Spotting scope dilemma

Hey all! I’ve got a few deal options rn and am curious what y’all think. I primarily hunt sheep and goat in Alaska. I’m young (23 M) and don’t have a ton of money to spend on a scope, but I definitely understand the importance of good glass.

Option 1: Leupold SX-4 20-60 x 80 on FB marketplace. Brand new in box for 700 with neoprene sleeve.

Option 2: Vortex Razor (Gen 1) 20-60 x 85 at cabelas for 900.

Option 3: Vortex Viper HD 20-60 x 85 on BlackOvis for 900 w/ free summit carbon fiber tripod.

I’m tempted to go with the mid line spotting scopes to save a touch of money to be able to get some clothing upgrades I need, but the razor is very nice. Definitely open to other options and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Wyo_hntr

WKR
As someone who went through the "I'll just get the cheaper one, and won't regret it" as well, don't. If you want to be able to use and enjoy your spotting scope, do not compromise.

With the money I spent on lower level spotters, I could've just bought a good one from the start.

Redfield rampage 20-60, Athlon ares 15-45, kowa 664 (actually a really nice spotter w/ fixed 30wa), and finally a kowa 774.

If you're set on vortex, get the razor. If not dead set on vortex, look through a kowa.

jimh406

WKR
You'll see the biggest difference in low light and on higher power. The Viper is a significant step down from the Razor. I don't have experience with the Leupold.

One that you didn't mention is the newer Razor HD Gen 2 13-39 x 56. It's quite a lot smaller/lighter and although I don't have that size, it's quite a bit smaller and should fit in a pack better. I have two Razor HD Gen 2 scopes of the first two sizes that I use most days to view wildlife. I prefer them over Gen 1 for a few reasons including controls.

I'm assuming you have some time before you pull the trigger. You should have a lot of options in used Razors on here and other sites for good prices. Do search for the best prices. It's fairly common to find Vortex discounted from time to time.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the best glass you can afford. I'd either go Leupold or Razor from your list. A good spotting scope should outlast most of your clothing items.

I'd skip the Viper HD, unless you don't have a tripod.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
What was your plan if you bought the Razor? The Leupold gives you a ~$200 budget for a tripod, and you can definitely pick something up within that price range.

OP
Sheepshape
What was your plan if you bought the Razor? The Leupold gives you a ~$200 budget for a tripod, and you can definitely pick something up within that price range.

Have you considered looking at some 15X binocs?

With the razor would probably just have to wait a bit to get a tripod and be out a bit more money. 15x binos would definitely not cut it for sheep hunting. I’ll likely not be able to justify a swavorski or kowa. Looking for quality without spending that much.

First find a new credit card with a reward program you like, that also offers 0% APR balance transfers until Jan 2025, etc. Once you get that set up, go to CameralandNY and get a Swaro 85mm w 20-50X eye piece. Charge to your existing credit card, then once it posts, transfer the balance to the 0% APR card and pay that sucker off before the summer. Buy once, cry once. Finally, cut up the new credit card and throw it in the trash.

Matt G.

WKR
I would also look at the older swaro non hd 65 scopes as they can had around 1200 or less

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I have the 15-45x60 SX-4 and a 13-39x50 Vortex Razor. Above 30x the Leupold was rough on my eyes. I don't think the Razor and the SX-4 are in the same league.

Deadfall

WKR
Man don't do it. If hunting sheep and goats. Swarovski is only way to go!!! Doc give the best advice!

That there stuff is ok for normal hunts. NOT for sheep or goats though.

Except vortex....that junk good for nothing!

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
^^^Skip the Viper and that Leupold SX4. They're not good.

Id wait for a used Golden Ring HD 12-40

Bought used, they are 800-1200 dollars. It's the lightest/smallest offering with good glass. (You might actually bring it with you its so compact)

The gen 1 Razors are decent too and will get you ~3 minutes more light gathering on either end of the day compared to the Gold Ring. Plus more magnification of course. But the con is that it's bigger and heavier. So what's more important is your call. You really have to try stuff side-by-side.

Last edited:

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Have used both the 65 & 85 leupold sx4 spotters for sheep/deer hunting. I thought they worked well. However I do not have experience with “alpha glass” so take my guidance for what it’s worth..

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
There's a vortex rzr with a tripod for sale on ebay right now for 900. Those gen 1 rzrs can usually be found used for a good price. People will tell you to spend more money, but you know your finances and how much you can spend. Tune them out and stick with your plan.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk