Leupold LR Duplex

Can someone explain a little more about how this works? I have used the vortex BDC reticle and really like it for my style of hunting and shooting. Don't really think I want to play with turrets on longer shots and plan to be within 400 yards of anything im going to shoot.

With the vortex you plugged in your caliber, balistics, and what yardage you are centered at and it gave you an estimate of what each hash mark below center.

The leupold description says just zero it at 200 and then each hash down is 300, 400, 500. How does this work with different calibers and ballistics?

Firehawk

WKR
It works essentially the same way. Pretty simple. Biggest key is that they are designed to work at their Highest Magnification, so it you are at 6x instead of 9x etc., the hash mark will have a different point of impact. Unfortunately, my 13 year old son and I learned about this the hard way, on the nicest buck either of us have ever shot at.

I did later learn that the "pro" version app of Strelok actually lets you see the different values as you change the magnification.

Anyway, I never used my Leupold LR reticle as I sold it before I got to shoot an animal, but we have used the Burris version for many many many years. Ive killed elk as far away as 570 yards with the BP reticle on my Burris Signature. Can be a real life saver at long distance.

FH

OP
durangobrad
I cant seam to find a Leupold ballistics page or app? I know that Vortex and Burris both have this so you can plug in all your info and it tells you what each hash below your zero should be.

mechengr

FNG
The Leupold catalog will tell you what the subtensions are at max magnification. Even though they don't have a fancy calculator that visually shows yardage drop for each hash, you can get it done using the ballistic calculator of your choice. Most good calculators will allow you to specify yardage intervals. Simply set the interval to a low value, 5 or 10 or even 1 if you want to be picky. Also set the calculator to output in MOA. Then simply search for what yardage drop aligns with the subtensions given from Leupold

GKPrice

Banned
there are two versions of the Leupold LR reticle - one is the generic, which is "ok" if you're factoring an amply large kill zone - then there is the custom LR reticle that you choose when you send in velocity, bullet weight & BC, average temp and elevation, etc to the custom shop with your scope .... they work as advertised as did the now out of business Premier Reticle Co.

I've used Leupold variable scopes for alot of my shooting and hunting (until just recently) and never have had any reason to adjust any scope I was using to either the highest or lowest setting as those are and have been my two most used distances, close enough to smell or far enough to set up and kill, works for "me" anyway - I could probably get by nowadays with a fixed 10x and do just fine

brushape

WKR
Has anyone used this reticle on a 2-7 vx2? Wondering how it would work with the lower magnification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've shot coyotes with the VX2 2-7 w/LR dots. Works fine. Depending on the zero and caliber you may not get to 500 yards with them. As said above, look on the Leupold website for the drops from the cross hairs to each of the lower dots. Build a ballistics chart for the ammo you are shooting and understand the range where each dot hits with your cross hair zero. Tape a small chart on your stock after you verify at the range. I have LR dots, Varmint Hunter Reticule and B&C style Leupolds (Burris Ballistic Plex too) on various rifles so find the chart on the stock invaluable to keep things straight.

Leupold doesn't offer their own calculator to plug in your caliber and ballistics like Vortex or Nikon does, but you can accomplish the same thing by using the Strelok app. It has calculators for quite a few reticles, including the Leupold LR duplex. This will be more precise than assuming each hash is 300, 400, 500, etc.

In fact, with the same caliber and ballistics as a constant, by switching back and forth between Vortex BDC and Leupold LR in Strelok you find that that the two reticles will show different distances at each corresponding hash mark- even though they both claim to be 300, 400, 500 etc. This is pretty telling that each reticle can vary and you should use a calculator with your specific reticle and load data to be more precise.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Pick a load between 2800-3000 fps or so. Zero at 400 yards using the bottom dot. It will be calibrated pretty darn close at all ranges.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Can someone explain a little more about how this works? I have used the vortex BDC reticle and really like it for my style of hunting and shooting. Don't really think I want to play with turrets on longer shots and plan to be within 400 yards of anything im going to shoot.

With the vortex you plugged in your caliber, balistics, and what yardage you are centered at and it gave you an estimate of what each hash mark below center.

The leupold description says just zero it at 200 and then each hash down is 300, 400, 500. How does this work with different calibers and ballistics?

The best way "imo" to use a reticle like this regardless of which brand is to "calibrate" it to your rifle in the field. It's not very hard.

1. Sight your rifle/scope in at your desired starting yardage. (usually 100-200 yds.
  2. Set up a tall piece of card board or plywood at max yardage you intend to use the reticle. (usually 500-600 yds.)
  3. Put a bullseye toward the top of the plywood and shoot a 5 shot group at it using the main cross hair.
  4. Circle the group and color it in so you can see it through the scope from you shooting position. (the group will be way below your original point of aim.)
  5. From your shooting position aim your main crosshair at the bullseye and adjust your magnification down from the max until your bottom hash-mark in you scope lines up with the group you shot.
  6. Make a small mark on your scope so you know exactly where to set the power when using the reticle for holdovers in the field.

Now your rifle/scope have been zeroed at the min and max range, and the hash-marks in-between will be very close. You should obviously verify at the range.

EDIT: To add that I'm talking strictly 2nd focal plane reticles.