Favorite boot?

Dunndm

WKR
I'm out in CA where the weather doesn't get colder then 20 and gets up to about 85... So gear out here is pretty difficult to perfect in my opinion. With that said, what's everyone's favorite boot?

I like them to be waterproof/goretex, pretty breathable and overall comfy. I'm currently using some cabelas tactical boot that is comfy and water proof but damn do they make my feet feel like a swamp. They work... For now. But what does everyone else like?

I hike/backpack anywhere from 2-12 miles in a day when I hunt. Just for more info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
For most hunting before the snow gets too bad I have gone to trail running shoes and have been pretty happy. I'll take gaiters but seldom use them. I like the La Sportiva Raptor and Akasha, as well as the New Balance Leadville.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
For most hunting before the snow gets too bad I have gone to trail running shoes and have been pretty happy. I'll take gaiters but seldom use them. I like the La Sportiva Raptor and Akasha, as well as the New Balance Leadville.

Guess I should add in, I have horrible ankles. Rolled them roughly 6-8 times if I had to guess. Maybe more. So I need at least a 4-6" high boot

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Uninsulated goretex hiking/backpacking boots are nice for those conditions and have a good amount of stiff ankle support. My current pair are North Face hedgehog fastpack gtx. I can deal with some pretty cold weather in them as well with warm socks.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Uninsulated goretex hiking/backpacking boots are nice for those conditions and have a good amount of stiff ankle support. My current pair are North Face hedgehog fastpack gtx. I can deal with some pretty cold weather in them as well with warm socks.

I'll have to look into them. I'm not sure if I run through boots fast or they just are bad boots. In 3 years I've had 3 pairs of boots all fairly expensive...

Gobbler36

WKR
For what you describe with needed ankle support and climate your hunting in these two would suit your fancy
Schnees Beartooth II or the Schnees Timberline

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Similar climates here in AZ during hunting season. I'll probably get bashed for this, but my two pair that I go back and forth on are my Danner Gila and some old school Vasque Skywalks (way back when they were made in Italy). Tons of miles on both pairs and they hold up well here in the desert. When hunting quail and javelina (occasional desert mulie), areas have a ton of shale-type rock and the soles/support work great for me.

That being said, I have yet to venture over to Crispi boots. After my Danners die, I'll be looking at some Crispi Wyomings. My Vasques have been resoled 3 times and been wearing them since '98.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Similar climates here in AZ during hunting season. I'll probably get bashed for this, but my two pair that I go back and forth on are my Danner Gila and some old school Vasque Skywalks (way back when they were made in Italy). Tons of miles on both pairs and they hold up well here in the desert. When hunting quail and javelina (occasional desert mulie), areas have a ton of shale-type rock and the soles/support work great for me.

That being said, I have yet to venture over to Crispi boots. After my Danners die, I'll be looking at some Crispi Wyomings. My Vasques have been resoled 3 times and been wearing them since '98.

I'll look into both of those.

I was looking into both crispi and shnees boots, they are just super expensive.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider

Do the Raptor have a hard sole? I like to go with shoes when I can get away with it, but I learned the hard way walking on loose, hard rock all day in soft sole running shoes can cause problems.

Gobbler36

WKR
I'll look into both of those.

I was looking into both crispi and shnees boots, they are just super expensive.

Yes they are an investment but buy wear for 2-3 years spend $125 to get resoled and maintained and have for another 2-3 years, instead of buying new pair every other year

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Yes they are an investment but buy wear for 2-3 years spend $125 to get resoled and maintained and have for another 2-3 years, instead of buying new pair every other year

What ones would you recommend for what I need?

I've been using danner pronghorn the last 4 years they've held up really good put more miles on them than I care to count. Some say danners aren't what they used to be though, when these finally go out I might invest in some crispi or kenetreck heard good things about both.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I've been using danner pronghorn the last 4 years they've held up really good put more miles on them than I care to count. Some say danners aren't what they used to be though, when these finally go out I might invest in some crispi or kenetreck heard good things about both.

Never heard of kenetreck I'll have to check them out

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crispi Nevada a little insulation, super for bad ankles and fit most feet from what I have seen.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Crispi Nevada a little insulation, super for bad ankles and fit most feet from what I have seen.

It's just hard thinking insulation will be what I need considering it can be 75-90 but it can get cold it's a hard situation...

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Indeed tough choices but a great boot I have bad ankles and wear them through the summer and into October with no issues.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Indeed tough choices but a great boot I have bad ankles and wear them through the summer and into October with no issues.

I don't know the weather in WA but if it's similar to CA then maybe I'll have to go to a local dealer and ask there 2 cents

Jaker_cc

WKR
Never heard of kenetreck I'll have to check them out

In my opinion kenetrek will be way too hot for you when the weather is warm. They are great boots, waterproof, warm, stiff, great ankle support but I wouldn't describe them as breathable. Again, just my opinion. I've worn them from mid 60s to low teens and they were great. But if it's hot those aren't the boots I want on my feet

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
In my opinion kenetrek will be way too hot for you when the weather is warm. They are great boots, waterproof, warm, stiff, great ankle support but I wouldn't describe them as breathable. Again, just my opinion. I've worn them from mid 60s to low teens and they were great. But if it's hot those aren't the boots I want on my feet

I'm looking into the crispi and shnees but I have no idea what ones to even look at..
I saw the kenetrek and the leather all over them and thought the same thing. Really warm

topher89

WKR
Crispi Wyomings for me. I considered the Idaho's but decided that I didn't want the extra height for a boot that would also be used for summer hiking. If it was a dedicated hunting boot, I would have gone with the Idaho's