Tagging meat in cooler?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think that is what he is asking, HOW do you tag or identify the pieces for the Officer in case you or he is stopped??

I tag the bags if there are more than 1 and more than 1 animal. If the whole animal fits in one bag I don't worry about it (tagging the bag exterior as I put the tag into the bag). As for identifying the pieces I leave the bone in quarters unless its a long packout and if so I try to just remove the bone but leave the rest of the quarter all in tact so the pieces are thus known for what they are. Neck/flank/backstraps/loins are all pretty identifiable on their own.

wytx

WKR
Yes , proof of sex does not have to be attached. They changed this law couple of years ago in Wyoming.

(b) In hunt areas where the taking of any big game animal is restricted to a specific
sex of animal by regulation, either the visible external sex organs, head or antlers shall
accompany the carcass, or edible portions thereof.

Bar

Banned
Just to clarify above, wasn't talking about a true small body fawn. Its in reference to yearling bucks which fall in to the legal definition of a "buck fawn". They are similarly sized to a doe, their cheek patch is faint and they have short nubs. IE they look like an adult doe, esp. from a distance. There is a reason the brochures define tags as antlerless animals (and what level of antler/prong growth qualifies) rather than specifically doe or cow.

Feel free to be morally against unintentional harvesting of yearling buck/bulls if that is your stance, just don't confuse the legal definition of a fawn with a true new fawn that is visibly such.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just hate to see a true fawn shot.

cnelk

WKR
Have zip ties, duct tape, sharpie marker in your truck.

Cut a slice thru each piece of meat, run a zip tie thru it, tag it with some duct tape and write on it - species/name of hunter/type of meat part - put in game bags.

toss in coolers

Its really not that difficult...

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I have a question to throw into this discussion. I am hunting buck antelope this fall in Wyoming and flying to stay and meet with a friend.

I want two things:
a) Send my skull for a Euro mount to Skulls unlimited in Oklahoma ( MN does not allow transport of any ungulate full size skull)
b) Bring my meat back in a cooler

Am I able to separate the two and make a copy of the tag to send with the skull and bring the meat home with the original tag?

I have a question to throw into this discussion. I am hunting buck antelope this fall in Wyoming and flying to stay and meet with a friend.

I want two things:
a) Send my skull for a Euro mount to Skulls unlimited in Oklahoma ( MN does not allow transport of any ungulate full size skull)
b) Bring my meat back in a cooler

Am I able to separate the two and make a copy of the tag to send with the skull and bring the meat home with the original tag?

Not sure about Wyoming, but I think I read that in Colorado, a head (antlers) does not constitute evidence of sex if not attached to the carcass.

wytx

WKR
You will need an interstate game tag for your skull available from a game warden or office, $8. Put the carcass tag on the meat and the interstate game tag for the horns going to your taxidermist.
Your buck tag is an any sex tag so no proof of sex is required for the meat. In Wyoming the head is proof of sex.

Maverick940

Banned
I think that is what he is asking, HOW do you tag or identify the pieces for the Officer in case you or he is stopped??

Basically speaking, when an enforcement officer checks on me and my hunters and if I happen to have two hunters together, we produce our state issued identification (driver's licenses), our hunting licenses, appropriate tags and/or harvest tickets and corroborating purchase documentation, my guide license and all corresponding documentation, and all portions/pieces of whatever big game animals we have in possession. For ungulates and when guiding two hunters simultaneously, portions and pieces available for inspection are; four hind quarters, four front quarters, four rib halves, four deboned neck sides, four backstraps, evidence of sex, two sets of antlers with tags affixed (if appropriate), and two capes/hides. Enforcement has never had any problem identifying what is what and how much when it's done that way.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
You will need an interstate game tag for your skull available from a game warden or office, $8. Put the carcass tag on the meat and the interstate game tag for the horns going to your taxidermist.
Your buck tag is an any sex tag so no proof of sex is required for the meat. In Wyoming the head is proof of sex.

Thank you for your help on this. It's exactly what i was looking for. I do love the idea of the multi-colored zipties. We have two tags and only bringing one cooler.

Anyone ever tried to fit two deboned antelope in a Yeti Hopper 40?