CO Rich Creek and Rough and Tumble Trail in May?

Netherman

WKR
My dad and I will be driving down to visit my brother in Denver May 19th and wanted to do some hiking and fishing. I’ll be taking my brother on his first hunt this fall (second rifle deer in unit 49) so I’d like to do the hiking and fishing in the unit, checking a few trailheads and see if my GE skills translate to good glassing points.

Regarding the hiking and fishing It seems like the Rich Creek Rough and Tumble trail is everything we want, but I’m not sure if we’ll be too early in the season. I’m hoping some of the fine folks on this site could provide some insight and advice.

It looks like there is some lower elevation stuff around Buena Vista and Salida if there’s still too much snow when we get there, but I’d really like to tie some scouting in with this trip since I won’t have another chance.

Nick

elkduds

WKR
Hard to say how much snow will fall between now and then. If current weather continues, expect high creek levels from runoff, snow in shady north-facing patches, otherwise dry. These are CO-sized creeks, 10-15' across w bridges near trailheads. The hiking loop of those trails goes up to timberline, there will be snow most places @ that altitude. Beautiful scenery, trail not too steep (except going UP Tumble creek, most hike down it doing the loop), elk and moose in the area, sheep and goats up on Buffalo Peaks.

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on the weather there and hope it stays relatively dry.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk