Grinders

BigDog00

WKR
I'm looking at getting a grinder and processing my own meat. I've looked through the other threads on here and can't make up my mind. The cabelas grinders seem like they are highly recommended and they just so happen to be on sale right now. Originally I was thinking about the 3/4 hp but now I'm wondering if I should just get the 1 hp unit. Does it make a difference in the plate size? The 1 hp is a #22 and the 3/4 hp is smaller. Also, should I consider a LEM or a Weston? I think I read that the LEM's are pretty loud compared to the cabelas. I would be using it for an elk, deer, and possibly antelope. Thoughts on brands ans sizes?

I'm looking at getting a grinder and processing my own meat. I've looked through the other threads on here and can't make up my mind. The cabelas grinders seem like they are highly recommended and they just so happen to be on sale right now. Originally I was thinking about the 3/4 hp but now I'm wondering if I should just get the 1 hp unit. Does it make a difference in the plate size? The 1 hp is a #22 and the 3/4 hp is smaller. Also, should I consider a LEM or a Weston? I think I read that the LEM's are pretty loud compared to the cabelas. I would be using it for an elk, deer, and possibly antelope. Thoughts on brands ans sizes?

My older Cabelas grinder has Weston stamped parts in it. It also appears to either be the same or a perfect licensed copy of the current "Butcher Series" from Weston. Mine was made in China for what that's worth, not sure about the Weston branded version.

However, Cabelas fairly recently discontinued that grinder and replaced it with a newer model. Not sure if the newer Cabelas grinders are also Westons dressed up differently or what, but they don't look like the Butcher Series anymore. The gearbox looks similar, but everything else is different.

I've got a cabelas 3/4 hp grinder and it is everything I need it to be. The wife and I process our own elk and deer and it grinds hamburger faster then we can feed it. I can't imagine needing anything bigger but to each his own.... As far as the other ones I've had a LEM and a Northern Freight and the cabelas is night and day better.

I have a Weston 3/4hp that I got new off ebay for $50. I do a couple animals a year making burger, sausage, and brats. The Weston does everything I need it to easily.