Favorite "Celebratory whisky"

Poser

WKR
George T Stagg, which is uncut barrel strength, is usually in the 144 proof range...however, it drinks like it is 90 proof. It is extremy complex and wonderful. Im not a fan of Stagg Jr.

If you are going to find it right now is the time to look. The 2015 Bufflo Trace Antique collection was released 2 weeks ago....you never know you might get lucky.

Which Pappy do you prefer? I like the 15 year the best of the big 3. If you find Weller Antique it is the same mash bill, same rickhouse, same barrel profile as Pappys but aged 12 years and for 1/4 the price.

I'm a big fan of George T Stagg. I usually get a bottle every other year or so. If you can't get your hand on Pappy anymore (really, who can?), Colonel EH Taylor is a very similar bourbon. Some people even theorize that it is the rejected Pappy barrels. At a barrel value of ~$30,000+, You damn well they're aren't pouring the rejects down the drain.

I have had the cask strength Blanton's...they call it Straight From The Barrel. I can't locate it for sale anywhere though, and I've been told it's only bottled for international markets and duty-free shops. No liquor store that I'm aware of can obtain it.

LOL 3k a 750? Who in the hell is fetching that price for it?

These guys are.
3e1d4e427d6542a546d6917e358df437.jpg

I just bought a case of it. Do you think I paid too much?

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the cask strength Blanton's...they call it Straight From The Barrel. I can't locate it for sale anywhere though, and I've been told it's only bottled for international markets and duty-free shops. No liquor store that I'm aware of can obtain it.

That's correct. I picked up mine while I was in Scotland. Fantastic stuff. I keep a few bottles of Blanton's single barrel at the house for the usual glass. The high octane stuff is reserved for special ocassions.

image_zpsh396jhw3.jpeg

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of George T Stagg. I usually get a bottle every other year or so. If you can't get your hand on Pappy anymore (really, who can?), Colonel EH Taylor is a very similar bourbon. Some people even theorize that it is the rejected Pappy barrels. At a barrel value of ~$30,000+, You damn well they're aren't pouring the rejects down the drain.

It isn't. As I've noted above the same mash bill, same barrel burning, same rickhouse as Pappy is the Weller 12 year and Antique.

Superb. I just got off the phone with Allen at Buffalo Trace and he advised me that: Of the 4 Blanton's bottled, only the traditional single barrel is available stateside. They had a very low production of GT Stagg and PVW with most retailers seeing one or none. Even the BT employees find it nearly impossible to acquire PVW. Most stores don't even know whether they will receive GTS or PVW until it shows up on delivery. It's basically a total find it-buy it deal. I called a couple stores in Ohio and one guy thinks he has some GT Stagg coming in this week...said he would hold me one and I could pick it up.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
These guys are.
3e1d4e427d6542a546d6917e358df437.jpg

I just bought a case of it. Do you think I paid too much?

They may be advertising it for that, but I would seriously doubt anyone is buying it for that when it can be found for a fraction of that on the secondary market.

And from someone who has drank a lot of PVW I still maintain the 15 year is the best of the 3 in the Family Reserve trio.

dotman

WKR
I'm not too picky so depends on what catches my fancy. I was shocked the other day when I saw the orange label old grandad was going for $25 a liter. Jamison is always a good staple. Temple ton Rye used to be worth the $35 but they changed something up when they went national, just isn't the same. I don't take expensive stuff on the hunt.

Brendan

WKR
Easy. It's got an Elk on the bottle.

i-vXx66D5-L.jpg

It also helps I had 3 glasses on my last night in MT last year, and then went out and arrowed my first bull at sunrise the next morning. I almost had the same luck this year, so this is now a hunting camp staple for me (At the truck anyways...)

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
In Canada I really like Gibsons. I've never found it in the US. I pick it up at various border crossing duty free shops. Silver is good but the Gold and 17 year old stuff is fantastic.

This Valentine's Limited is also an excellent local bourbon

I'll have to look into the Costco plan!

:D

Poser

WKR
7f7368de1500a2ecbfd165bf73111fb3.jpg

I recently drank this, which was terrible (happened to have it). I thought it funny that Jim Beam's marketing team failed to comprehend that stag and elk are not only 2 different animals, but we don't even have stags in the US

Oh, and then there's the suggestion that KY has more elk than CO. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
LOL 3k a 750? Who in the hell is fetching that price for it?

As a Kentuckian, we really do put bourbon in our babies bottles, and life long bourbon drinker this "bourbon boom" is both a blessing and a curse.

As recent as 5 years ago I could point you to 5 different liquor stores in town that had PVW sitting on the shelves for weeks if not months after release. Now, things have gone seriously off the tracks. I love it for my state and our fine distillers, but bottles going for 3 - 4 x or greater MSRP is ridiculous.

If want a true "treat" search out a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 90 proof, no longer made, which originally sold for 25$ a 750. Exquisite stuff.

I haven't had the fortune of trying any papy, but feel the same way about Weller. Used to be able to get the 12 year for $25 every time I walked into the store. Now you're lucky to find the blended 4 year, which I also got for $23 for a handle back in the day. The orphan barrel whiskeys are very good, especially Barterhouse, but you certainly pay for them and they're also difficult to find. I have also tried 25 year old blowhard which was a treat. Tried Angel's Envy for the first time this weekend and it is also quite good. Might have to pony up to try some papy 15 at some point.

Poser

WKR
Yeah, living in a major market in the Southeast, acquiring Pappy used to not be a problem. Then, about 6 or 7 years ago, you had to be on a waiting list to get it, which still wasn't a problem. Then the allotments got so small that the waiting list was reserved for high rollers, politicians and the store employees. There are 2-3 restaurant bars in town that usually have at least a bottle of 12 year, sometimes a 15 year and occasionally even a 23 year, but you're looking to pay $50 for a glass. I have a friend whose family are the PVW distillers. He opted out of the family business (I still think he was crazy not to go into it) and even he, a direct family member, can seldom get his hands on a bottle. As mentioned above, there are certain benefits to the "bourbon boom like being able to get a respectable glass of bourbon in most any part of the country, but, much like sheep hunting, you can't help but resent those who are responsible for inflating the price.

My home state of Tennessee was a bit late to show up to the whiskey trend. Until just a few years ago, no new distilleries could be opened in Tennessee so Jack Daniels and George Dickel were the only game in town with JD dominating the market share with their over marketed and highly over rated product. Dickel no 12 is pretty good as is Dickel Barrel Select and Dickel Rye. I'm not a fan of the black label, though, which is the most commonly available GD product. Since they changed the laws, some new Tennessee Whisky distillers have jumped in the game, but none of the new ones are very good and Jack Daniels lobbied hard to prevent any new competition. Its tough business model to get into. Where do you find a Tennessee Whisky master distiller? You'd have to hire a underling away from JD or GD. Then, after perfecting a recipe, you're looking at a minimum of 4 years before you have a product on the shelf and that assumes you have enough money to keep production going, market your new product and find proper distribution.

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
Agree on the Angels Envy, COlineman78. Also like Basil Haden's, though it's very light.

This one is in my case and waiting to be tried. Aged 22 years and reputed to be excellent.

I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen Maker's 46 mentioned in all of this, or maybe I just didn't read through all the threads thoroughly enough.