have a preference. They still die