LR Scope?

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok guys. I've been shooting Vortex scopes on my LR rifles. I'm looking at putting one of the "Dial the Distance" Scopes on, just for simplistic sakes. I understand I need to pick a bullet and have the turret "made" for me. That said what scopes do you recommend? Seems like there are getting to be a number of options out there now.

Not that it really matters a lot, but this will be on a .300 Win Mag, Model 700 XCR.

Thanks in advance,

Les

I have been using a Vortex viper 4-16x50 HS with a turret that I had made for it. I recently bought a Leupold VX6 3-18x50 cds ZL firedot windplex. This scope stock only moves about 18 moa on the dial but you can send it in to there custom shop and they can put a 2 turn zero lock on it that will get you a ton of adjustment. The nice thing is when zeroed out the dial cant move so if your using a scabbard or something the scope is locked in place. The turrets are also low profile.

I compared the viper to the Vx6 last night trying to figure out if it was worth the extra $ and I will say the VX6 optics are absolutely amazing and made the viper seem like a piece of junk. This was about an hour before last light on a gloomy evening. The VX6 is bad ass. The viper is headed down the road....

I bought the VX6 on amazon for $1150 shipped. Cabellas and sportsman's warehouse want around $1400 for them.

The 2 turn zero lock will be standard next year according to a few people. It will cost me $90 to up grade my scope and about 4 weeks in Leopold's hands.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is excellent info, exactly while I am looking at the Leupold CDS options right now. Forgive my ignorance as I am 98% an archer and just trying to figure this stuff out. I do have a build with a Vortex PST on it. 6-24X50 MRAD with FFP. It's nice, but I am looking for a hunting scope and for the .300 I think it would be more logical to range, dial, and squeeze versus trying to calculate everything out for the hold.

Would there be an advantage to getting one of the scopes with target turrets and adding the CDS to it? Or would that be a disadvantage? Would I get enough dial adjustment to get 1500 yards out of the VX6? Wouldn't shoot that in hunting scenarios but it might be fun to play....

Thanks for all of the advice and help guys.

I thought about getting the target turret which would get you out to 1500 most likely. problem with that is its a covered turret and when not covered it can spin on you (murphys law). I decied to get the zero lock after finding out that they can make your scope a 2 turn zero lock which should get you 30 moa or so. With the zerolock it cant move unless you want it. I also like the firedot windplex reticle. I can dial for elevation and use the windage marks for wind. Some guys think the windplex is too thick but after comparing it to the vortex BDC I think it will work just fine for my needs.

I just went thru all this the last couple weeks and called Leupold prob 5 times to get the knowledge I have on the Vx6. I think the 2 turn zero lock will be sweet

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You could always get the target turrets, run ballistics, verify them, and then create a cheat sheet. If you're shooting that far, you'll most likely have time to look at the cheat sheet and adjust........since you're going to have to adjust anyway for anything past 300 or so. With the right scope you could easily get to 1500.

gelton

WKR
Hopefully one of the long range guru's will chime in here, but just a normal MOA/MIL turret should outperform any CDS system at long range. Problem is a custom dial is set based on altitude and temp. I know for me here @ 900 ft in TX, anything past 4-500 yards will be way off at 10,000 ft in Colorado. Same with the temps. Unless you are building a long range gun specifically for WI, or, plan on having multiple turrets made, I found it much easier to just use a ballistics program like shooter on a smart phone and then dial.

I used a CDS for about 2 months and then found out it was easier to just learn the drops and dial them based on current barometric pressure and temp.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hopefully one of the long range guru's will chime in here, but just a normal MOA/MIL turret should outperform any CDS system at long range. Problem is a custom dial is set based on altitude and temp. I know for me here @ 900 ft in TX, anything past 4-500 yards will be way off at 10,000 ft in Colorado. Same with the temps. Unless you are building a long range gun specifically for WI, or, plan on having multiple turrets made, I found it much easier to just use a ballistics program like shooter on a smart phone and then dial.

