Elk shape question

Going on my first elk hunt and going all out! I am going to CO and planning on backpacking in 5-6 miles. I live in Central Kansas where it's flat, so what I have been doing is 3 times a week I load my pack up (gradually adding weight I am only loaded with 30 lbs hoping to get to 50 by April) and walk on an incline (usually 7-12) on the treadmill for 2 miles which takes me 30 minutes I also play full court basket ball 3 times a week for 1-1.5 hours. My goal is by September to be able to walk incline for 6 miles with a 50lbs in my pack. Will this be in good shape? Or do I need to do some other things?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
That will prep you well. We don't have to be superman but able to walk at a high pace with elevated heart rate for extended periods and then do it for many days in a row. You are starting early which is key. Recommend come June do practice routine of multiple days in a row and see how you do. A heart rate monitor is a great tool as well to gauge how your progressing. Two additional items I hear people talk about elevation in Colorado if can recommend a scouting trip to see if you need to alter training and be prepared for packout if by yourself for mucho work that far in. Good luck

Gr8bawana

WKR
Good luck on your working out. Being prepared the best you can will definitely be to your advantage. The one thing that will be hard for you is the extreme change in elevation. Get there as early as possible to give yourself time to acclimate.

That's going to put you in a good spot, in my opinion. You're starting a lot earlier than most. Once you get to 50 lbs and are comfortable, try putting 80+ in it once in a while to simulate meat packout. There must be a river valley within a weekend trip that you could do some elevation gain/loss on the ground and get conditioned all those little muscles in your pelvis that you never knew you had until you need them to keep your balance. I think a lot of folks will tell you that the downhills are worse than the uphills, or at least as bad for a different set of reasons. Keeping my body in control going downhill under a load is something I still struggle with. Trekking poles should be on your gear list.
My experience is that when I started backpack hunting, I actually hike less per day with lighter loads than I did when I was car camping at the trail head. That's not an endorsement for slacking off, but if you're camped within a mile or so of where the animals are, you're actually going to be hiking less than if you were doing it Corey Jacobsen style from the trail head every morning.
Good luck!

FlyGuy

WKR
You seem to be on the right track. My only suggestion would be to add in some lunges/squats to build some leg strength. Since you are already loading up the pack it's a quick and simple adder that I think you will be happy you mixed in once you get to CO. Maybe 3 sets of 10 for each leg before and after. Anything you do in the gym is going to help, but if you just focus primarily on increasing Cardio endurance and improving leg strength you will have a more enjoyable hunt. Using the pack is great, I need to do more of that myself. Use your boots too if you can and find some slopes to walk up and down on the weekends. Once my legs got shakes, Going downhill was harder than I expected. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out for you!

Stairs are your new best friend. It'll get monotonous walking up and down them with a loaded pack but it'll be a great addition to your routine.

OP
H
Thx for all the input! I will definitely be adding in some other things to my routine. I do squats, lunges, etc but need to up my game thanks again all!