Colorado Unit 201 Archery Mule Deer Advice

wardbow

FNG
I have an archery mulie tag for Colorado unit 201 this year. After a mid July scouting trip touching on the south eastern portion of the unit, and the highest peaks to the north, I realize this unit has more country to cover. My three days of scouting revealed a lot of small bucks, a couple decent bucks, and an understanding that an elk tag would be great!
Any advice, general or specific would be great, PMs welcomed.

Thank you,
Ward

Nicklhead

FNG
Ward

I saw your post researching online for archery mule deer unit 201. How did your trip go? Did you harvest a buck? What areas did you find good animals in? Did you use a truck, four wheeler, or horses or mules. It seems like everyone always talks about the elk. That is why I’m going to hunt mule deer so I can see the elk and see if it is worth waiting another 10 years. I’d also like to put down a decent buck did you make it to diamond peak and middle mountain? Are they mountains or hills. Did you find advice from any locals that you would say I should contact. Is there anyone to contact that has good information that’s not trying to throw you in the wrong direction. I hope you where able to complete your hunt and bring home a nice buck. Please let me know what you ended up doing there. I’ll be going up over the next few weekends to really put some eye to glass

Thanks
Nick

Haha. A 3yo thread with 3 posts. Nobody helping each other, no follow up. Just 3 people asking the same question.

"people helping people... it's some powerful stuff."

Nicklhead

FNG
How did you guys fair in 201?

Had a nice buck first three days someone watched me with binoculars and stuck him next day never found him. He was the biggest deer I saw there small drop tine even. Good mass just outside ears. Was pinned down and could not move anymore by a monster 3x3 biggest body on a mule deer I’ve ever seen his velvet was grey. Took me a week to find another good group of deer worth chasing got lots of pictures of some deer in the 150” range one pretty close to 175” never found him again. I did end up shooting a 163” buck on day 23. Took bear three days later. It was fun I wanted to see the elk there are some real nice elk there but I never saw one on the ground I think one guy harvested a bull. I have lots of information if someone has a tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicklhead

FNG
Haha. A 3yo thread with 3 posts. Nobody helping each other, no follow up. Just 3 people asking the same question.

"people helping people... it's some powerful stuff."

What help have you been to people asking on these posts. I read your posts and saw nothing. Don’t criticize if your not helping too.

What help have you been to people asking on these posts. I read your posts and saw nothing. Don’t criticize if your not helping too.

Relax pal. 201 isn’t a 1pt draw unit. Ive never hunted if given its draw rate. Which is why I find it funny that nobody is chiming in on a 6pt+ res draw unit.

Last edited:

Marble

WKR

It's because the internet has opened up forums like this for everyone to ask for everyone's spots. And it blows out good spots.

I've worked hard to learn and develope my spots. I've burned years and money being unsuccessful to finally be successful. That's what you'll have to do.

Nicklhead

FNG
Nicklhead, PM sent. I have a 3rd season Mule Deer tag for 201 and appreciative of any help to add to my efforts!

Ok I hunted an area call browns park a lot. I live in Colorado Springs area it was a long drive for me. I did archery so the bucks where in groups. All the big bucks you hear about must have been way up high where no vehicle access is because the biggest buck I saw was about 185” which is real respectable. Where are you from if I could sit with a map with you for 30 minutes I could show you some really good areas that I feel bucks will be congregating to later because the amount of doe’s that could change though due to doe’s want protection from rutting bucks. Hit me up somehow with an email. I’m not worried about giving up prime locations because it takes 7 to 8 years just for an archery tag and 20 plus for your rifle tag. Let’s figure out how to get ahold of each other without posting information to the whole web.

Nicklhead

FNG
Relax pal. 201 isn’t a 1pt draw unit. Ive never hunted if given its draw rate. Which is why I find it funny that nobody is chiming in on a 6pt+ res draw unit.

Well no one asked me until that post and I don’t live on the internet. I spend at least three days a week looking for animals in the areas I normally hunt. 201 is nobody’s normal hunting area. I figure the other people did not have success or they dont use the rockslide any more. It’s all good I take it your military have you ever gone into fort Carson to hunt there are real nice animals out there. Just have to work around the army training.

Nicklhead

FNG
I have an archery mulie tag for Colorado unit 201 this year. After a mid July scouting trip touching on the south eastern portion of the unit, and the highest peaks to the north, I realize this unit has more country to cover. My three days of scouting revealed a lot of small bucks, a couple decent bucks, and an understanding that an elk tag would be great!
Any advice, general or specific would be great, PMs welcomed.

Thank you,
Ward

Go out on cold springs check out browns park state wildlife there is a pond. Go put up a camera at the first pond you’ll see every buck in that area. There are more ponds where are you from I’m in Colorado Springs area I can show you a map of where I would look the high mountains in the north is where I saw the biggest buck hit me up with a private pm somehow I am not an internet person but I can get you in right places to find 160 plus deer but I would not expect to find much bigger unless you want to get down and nasty on your hunt grab a bear tag if you can if you get a deer up in the high area set up ground blind right away and check it every day once they hit it they will be back. They can’t resist a gut pile and it is legal to hunt over a guy pile. Squirrels will let you know when one is coming. Let me know how to reach you I do t know how to make conversation private not a tech guy.