I used a CDS for about 2 months and then found out it was easier to just learn the drops and dial them based on current barometric pressure and temp.

Also options, thanks for the input. You use Shooter? Are there any good videos or Youtube stuff out there to speed the learning curve?

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
To piggyback another question to this mess :)

Say I decide to stay with regular turrets, what would be good software options/apps to look into it for my caluculations?

gelton

WKR
Also options, thanks for the input. You use Shooter? Are there any good videos or Youtube stuff out there to speed the learning curve?

I love shooter. There are others out there that people use though. I found my best resource on youtube was this, however, I cant say that an 80+ part video series will shorten the learning curve :)

He does teach you how to do this all manually though without the need for software which is a great skill to learn.

SNIPER 101 Part 1 - Introduction - Rex Reviews - YouTube

I am hoping to have my 2 turn made with small moa numbers on the bottom so that I can dial for specific conditions as well. There is a company that makes turret labels Custom turret solutions that you can design your label any way you want it.

Dialing with a label out to 700 to 800 yards with varying conditions isn't gona change things much if your somewhat close on your elevations/ temps. If you gona try to kill an elk at 1200 yards this can be more critical. Play with a ballistics calculator and mess with all these varibles. go from 70 degs to 20 degs. 5000ft to 10000 ft.

I think the quick CDS dial for a 600 yard shot where an animal is only out in the open for a short time is better than pulling out my phone and shit. I need to dial quick and then spend time setting up for the shot.

gelton

WKR
I am hoping to have my 2 turn made with small moa numbers on the bottom so that I can dial for specific conditions as well. There is a company that makes turret labels Custom turret solutions that you can design your label any way you want it.

Dialing with a label out to 700 to 800 yards with varying conditions isn't gona change things much if your somewhat close on your elevations/ temps. If you gona try to kill an elk at 1200 yards this can be more critical. Play with a ballistics calculator and mess with all these varibles. go from 70 degs to 20 degs. 5000ft to 10000 ft.

I think the quick CDS dial for a 600 yard shot where an animal is only out in the open for a short time is better than pulling out my phone and shit. I need to dial quick and then spend time setting up for the shot.

The difference between 80 degrees to 30 degrees + 1000 ft elevation to 10,000 ft elevation for my .300 WM shooting 215 Bergers is about .5 minute of angle. At 600 yards that equates to 20 inches of difference. Better have a big target or alot of luck.

I agree with some of your post though, but at the end of the day, long range shooting has to be precise whether that comes from a software program or taped drops on your stock based on the elevation and mean temp where you are hunting, it doesn't really matter. Have to be ethical when choosing to shoot long range (which I have tons of practice at the range with but have never taken anything past 500 yards with my rifle, so not trying to act as an expert here) but 21 inch difference leaves much to be desired.

.5 moa at 600 yards is 3 inches... 1 moa at 600 is roughly 6 inches. I hunt between 4500 and 7500 feet here in Montana and the temp swings are not that much so out to 800 yards I don't see much of a change. My turrets get set for 6000ft and 36 deg weather. If your gona hunt at 1000 ft and then at 10000 ft then the CDS system is a no go. When I hunt high country in Wyoming 10k ft I use a different label for my turret.

gelton

WKR
.5 moa at 600 yards is 3 inches... 1 moa at 600 is roughly 6 inches. I hunt between 4500 and 7500 feet here in Montana and the temp swings are not that much so out to 800 yards I don't see much of a change. My turrets get set for 6000ft and 36 deg weather. If your gona hunt at 1000 ft and then at 10000 ft then the CDS system is a no go. When I hunt high country in Wyoming 10k ft I use a different label for my turret.

You are correct...was looking at a chart and confused MILS with MOA...

