Home treadmills

I'm thinking about buying a treadmill for the home and was wondering if anyone has bought one recently.
As much as I'd love to actually get outside and walk, my part of Montana is flat and void of any mountain hiking trails that won't take an entire day to get to.

I'm efinitely not a runner, just need something that can simulate backpack cardio well and the wife can power walk on.

Are there any that can handle more weight? I'm 235 of awesomeness and with a loaded pack I can get to 335 pretty easily.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WKR
We have a cheap gold's gym brand one that Mrs406 pick up at Target or Walmart. Gets the job done. BUT I'm 210 (in shape) and these things max out around 235. So I'm on the upper end of pounding on this thing with each step.

I'd prefer one that inclined more and held more weight so I could pack up on it.

I do intervals/sprints on it for 5, do a kettle bell set or something body weight, and then do 5 on the basically matching stationary bike next to it.

5-8 of this rotation 3-4 days a week. 30-45 minutes. If you can motivate, it'll make a difference. After you see changes, you'll start thinking about eating differently to not mess up the work you've done.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Count me as anti-treadmil. I'm a little warmer for ellipticals, better on the joints and better range of motion.

Fun story: My workplace has a pretty sweet fitness center. I started seeing a trend after a while that the day AFTER I ran on the treadmill, they would be "out of order".... turns out they really can't build a quality treadmill that will take a pounding from a guy who's 6'4", 270lbs.

elkguide

WKR
Elliptical or rowing machine fan here.

I also hate running and since I am a bicycle nut I spend a lot of time on my indoor trainer. The high School has a pool that is open for adult swim time from 6 - 7 every evening so that is also part of my workout.

Mossy

WKR
I picked up a Nordic track elite 2 years ago and I use it hard every other day. It's the same as their commercial 1750 but named different for Sears. If you want serious use, you gotta be willing to spend some money. Weight capacity is 400lbs with a 15% incline and also has a decline feature.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wife has put thousands of miles on her Nordic track she wore out a couple other cheaper treadmills before I ponied up the money for a good one. Oh yea it's held me the couple times I've tried it too

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
You are going to have to drop some coin to get one that will handle a grown man and a heavy pack.

I am a flatlander as well. A good alternative I have found is dragging a tire. The heavier the tire, the steeper incline it simulates. Think about it, it is almost exactly the same as climbing. As the load increases, you lean further forward and become at a smaller angle with the ground, just like if the the terrain is steeper. I just load my pack and then tie the rope that goes to the tire to the bottom of my frame.

so make it a camping trip/cardio weekend trip and find the mountains instead. Most treadmills turn into nothing but clothes racks.

Shanw

We have the Nordic track x9i.
Incline goes to 40%
It's gets a lot of use between wife and I. One thing I'd say is a must if you plan on using it consistently is get the extended protection plan. We've used it a couple times and the repair rep says the only treadmills that don't break are the ones that aren't used.