Sciatica?

Any of you guys deal with it? A few weeks back, I tweaked my lower back somehow. I never really stopped moving, just started walking instead of jogging and lifting lighter weights. The pain was nagging, but not unbearable by any means. Now my back is better, but I'm starting to get a little pain that shoots down my right leg rom time to time and sometimes my right leg feels a little week. I'm still working out but taking it easy, nothing really heavy or dynamic and stretching a lot. If I stand still a long time my back will get tight, but I can bend forward a little and it eases up. Any other ideas?

From the sounds of it I was a little worse off than you are currently which is good for you. When I would stand up from sitting I was in so much pain I had to hold on to something to stay standing. Took a long time to get the muscles stretched out and I had to devote 30 minutes of stretching prior to any workout. It paid off in the long run.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
A few things that had helped me is yoga/stretching and cold plunges. Also I got a psoas stretching device and it works wonders. It’s pretty painful at first but you get used to it

WKR
It is helping....and strangely enough rucking helps with a light (30 lb) pack. It really fells more comfortable than just walking.
It's not strange at all, and is a good clue as to where the nerve pressure is likely originating.

If it were me, I'd keep walking and give it time.

I'd also avoid any stretching of the low back, which will likely make it worse or at least prolong the healing time.

EdP

WKR
Been there myself. Get to an ortho practice and get an MRI of your back. Then proceed from a base of knowledge instead of speculation. It may cost you a few dollars but will save a lot of pain over time. The sciatic nerve runs from your lower spine to the bottom of your foot. Pressure on the nerve where it goes thru the vertebrae can cause muscle weakness and pain anywhere along the nerve. It is important to understand what is causing pressure on the nerve. It could be stenosis (narrowing of the passage thru vertebrae), bulged disks, degraded vertebrae, or weakened core muscles. Knowing what you are dealing with will pay dividends in the long run.

psirus7

WKR
I just got diagnosed with sciatica this morning, so this thread is super helpful. I just hope it doesn't derail my early ‘24 fitness goals too much.

JakeSCH

WKR
Been dealing with mine for about a year, it only really flairs up when standing still or walking slow.

Like others have said, stretching and foam rollers. Pigeon pose, foam rolling hips and glutes significantly help. Mine doesn't prevent me from lifting at gym, just standing in a long line sucks because my foot goes numb plus the pain in my leg and calf.

Haro450

FNG
Get on youtube and look for SI joint reset. Sometimes lower back pain comes from your hip being out of place. I had this happen several times. Went to chiropractor he reset my hip pain gone. Decide I need a way to do it myself. I use a series of 3 stretches and it resets my hip and pain gone instantly. Depend on how bad the tightness my take a day or so to come down.

OP
S
Some great advice in this thread. I've been doing a lot of sciatica specific stretches I found online. Also, MTNTough has a stretching session for sciatica that is great. I've been feeling pretty much back to normal but still taking it easy on the weights and focusing more on walking/rucking.

Sled

WKR
From the sounds of it I was a little worse off than you are currently which is good for you. When I would stand up from sitting I was in so much pain I had to hold on to something to stay standing. Took a long time to get the muscles stretched out and I had to devote 30 minutes of stretching prior to any workout. It paid off in the long run.

I had two discs rupture when I was younger. PT told me I had tight hamstrings and to stretch. That resulted in shooting pain down the leg. Long story short, I got one of them fixed and deal with the other. It's been 24 years and I still deal with it but I'm pretty active in both my job and recreation.