Looking at a ballistic calculator shit starts to matter a lot past 800 yards if your shooting a magnum with hi BC bullets. I have never shot at an animal past 800 yards. That's my max range on an elk at this time with my skills and equipment. True long range stuff say 1200 yards or so needs to be exact that's where the G7 range finder comes in to place and dialing exactly. In my opinion the set turret is good to 800 if you are keeping things realativley close. like one day hunting at 6000ft the next at 8000 ft. given that example my gun would be off by 3 inches at 800 yards. I am ok with that...

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Go with an MOA or Mil turret and get a ballistics app such as Ballistic AE and build yourself dope charts for the area you'll be hunting (avg temp/elevation) with the bullet and load you are using. (Ballistic AE is a very helpful app but can be a little complex so watch the youtube tutorials)

The problem I run into with a custom cut turret with "dial to yardage" is the areas I hunt range from 3000' elevation to 11000' elevation and 75 degrees F to -15 degrees F. That being the case; bullet flight is going to change drastically through that elevation and temperature range. Now of course a guy could buy numerous custom cut turrets for different areas he hunts or different loads he uses but why waste the time and money when you could just shoot in MOA or Mil and pre build a chart for that location and check the weather? This system has worked flawless for me over the last few years. I have numerous dope charts that I have formatted to a small size, laminated then put Velcro on my front scope cap and attached my chart so when I flip it up its right there in my face and easy to change out for a different area. Range, dial, shoot, grab and grin...

I'm running a VX3 4.5-14 CDS scope with 20MOA rail for my do all mid range (0-600yd) hunting rifle and instead of having Luepold send me a custom cut turret I just asked them to send me a standard MOA turret with a zero stop (the turret that comes on a CDS is MOA but does not have a zero stop)

Hope this helps. I just think knowing MOA or Mil will make you a better/more knowledgeable shooter in the long run and will be a more consistent reliable set up when hunting different locations. ALWAYS verify your dope before hunting if possible...

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
Go with an MOA or Mil turret and get a ballistics app such as Ballistic AE and build yourself dope charts for the area you'll be hunting (avg temp/elevation) with the bullet and load you are using. (Ballistic AE is a very helpful app but can be a little complex so watch the youtube tutorials)

The problem I run into with a custom cut turret with "dial to yardage" is the areas I hunt range from 3000' elevation to 11000' elevation and 75 degrees F to -15 degrees F. That being the case; bullet flight is going to change drastically through that elevation and temperature range. Now of course a guy could buy numerous custom cut turrets for different areas he hunts or different loads he uses but why waste the time and money when you could just shoot in MOA or Mil and pre build a chart for that location and check the weather? This system has worked flawless for me over the last few years. I have numerous dope charts that I have formatted to a small size, laminated then put Velcro on my front scope cap and attached my chart so when I flip it up its right there in my face and easy to change out for a different area. Range, dial, shoot, grab and grin...

I'm running a VX3 4.5-14 CDS scope with 20MOA rail for my do all mid range (0-600yd) hunting rifle and instead of having Luepold send me a custom cut turret I just asked them to send me a standard MOA turret with a zero stop (the turret that comes on a CDS is MOA but does not have a zero stop)

Hope this helps. I just think knowing MOA or Mil will make you a better/more knowledgeable shooter in the long run and will be a more consistent reliable set up when hunting different locations. ALWAYS verify your dope before hunting if possible...

This is exactly what I did BTW...

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow. Great info guys! Thanks. MIL or MOA, why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fire_9

WKR
There are a lot of good options out there but it's hard to go wrong with leupold. Just make sure you get something with a zero stop. They can be a lifesaver. MIL or MOA is a personal preference. Whichever route you go just make sure your reticle matches your turret. I prefer mils because of the smaller numbers and fewer clicks to get on target but it's easier to run calculations with minutes....

brushape

WKR
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1476979138.464541.jpg

4-16 hslr with zero stop, wrapped white electrical tape on the turret and mark my yardages with a pen when I figure out my hunt elevation and weather works great and cheap I only mark to 600 as it gets more technical passed that and I'll just pull out the app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk