If you were moving west, where would it be?

Look at the states that you get a benefit from buying a lifetime license.

I believe it is AZ and ID. Someone on here will know better but if you move to AZ for a year you can buy a lifetime license and be in the resident pool of applicants. I think ID has something similar.

Arizona has a lifetime license and you only need to live there for 6 months, then you get resident draw odds for life even if you move (which I did). It’s not a cheap license to buy though. It cost me $666 for a lifetime hunting license.

Idaho has a lifetime license too, but I don’t believe it gets you resident draw odds if you leave the state.

Bend Oregon or Boise Idaho. Both provide a large enough community to provide family with good schools, places of employment and a diverse social setting. But both very close to great wilderness settings. Durango Co, Montrose Co, Bozeman Mt, would be very high on that list too.

SWOHTR

WKR
I love Idaho but will probably end up in eastern WA long-term. I bought a lifetime ID hunting license this year. I will have to pay nonres tag fees if/when I change residency. I also bought my infant son a lifetime hunting license.

Arizona has a lifetime license and you only need to live there for 6 months, then you get resident draw odds for life even if you move (which I did). It’s not a cheap license to buy though. It cost me $666 for a lifetime hunting license.

Idaho has a lifetime license too, but I don’t believe it gets you resident draw odds if you leave the state.

Idaho's lifetime license does put you in the resident tag pool, but you do have to pay nonresident tag prices if you move away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bend Oregon or Boise Idaho. Both provide a large enough community to provide family with good schools, places of employment and a diverse social setting. But both very close to great wilderness settings. Durango Co, Montrose Co, Bozeman Mt, would be very high on that list too.

I would scratch Boise off of the list, the place is growing much too fast, I live in Nampa just to the west and the growth projections say our population is set to double in the next 10 years. If you move to Idaho, I'd suggest someplace like Riggins, Grangeville or Lewiston

I would scratch Boise off of the list, the place is growing much too fast, I live in Nampa just to the west and the growth projections say our population is set to double in the next 10 years. If you move to Idaho, I'd suggest someplace like Riggins, Grangeville or Lewiston

Ehhh pretty familiar with it and I guess from
Your perspective I would be part of the problem (another damn Californian) (and i totally understand) I actually enjoy the benefits of a larger community. I like having good restaurants, choices in schools, diverse populations, etc. and of course plenty of Starbucks coffee :)
I very much enjoy all that boise still has to offer. It is actually very high on my list. I would really love it if my son goes to school there and plays baseball for boise state. They will have a baseball program again after more than 20 years without. Pretty cool place to go to school for sure either way. If baseball doesn’t happen for him in college he may still end up there.

Last edited:

541hunter

WKR
Stay away from Oregon. This state is a sinking ship.

matthewmt

WKR
Montana is truly a great place to be. Property is getting harder to come by and more expensive everyday. I'm in northwest MT,

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
As a native Idahoan I will say, I have no problem with people moving in just remember why you left those shitholes you currently live and dont make Idaho one.

Idaho, Montana or Arizona is where I would go if I was you.

Ehhh pretty familiar with it and I guess from
Your perspective I would be part of the problem (another damn Californian) (and i totally understand) I actually enjoy the benefits of a larger community. I like having good restaurants, choices in schools, diverse populations, etc. and of course plenty of Starbucks coffee :)
I very much enjoy all that boise still has to offer. It is actually very high on my list. I would really love it if my son goes to school there and plays baseball for boise state. They will have a baseball program again after more than 20 years without. Pretty cool place to go to school for sure either way. If baseball doesn’t happen for him in college he may still end up there.

I take no issue with any one individual who moves here after all I am a transplant myself, I'm just saying as a whole Boise and the surrounding communities in the valley are growing too big, too fast and the community as a whole is going to suffer. It wouldn't bother me so much if Boise stopped creeping north into the foothills and some of the finest mule deer winter range in the state, but nobody wants to develop out south in that flat, dry, and rocky desert

boom

WKR
if i were young and single, no kids.

i would move somewhere i could make a living. these are your earning years. dont be like me and leave all the time remaining to save for retirement ball up there at the end. if you start earlier, you can start smaller.

AND..i would move where there was a healthy population of date-able women. not unlike hunting; DATING, it is location, location location. you WANT a target rich environment.

hunting the the great outdoors. that ALWAYS works out. i've lived in several places, i always work out hunting. living where you cannot find a good job, and in a town full of men or only six women with all of their teeth..no thanks.

Poser

WKR
42. Single, no kids. I moved from Tennessee to Durango a year and a half ago. No way I’d live on the Front Range, but I couldn’t see living in a town any smaller than Durango either and I’m not sure how most anyone would do it without bringing their employment with them or being wealthy.
I’d examine the job situation closely. How much time do you want to spend driving to and from work? Being real close to hunting is nice but you go to work much more frequently. I’d also consider what other hobbies you have and how the access to them is. Snowboarding and Mtn Biking were just as important factors as hunting for me.

if i were young and single, no kids.

i would move somewhere i could make a living. these are your earning years. dont be like me and leave all the time remaining to save for retirement ball up there at the end. if you start earlier, you can start smaller.

AND..i would move where there was a healthy population of date-able women. not unlike hunting; DATING, it is location, location location. you WANT a target rich environment.

hunting the the great outdoors. that ALWAYS works out. i've lived in several places, i always work out hunting. living where you cannot find a good job, and in a town full of men or only six women with all of their teeth..no thanks.

I couldn't agree more. I made the decision to move to the mountains in my early 20's. Wanted to fish and hunt, but also make money and get married. Is Missoula a perfect town? Not by any means. However, it's a college town with lots of people in their 20's and 30's, large enough to have a decent economy and job market, and still has plenty of outdoor recreation close by. I was able to meet my wife here and start a good career, and have been able to enjoy some great hunts. For me it was a good compromise between recreation and the opportunities that a larger town can offer.

Oregon

WKR
I can’t go any further west. Except a block closer to the beach.
I’m very content here with exception to the politics and total mismanagement of our big game herds.
I need something outdoorsy year round. Plus, I don’t like heat.
If crab, clams, salmon, steelhead,tuna, halibut weren’t so important, and I didn’t make a living from the ocean I’d be in Northern Idaho.
They have salmon/steelhead, great bird hunting and plenty of antlered critters to chase. Graingeville, Lewiston, Riggins.

Idaho's lifetime license does put you in the resident tag pool, but you do have to pay nonresident tag prices if you move away

I didn’t realize Idaho’s lifetime license was useful if you moved away. I swear the podcast with Newberg and Brady Miller said otherwise....perhaps I misremember.

Arizona also charges you nonresident prices if you move away. A small price to pay to get resident odds in Coconino county and the Kaibab plateau.