Wyoming preference point question

colonel00

WKR
This seems like a silly question but I am not finding a definite answer on the wgfd site or searching. Let's say I am looking at applying for an area and recent history shows that I (or my group) will need 6 preference points to have a chance at drawing. Say I currently have 4 points and purchase one here before the end of the month, thus totalling 5 points. If I apply for the area next spring is my application counted as number 6 or am I still at the level of 5 points?

muleman

WKR
Still at 5 points because you haven't earned or bought #6 at the time of application.

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Thanks. That is what I was thinking but the more I thought about it my silly little brain kept twisting it around in circles.

Solitude

WKR
Agree with the answer, but I had an experience where a GMU was undersubscribed and I drew it when the oddsmakers said no way. In addition, there is always the random....keep the faith!

OP
colonel00

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, I know there is always a chance but anymore, it seems we need to plan trips a year or two in advance since my hunting buddies all have kids now and it is harder for them to get away. I am actually starting to entertain more solo opportunities. Anyway, I was just looking towards the future where we could reasonably guess that we should have good odds to draw in 2016 which leaves me a couple Alaska and perhaps a NM trip before we chase elk in Wyoming again.