Favorite "Celebratory whisky"

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen Maker's 46 mentioned in all of this, or maybe I just didn't read through all the threads thoroughly enough.

I do like Maker's 46 a lot. But, once I discovered Blanton's, I'm hard pressed to spend money on anything else unless it's just something to add to the collection.

I was at many of the Kentucky distilleries back in April and we were able to taste some very nice batches. It's really impressive to look into huge vats of fermenting mash and taste the raw mash. Just as awesome...walking through rick-houses and looking at many hundreds of old barrels just biding their time. The smell of those houses in the warm spring air is just indescribable. If you're ever in KY and have time I definitely recommend that you visit a good distillery.

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
I was at many of the Kentucky distilleries back in April and we were able to taste some very nice batches. It's really impressive to look into huge vats of fermenting mash and taste the raw mash. Just as awesome...walking through rick-houses and looking at many hundreds of old barrels just biding their time. The smell of those houses in the warm spring air is just indescribable. If you're ever in KY and have time I definitely recommend that you visit a good distillery.

Same applies to Scotland. I have a bottle of Glenlivet at the house that I pulled from a barrel. I got to fill out the label and sign the register and everything. Only had one dram from it so far and it's pretty nice.

Logan T

WKR
Yeah, living in a major market in the Southeast, acquiring Pappy used to not be a problem. Then, about 6 or 7 years ago, you had to be on a waiting list to get it, which still wasn't a problem. Then the allotments got so small that the waiting list was reserved for high rollers, politicians and the store employees. There are 2-3 restaurant bars in town that usually have at least a bottle of 12 year, sometimes a 15 year and occasionally even a 23 year, but you're looking to pay $50 for a glass. I have a friend whose family are the PVW distillers. He opted out of the family business (I still think he was crazy not to go into it) and even he, a direct family member, can seldom get his hands on a bottle. As mentioned above, there are certain benefits to the "bourbon boom like being able to get a respectable glass of bourbon in most any part of the country, but, much like sheep hunting, you can't help but resent those who are responsible for inflating the price.

My home state of Tennessee was a bit late to show up to the whiskey trend. Until just a few years ago, no new distilleries could be opened in Tennessee so Jack Daniels and George Dickel were the only game in town with JD dominating the market share with their over marketed and highly over rated product. Dickel no 12 is pretty good as is Dickel Barrel Select and Dickel Rye. I'm not a fan of the black label, though, which is the most commonly available GD product. Since they changed the laws, some new Tennessee Whisky distillers have jumped in the game, but none of the new ones are very good and Jack Daniels lobbied hard to prevent any new competition. Its tough business model to get into. Where do you find a Tennessee Whisky master distiller? You'd have to hire a underling away from JD or GD. Then, after perfecting a recipe, you're looking at a minimum of 4 years before you have a product on the shelf and that assumes you have enough money to keep production going, market your new product and find proper distribution.

Dickel....... That's definitely no celebratory drink! That stuff is used to push an obnoxious guy past his limit and quiet him up in my areas!

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up on Dickel.

All this talk of whisky and bourbon all day long has got me celebrating an excellent Wednesday with a 21 year old Glendronach aged in a sherry cask.

image_zpslk3wm8dj.jpeg

Trial153

WKR
Favorite "Celebratory whisky"

Lots of great single malts....it would be hard for me to pick one. One thing I know is....Lagavulin is the best liquid on earth.

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great single malts....it would be hard for me to pick one. One this I know is....Lagavulin is the best liquid on earth.

Noted. I'll pour a glass of that, next. I have a bottle of their 18 year old double matured distillers edition that I've been nursing for 3 years now. An excellent Wednesday seems like a great time to have some.

Trial153

WKR
Noted. I'll pour a glass of that, next. I have a bottle of their 18 year old double matured distillers edition that I've been nursing for 3 years now. An excellent Wednesday seems like a great time to have some.

Aye, laddie.

For those who appreciate high end Bourbon (especially wheated) give this a shot if you can find it:

I'm running extremely low on Weller. Not sure I can even get a proper glass out of this one:

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider

And If you are ever in Kentucky look me up!

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
This thread has had me thinking about Scotch for 2 days now. I can't quit thinking about a bottle I have and I think now's the time to crack into it...

image_zpsyzb8aetm.jpeg

My God is this good. Snapped a picture after a dram. One of the top 5 single malts I've ever had.

Old_Navy

Lil-Rokslider
This thread has had me thinking about Scotch for 2 days now. I can't quit thinking about a bottle I have and I think now's the time to crack into it...

image_zpsyzb8aetm.jpeg

My God is this good. Snapped a picture after a dram. One of the top 5 single malts I've ever had.

Ouch! Just checked it out, That's about a $350 + Bottle. Glad you can afford the Good Stuff.

Last edited: